Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 8:00pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DESERT CAMP CENTURY WEEK - 3.MAR to 8.MAR.19 (Read 1289 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

DESERT CAMP CENTURY WEEK - 3.MAR to 8.MAR.19
Mar 13th, 2019, 1:27pm

3-Mar-19      SUN -       day 1Tucson to Nogales ↑15%  
On this second week of riding with Pac Tour, we rode all of the first day from last week and some of the second day of last week on our way south to the Mexican border, to Nogales. The border was no more than a quarter mile south of the hotel. While I doubted that the workout I received the first week had any impact on my fitness, it is now clear to me that it did. My moving average on this day on a ride nearly double in length and climbing was more than a full mile per hour faster. That's fairly significant in my opinion. We'll see what succeeding rides bring.  
 BIKE: DFXL166; start time: 07:36; end: 14:05; avg speed:15.9; max: 40.4; climb: 3051; miles:80.69; mtd miles:130.95; ytd miles:1623.39  
 SUNNY; wind: SSW 15-18; start  temp: 54; end: 73  

OPEN THE MAP LINK TO VIEW PHOTOS FROM THIS DAY'S RIDE
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3432865566

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: DESERT CAMP CENTURY WEEK - 3.MAR to 8.MAR.19
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2019, 1:31pm

4-Mar-19      MON -       day 2 Nogales to Sierra Vista ↑8%  
From Nogales, we made our way to Patagonia for the first rest stop, then the 12-mile climb to Sonoita, not a rest stop there this time, and over the rolling hills to Elgin, which was the location of a rest stop. Just like yesterday, my pace was up vs last week even though our mileage and climbing was much more than that of the first week. From Elgin, we continued up hill, north and west and then north again, crossing some rolling hills which was the epitome of fun - momentum from the first downhill sustained passage over the next few rollers while barely turning the cranks! A turn to the east on a main highway, was a chug up hill for about 4 miles, until we reached the crest, which then was followed by a 9-mile downhill averaging 2%. While this is not much of a descent factor for most bikes, it is on a velomobile, as any descent can build to really brisk speeds. And any hill encountered while doing that barely affects the speed, even if just coasting. Finally reached the traffic light at Whetstone and turned right, with more descending until reaching the double uphill climb to the city of Huachuca where the lunch stop was located. After the better part of an hour, resumed the ride, continuing low gradient climbing and turning into Fort Huachuca to go to the office which processes Fort Passes. Unfortunately, they weren't issuing passes today due to a computer issue, so we left and continued on to the hotel.  
 BIKE: DFXL166; start time: 07:36; end: 13:42; avg speed:15.6; max: 54.4; climb: 3012; miles:72.3; mtd miles:203.25; ytd miles:1695.69  
 SUNNY; wind: SSW 5-10; start  temp: 45; end: 68  

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3435349150

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2019, 1:37pm

5-Mar-19      TUE -       day 3 east loop, SV to Bisbee & back ↑9%  
Challenge today was the 2 long climbs - the one to Bisbee, up and over Mule Pass, and the one from Elfreda to Tombstone, 15 miles of small chainring climbing followed by high speed descending with a very significant crosswind. It was enough to make me touch the brakes at 45 mph. It was also a narrow road with more than a little traffic as it is a major shortcut across the hills to Tombstone. Finally in Tombstone, it was very steep navigation of residential streets to get to the historic quarter of Tombstone near where our lunch stop was. Contrasting to the miles of climbing was the very long descent all the way from the top of Mule Pass, down through Bisbee, past the Lavender Mine, three quarters of the way around the roundabout, and north and downhill toward Double Adobe Road. That was fast! I reached my top speed of 47 mph for the day, in that section. The turn onto Double Adobe Road continued the descent, at which time I was coasting at 37 mph for miles. Eventually, it flattened out and my speed dropped to about 23, at which point I began pedaling again. That was sweet! Back to Tombstone, finished up lunch, crossed over the hills to the west of Tombstone, dropped down to the San Pedro River, and undertook the long climb to Sierra Vista. By this time, for some odd reason, I was feeling tired, so while the climb to Sierra Vista was not very steep, it was still a slow speed climb. So, despite high speed descents, for miles, the rolling average still came in at the low 14s. It is what it is, but overall, I still enjoyed the ride. That's the main thing.
 BIKE: DFXL166; start time: 07:31; end: 16:08; avg speed:14.3; max: 47; climb: 4245; miles:100.42; mtd miles:303.67; ytd miles:1796.11  
 SUNNY; wind: SW 10-15; start  temp: 45; end: 73  

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3438249614

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2019, 1:43pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2019, 1:42pm

6-Mar-19      WED -       day 4 west loop, SV to Sonoita ↑15%  
This is where the Fort Huachuca Visitor Pass came in handy. Doug and I had driven back over to the Fort Monday evening after dinner and getting a new pass was then possible, and a piece of cake. So, pass in hand, I was taking the velo over the mountain route which is where the base crossing is. That was a lot of tough climbing from the hotel to the base entry. This was definitely the most challenging riding of the entire 2 weeks, so far. Did about 2000 ft of climbing in the 20 miles of sharp ascents and winding descents between the entry on the east boundary and the exit on the west boundary. The advantage in going this way is much more interesting scenery and very low traffic. But this kind of riding is highly disadvantageous on the velo. Even so, I hadn't decided not to return that way - I simply had doubts. The fact of the matter is, I made every climb including the 15% and 14% which weren't super long but were longer than anything of that magnitude during previous days. Once past the western boundary of the Fort, the sharp ascents and descents continued. However, outside the boundary, I eventually descended a seemingly steep shoulder of the mountain which seemed like much more of a descent than the 200 ft drop it turned out to be when I checked the record. It was at that point I'd pretty much made up my mind to go back to Sierra Vista via the highway. But first, I needed to make my way over to Sonoita for lunch. I actually had two decisions to make - one was to continue on to Patagonia and then turn back and do the 12-mile climb back to Sonoita. Doing that would make the day a 100 mile day. But I'd been up that 12-mile climb twice in 2 weeks and I had no desire to do it again. So I passed on the 100 mile option and on returning through the Fort. I decided instead to go back to Elgin Rd, turn left, and follow that up to the main highway we had taken the previous Monday. I went back to Sierra Vista via the highway, enjoying light traffic on each, and getting back to the hotel by mid-afternoon, before rush hour started.  I had no regrets about taking the easy way back. I had previously stated I like challenges, but on the velomobile, there are challenges I'll pass on if there is an alternative.  
 BIKE: DFXL166; start time: 07:36; end: 14:07; avg speed:14.3; max: 45.2; climb: 3130; miles:74.6; mtd miles:378.27; ytd miles:1870.71  
 SUNNY; wind: SSW 22-25; start  temp: 55; end: 78  

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3440657612

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2019, 2:21pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2019, 1:49pm

7-Mar-19      THU -       day 5 north loop SV to Benson ↑13%  
Doug added a couple links to my chain last night, to make up for the link lost when the chain broke last week. That resulted in chain skip when on the small ring on most of the rear cogs. So I endeavored to do all the climbing in the big ring, which of course was not possible for all of it. When I couldn't, I did the climbing on the 2 largest cogs where chain skip wasn't happening. Adjusting the barrel did very little to help. Steepest grade I noticed was the 13% final climb into Tombstone on Charleston Rd. Then there was the 11% climb out of Benson. That's a relatively short climb at 0.2 mile, but I still had to stay in low gears during the next couple of miles because I have to shift to the second smallest cog to shift to the large chainring and the climbing was too steep, yet, to do that. Finally reached the point of turning onto the divided highway to head south but continue mild climbing to Kartchner Caverns where the lunch stop was located. After lunch, I got back onto the double highway, went about 5 miles, and had my first flat of the trip. A screw, screwed me! The screw penetrated the tire, tube, and rim! It took a bit of effort to remove it. There was a hole in the rim, so I booted that right over the rim tape (tubeless rim tape) by using a strip of Park Boot material. I put a new tube in and a new tire on. I could patch the other tube later and boot or patch the inside of the tire I took off. which only had about 500 miles on it. I had some help from a road bike guy who insisted on sticking around and helping. He was a Pac Tour rider named Bruce. And he was helpful. Getting a front tire on, on a cool day, is quite difficult. We both took stabs at it. Finally did get it on. I pumped it using the on-board floor pump, got it up to 100, and put it back on the velo. After that I finished up the ride, which involved another 11 miles of mostly climbing, followed by about 3 miles of fast descent to the hotel. Repair held up well but I was stressing a little as I had no spare tube for that final 14 miles nor a patch kit. I'll be adding a patch kit to my tool bag after this. There was also the question of the rear tire. At the end of this ride, the rear tire had 6270 miles on it. I carry a spare rear and a couple tubes but haven't actually tried removing the rear tire and didn't want that experience to happen on the road. But I was certainly taking chances with that tire. Doug suggested that the max mileage on the rear should be about 5500 miles. In the first week the rest of the tread wear indicators disappeared and I'd been walking a tightrope with that tire, checking it every day, and sometimes half way through the day. Well, one more day - fingers crossed!  
 BIKE: DFXL166; start time: 07:36; end: 13:51; avg speed:15.9; max: 49.2; climb: 2562; miles:79.4; mtd miles:457.67; ytd miles:1950.11  
 CLOUDY; wind: SSW 15-30; start  temp: 64; end: 69  

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3443689668

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2019, 1:57pm

8-Mar-19      FRI -       day 6 Sierra Vista to Tucson ↑10%  
This, the last day of our 2nd Pac Tour week, was notable for cloudy cold conditions at the higher elevations, and fierce crosswind and headwind. Of course on the velo the headwind doesn't matter much. But the crosswind, when very strong, exerts a strong push to the side of the velo. On the other hand, I don't mind a cross wind - being relaxed is the key; no death grip on the tiller. So that turned out not to be a big issue. It just required alertness to passing traffic and the location of the rumble strip or the edge of the road. I was very glad to be on a velomobile and not a road bike today. The velo handles so well in adverse wind conditons. There was more serious climbing to come and that wasn't an issue. The issue came at the top of the last climb before the descent to I-10 and it came in the form of rumble strips extending the width of the lane and having a breadth of 4 or 5 ft. I crossed 4 or 5 of those before I realized what was happening. I had to hit the brakes and try to see what it was - at high speed I couldn't see them; at low speed I could see exactly what it was. gouges in the road designed to slow drivers. I was forced to roll at about 12 mph, downhill, riding the brake. There was no shoulder and I couldn't get into the oncoming lane - road was too curvy and there was too much traffic. The trouble was, I did that for far longer than the speed rumbles went. I just didn't know how far down those rumbles went. Eventually I let it go a bit more until I reached Old Sonoita Rd. I breathed a sigh of relief on Old Sonoita, but that was premature. That road was so rough and full of pot holes in places that I deemed it just as bad as what I had just been on. I had to be watchful all the way down to the Interstate crossing. Finally, relief. Got to the lunch stop, froze in the cold wind while eating, hurried it along, and hopped back into the velo to get warm and finish up. In conclusion, I was glad to be in Arizona this two weeks because we'd had comparatively good weather, while at home in Texas I'd have been stymied by very cold and wet conditions. Each week was a WIN, and with two weeks down, it was a WIN, WIN!
 BIKE: DFXL166; start time: 07:11; end: 13:10; avg speed:16.3; max: 41.2; climb: 2146; miles:81.8; mtd miles:539.47; ytd miles:2031.91  
 CLOUDY; wind: SSW 15-32; start  temp: 57; end: 62  

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3445764799

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print