Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 6:40am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Who all is doing HHH this year? (Read 8428 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Who all is doing HHH this year?
Jul 22nd, 2018, 7:37am

I have been thinking seriously about trying this ride. If I do, it will be either the 50 miler or 100k for me. Maybe if the weather is nice I'll do the century. So, who all will be doing HHH?

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Who all is doing HHH this year?
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2018, 9:13am

Well, For one thing the weather doesn't get nice up there. It's either hot and windy or really hot and windy. I've done the thing for 25 straight years and took the last two off.  I'm going back this year.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2018, 12:01pm

I'm planning on this being my 12th straight year of doing the 100 mile route. I'll be staying at the First Christian Church again.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2018, 2:27pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Jul 22nd, 2018, 7:37am:
So, who all will be doing HHH?
Grin  Smiley Grin    

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2018, 3:49pm

I'll see you guys up there, I just registered.

Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2018, 3:25pm

Family obligation will put me in Grafton, Illinois, so I'll be riding along the Mississippi that Saturday thinking of how I'm missing the heat, wind and boulder seal!

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Longranger

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2018, 7:48pm

I registered January 1st!💨💨💨🚴‍♀️

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2018, 9:38pm by Longranger »  

I don’t know what’s goin’ on and I like it that way.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2018, 7:15am

Quote from Rawhide on Jul 23rd, 2018, 3:25pm:
Family obligation will put me in Grafton, Illinois, so I'll be riding along the Mississippi that Saturday thinking of how I'm missing the heat, wind and boulder seal!

I have ridden along the MS River several times through Grafton. It should be nice there. Are you taking the Sam Vadalabene Great River Rd. Bike Trail?

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2018, 7:16am

Quote from Longranger on Jul 23rd, 2018, 7:48pm:
I registered January 1st!💨💨💨🚴‍♀️

See you there. My 1st time.

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2018, 1:40pm

I’m still on the fence, need to get a couple longer rides in if I’m really gonna do this. I’ve never ridden it and would be shooting for a sub 5 hour ride if I go.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2018, 4:54pm

Posted by: jrob_bent Posted on: Today at 7:15am  

Quote from Rawhide on Yesterday at 3:25pm:

I have ridden along the MS River several times through Grafton. It should be nice there. Are you taking the Sam Vadalabene Great River Rd. Bike Trail?  

I didn't know what it was called, but yes that is it.  Have ridden it before a couple of years ago.  If I have time I'd like to roll on past Alton a ways.

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2018, 6:10pm

If you get the chance, you have to ride across the old Chain of Rocks bridge. No motor vehicles allowed. You can turn south and ride the Riverfront Trail all the way to the Arch. Turn west and the Katy Trail is 240 miles long from the MS River to Clinton, MO. Have fun and be safe!

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2018, 10:47am

I'll be there ..  i plan to ride up from Dallas Thursday then back Sunday

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2018, 11:37am

Quote from Phantom Rider on Jul 24th, 2018, 1:40pm:
I’m still on the fence, need to get a couple longer rides in if I’m really gonna do this. I’ve never ridden it and would be shooting for a sub 5 hour ride if I go.

Come on and go Joe. I too was going to shoot for a sub 5 hours, but ?i have had a bad virus for about 9 days. My body is weak, but I might get back in good enough shape to still try.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Jul 29th, 2018, 11:38am

Quote from MrWizard on Jul 29th, 2018, 10:47am:

Which velo you riding Doug?

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2018, 1:17pm

I think since this will be my first HHH and I am just getting over this bug, I'll ride my corovelo and just have fun. I can eat, drink, and be merry without having to stop and get off the bike. It will help keep the sun off me too. My two wheel bikes might be faster but this little corovelo is way more fun!

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2018, 1:38pm

Looking back through my records......I've done the HHH most years since 2008. Three surgeries in there.....knee, back, and hip resurfacing. Did it for years as an upright until my hip didn't allow me to throw my leg over the bike anymore. That's when I discovered recumbents. With my new hip I could go back to my old ways. I was faster back then--catching on to big, fast pace lines. I find it hard to catch that same draft on a recumbent, and when I do find a good draft a hill comes up to destroy it.
All of that said, I will be riding my recumbent in this year's HHH. Hope to see you guys there!!! Smiley

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2018, 4:51pm

Glad you are coming Reever. I was going in with the attitude of going as fast as I could. Then I thought, just go meet people and have fun. That is why I decided to ride my corovelo. See everyone there.

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2018, 5:25pm

Last year I think I got psyched out when it was so tough early in the race. There was a wind out of the north--how freaky was that--and I just thought it was my legs. I halfway gave up on getting anywhere close to what I dreamed of time wise. This year I will guarantee the wind will again be steamy from the south to push us along in the early stages of the race and like a furnace from the south to actually cook us to a crisp well done as we make it back home. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:17pm

Not sure ..  I might run the Milan this year with the closed top ..  If I ride up before hand it will be the QV as its really the best for touring like that.

Quote from jrob_bent on Jul 29th, 2018, 11:38am:
Quote from MrWizard on Jul 29th, 2018, 10:47am:

Which velo you riding Doug?

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:18pm

Just wait, we will get caught by that F#!*! train again, just as we catch the back of the racers  

Quote from reever on Aug 1st, 2018, 5:25pm:
Last year I think I got psyched out when it was so tough early in the race. There was a wind out of the north--how freaky was that--and I just thought it was my legs. I halfway gave up on getting anywhere close to what I dreamed of time wise. This year I will guarantee the wind will again be steamy from the south to push us along in the early stages of the race and like a furnace from the south to actually cook us to a crisp well done as we make it back home. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Switz53

rbent member

Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2018, 6:10pm

I plan to be there. 50 miles more than likely but with the right conditions I may go the whole 100

Trike most probably

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2018, 6:16pm

Quote from MrWizard on Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:18pm:
Just wait, we will get caught by that F#!*! train again, just as we catch the back of the racers

Quote from reever on Aug 1st, 2018, 5:25pm:

Never done it before.  What is a good strategy for the start to either latch onto the racers or catch a good paceline coming by.  What speed do I need to manage and for how long to make this happen?

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #23 - Aug 4th, 2018, 7:29pm

Phantom,
Since we start with the tandems I think it's a good strategy to get in behind one of them (or behind the group of other riders drafting off of them) and hang on as long as you can. If you're lucky when the leading tandem breaks contact with the followers you'll have a really solid average speed that will diminish over time. The great thing about the HHH is that there are soooo many riders in the race that several other pace lines will come through for you to try to hang onto. Just monitor that rear view mirror to see them coming up so you can match their speed as they approach. In the last 20-30 miles of the race you will probably be constantly catching those poor upright souls that have been dropped by their groups. It always makes me glad to be riding a recumbent in those hot miles into the wind when I see those guys standing up on their pedals because their butts feel like a railroad spike is being driven up into them!
Oh, and by the way, somebody reach out and kick me in the head if I move up and take a turn leading one of those pace lines. I've done it three times in three years, and have gotten dropped by the group each time I've tried it. Back when I rode uprights the guys who never took a turn leading in a big group were called "clockers". I thought clockers were less than human. But, now I've seen that leading a group as a recumbent doesn't really help the group all that much, and it's just really tough to accelerate back up to the back of the group as they come by after taking your turn at the front. Just be a clocker--that is unless we can get a group of recumbents to form our own pace line!!!

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2018, 2:33pm

I am riding my corovelo with my 12 volt fan at the HHH. It is not nearly as fast as my other bikes, but is way more fun. I can turn on the fan for cooling, carry 2-3 gallons of real ice water, eat my food while pedaling, and just have more fun riding it. I am thinking about bringing my boom box for tunes too! If I get too tired, hot, or just lazy, I'll pull under something and take a nap. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2018, 6:33pm

Good luck finding anything to pull under out there. And don't ride on the side (edge) of the road unless you like giving flat repair demos. Although we start earlier then the main groups it is shocking to find riders on the road well ahead and you're passing. And that's where you need to be careful. Many accidents caused by wheel crossing each other while passing. You start to see the accidents around the 5 mile mark and then around mile 15, the rolling hills. Large groups have been cause up in those accidents and at high speeds. After the 2nd rest stop (don't brother with the 1st) the road is fairly flat with mild rollers. You'll see large groups pass at high speed (25-30). After the railroad tracks you'll make a left turn to Electra. It really thins out the heard from there. Each rest stop has their own flavor, you pays the money, use them, enjoy them. Don't worry about carrying too much with you. There's a ton of stuff out there.      

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #26 - Aug 6th, 2018, 12:38pm

Thanks for the preview of the ride. I am taking my umbrella from my patio table with me, instant shade! That with my fan and ice water will help keep me cool. I might make a Flevo type roof instead of the umbrella or take both. Maybe next year I'll do the ride in my streamliner. Give the pace line guys something to try and catch!

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #27 - Aug 6th, 2018, 2:00pm

Quote from johnnybent on Aug 5th, 2018, 6:33pm:
Although we start earlier then the main groups it is shocking to find riders on the road well ahead and you're passing.  

That's always been my biggest gripe. I start up front, yet 30 miles down the road, I'm still passing slow riders. That tells you how early and how far down the road some of them start. So they end up with several thousand faster riders trying to pass them. I just don't understand the entertainment value of that.

I've learned to pace myself better in the early miles. As an old fart missing half a lung, I can't keep up with the fastest riders, so I've learned to just drop off the fastest groups quickly, and pedal a comfortable pace until a group that's moving at a better speed for me comes along. I end up finishing just as fast as I did when I blew myself up early trying to keep a faster pace, and feel better after the ride.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2018, 2:00pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2018, 3:23pm

I was out riding about a week ago and two guys on road bikes stopped me to talk about my ride. I told them I was doing my 1st ever HHH. They both looked at each other and laughed. I asked what was so funny. They drive about 25-30 miles ahead and start riding. I said I thought that was cheating and they just kept on laughing. If you have to cheat, why bother? One said that they paid their money. Then start with everyone else and just ride the 70 mile ride. Nope, we get to finish in the middle of the pack this way and brag about it. I don't understand it myself. I would rather finish last than cheat.

Email   IP Logged
GBRAD

rbent member

Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2018, 3:50pm

Hey all you HHH participants!!  We will again be hosting our annual recumbent rider spaghetti dinner on Friday night, 5:30-8:00 PM, prior to the big ride.  All you need to bring is a smile and an appetite.  We will furnish iced tea and water, but feel free to bring any other beverages you want (including adult beverages, if desired).  
Address:  300 E Washington Ave, Iowa Park TX -- come around to the back, as that is where we all will be!!

Hope to see you there!!  Please let us know if you plan to come so we will have a head count for food prep!

Thanks Gary & Gay Bradford
817 988-8395

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #30 - Aug 7th, 2018, 5:00pm

Its all about $ per mile .. if you don't ride all the miles you don't get your monies worth  Grin

Quote from jrob_bent on Aug 6th, 2018, 3:23pm:
I was out riding about a week ago and two guys on road bikes stopped me to talk about my ride. I told them I was doing my 1st ever HHH. They both looked at each other and laughed. I asked what was so funny. They drive about 25-30 miles ahead and start riding. I said I thought that was cheating and they just kept on laughing. If you have to cheat, why bother? One said that they paid their money. Then start with everyone else and just ride the 70 mile ride. Nope, we get to finish in the middle of the pack this way and brag about it. I don't understand it myself. I would rather finish last than cheat.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Aug 9th, 2018, 8:43pm

Pretty much what I was thinking. Plus, the only person you are cheating is yourself.  

Quote from MrWizard on Aug 7th, 2018, 5:00pm:
Its all about $ per mile .. if you don't ride all the miles you don't get your monies worth  Grin

Quote from jrob_bent on Aug 6th, 2018, 3:23pm:

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #32 - Aug 10th, 2018, 4:57pm

Quote from GBRAD on Aug 7th, 2018, 3:50pm:
Hey all you HHH participants!!  We will again be hosting our annual recumbent rider spaghetti dinner on Friday night, 5:30-8:00 PM, prior to the big ride.  All you need to bring is a smile and an appetite.  We will furnish iced tea and water, but feel free to bring any other beverages you want (including adult beverages, if desired).  
Address:  300 E Washington Ave, Iowa Park TX -- come around to the back, as that is where we all will be!!

Hope to see you there!!  Please let us know if you plan to come so we will have a head count for food prep!

Thanks Gary & Gay Bradford
817 988-8395

Thanks, Gary! I plan on stopping by.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #33 - Aug 11th, 2018, 7:35pm

I'm still toying with the idea of doing it on the SprintX - I haven't, yet.  My last time up on the Ghost Xstream (2015?) I hung with a fast group and had a ~24mph average at Hell's Gate -- then leg cramps hit with a vengeance, and I limped the rest of the way in.  Haven't really been doing much over 35 miles all summer, so maybe I'll take the cutoff instead of the 100...

If I go up, I'll try to stay at 1st Xtian church....  and try to make it to the Bradford's!

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Aug 11th, 2018, 9:28pm

Anyone receive the wavier email yet?

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #35 - Aug 17th, 2018, 11:17am

Quote from jrob_bent on Aug 11th, 2018, 9:28pm:

I've already gotten mine, printed it out, and put it the van glove compartment (past years experience tells me that's the only way I'll remember to bring it).

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #36 - Aug 17th, 2018, 11:19am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 11th, 2018, 7:35pm:
If I go up, I'll try to stay at 1st Xtian church....  and try to make it to the Bradford's!

Paul

Come on down! We can carpool over to the dinner.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Aug 17th, 2018, 11:32am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 17th, 2018, 11:17am:

I've already gotten mine, printed it out, and put it the van glove compartment (past years experience tells me that's the only way I'll remember to bring it).

I know the feeling Bud. I have mine in my little bag I carry all my important stuff in. I'll leave the bag on the van seat because if I put it anywhere else, I would not remember where I put it!

See everyone in 8 days.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #38 - Aug 21st, 2018, 1:41pm

I'm out --  Dad just passed away and the services are the HH100 weekend.  

Have fun ..    

Quote from jrob_bent on Aug 17th, 2018, 11:32am:
Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 17th, 2018, 11:17am:

I know the feeling Bud. I have mine in my little bag I carry all my important stuff in. I'll leave the bag on the van seat because if I put it anywhere else, I would not remember where I put it!

See everyone in 8 days.

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Aug 21st, 2018, 4:22pm

[quote author=MrWizard link=1532263031/30#38 date=1534876865]I'm out --  Dad just passed away and the services are the HH100 weekend.  

Have fun ..    

Doug so sorry to hear about your dad.  I've been thru the same thing recently--my condolences.

IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #40 - Aug 21st, 2018, 4:24pm

As of today, it appears that Patti, Steve and I will be doing the HHH and will have dinner at the Bradfords.  See you there.

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Aug 22nd, 2018, 7:40am

Sorry to hear about your loss Doug.

I guess I am out too. I have a bad sinus/lung infection again. Doctor told me to stay out of the swimming pool as chlorine is bad for asthma.

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #42 - Aug 22nd, 2018, 6:24pm

I guess I've done all the training I can do for the HHH. I'll be running on reserves on Saturday. It's always a big crapshoot how well I'll do anyway. Sometimes I really think I'm ready and then feel like hammered excrement on the day of the race. A hundred miler is something like a running marathon in that a super fit marathoner can be crippled by a blister on his little toe. Good luck to everybody who shows up and at least tries. May the wind always be at your back and may you always find groups to draft off of going really fast!!!

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #43 - Aug 22nd, 2018, 9:56pm

I'm in -- I'll be coming up Friday midday.  Will decide between 100 and 75 at the Gate...  Bud, I'll meet you at FCC!

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #44 - Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:42am

I've got a paid for room at the Marriot Courtyard if anyone wants it ..    I've posted it to facebook trying to recover some of the cost but I'd nearly give it away to an rbenter for the price of picking up my packet and jersey I ordered at the start line and handing it back to me at one of the rbent rides..  2 nights  1 king + sofabed  

text me at 972-900-2902 as I'm not online much right now dealing with the family issues

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #45 - Aug 23rd, 2018, 12:35pm

OK, I will show up Saturday morning. I might just pick up my packet and ride 15-20 miles. Today was the first time in over a week that I rode and my legs were shaking from being sick. If there is a tail wind, I might go 50 miles. I guess I'll see when I get there.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #46 - Aug 23rd, 2018, 2:37pm

102 degrees with a pretty stiff south wind Saturday. It should be fun.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #47 - Aug 23rd, 2018, 3:41pm

I have not ridden much either but ya don't have to bust yer butt out there. Easy 15 avg. and use the rest stops. I plan on the 65 for the base.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #48 - Aug 24th, 2018, 3:03pm

I have the corovelo in the back of my Grand Caravan, my water jugs on the counter top, my waiver in my bag, all my snacks and food gathered, tools and extra tubes, the battery for the fan charging, and two sets of clothes. I'll be heading to Wichita Falls around 3:30 in the morning. Almost forgot my umbrella! See everyone in the morning.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #49 - Aug 25th, 2018, 12:37pm

Nice to finally meet up with Bud. Also met Gary, Bill, and Paul and Reever were there. I met so many people I can't remember all the names.
I was trying to do the 50 mile route, but took the 25 turn off. Got to the interstate and sign was missing. Went a little over 2 miles turn around and ran into an upright rider. He thought the route was straight ahead. I rode about a 1/2 mile with him and turned around. Just as I was coming up to the right turn, they were putting the sign back up. I ended up with 30 miles. I was very weak and shaky!  

I was interviewed by the local TV station, radio station, and newspaper. They all called my corovelo the Road Runner bike! Ha ha. After crossing the finish line a reporter for a Dallas/Ft Worth TV station took a picture and asked for my name.  

It was a fun first HHH, except for not feeling 100%. I'll be back next year. It was fun and a well run event. I was talking so much and answering questions I forgot to take any pictures and turn my GoPro on! Maybe Paul got some decent pictures. I'll make it up the night before next year. Getting up at 2 am and getting ready isn't fun at all.  

See everyone there next year!

Now I know why my mouth was hurting and my stomach was upset yesterday. I have a big ole abscessed tooth! Finally had to take a pain pill. Reason, popcorn!

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2018, 7:47am by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print