Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 12:27am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Who all is doing HHH this year? (Read 8424 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Who all is doing HHH this year?
Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2018, 1:17pm

I think since this will be my first HHH and I am just getting over this bug, I'll ride my corovelo and just have fun. I can eat, drink, and be merry without having to stop and get off the bike. It will help keep the sun off me too. My two wheel bikes might be faster but this little corovelo is way more fun!

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2018, 1:38pm

Looking back through my records......I've done the HHH most years since 2008. Three surgeries in there.....knee, back, and hip resurfacing. Did it for years as an upright until my hip didn't allow me to throw my leg over the bike anymore. That's when I discovered recumbents. With my new hip I could go back to my old ways. I was faster back then--catching on to big, fast pace lines. I find it hard to catch that same draft on a recumbent, and when I do find a good draft a hill comes up to destroy it.
All of that said, I will be riding my recumbent in this year's HHH. Hope to see you guys there!!! Smiley

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2018, 4:51pm

Glad you are coming Reever. I was going in with the attitude of going as fast as I could. Then I thought, just go meet people and have fun. That is why I decided to ride my corovelo. See everyone there.

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2018, 5:25pm

Last year I think I got psyched out when it was so tough early in the race. There was a wind out of the north--how freaky was that--and I just thought it was my legs. I halfway gave up on getting anywhere close to what I dreamed of time wise. This year I will guarantee the wind will again be steamy from the south to push us along in the early stages of the race and like a furnace from the south to actually cook us to a crisp well done as we make it back home. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:17pm

Not sure ..  I might run the Milan this year with the closed top ..  If I ride up before hand it will be the QV as its really the best for touring like that.

Quote from jrob_bent on Jul 29th, 2018, 11:38am:
Quote from MrWizard on Jul 29th, 2018, 10:47am:
I'll be there ..  i plan to ride up from Dallas Thursday then back Sunday  

Which velo you riding Doug?

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:18pm

Just wait, we will get caught by that F#!*! train again, just as we catch the back of the racers  

Quote from reever on Aug 1st, 2018, 5:25pm:
Last year I think I got psyched out when it was so tough early in the race. There was a wind out of the north--how freaky was that--and I just thought it was my legs. I halfway gave up on getting anywhere close to what I dreamed of time wise. This year I will guarantee the wind will again be steamy from the south to push us along in the early stages of the race and like a furnace from the south to actually cook us to a crisp well done as we make it back home. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Switz53

rbent member

Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2018, 6:10pm

I plan to be there. 50 miles more than likely but with the right conditions I may go the whole 100

Trike most probably

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2018, 6:16pm

Quote from MrWizard on Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:18pm:
Just wait, we will get caught by that F#!*! train again, just as we catch the back of the racers

Quote from reever on Aug 1st, 2018, 5:25pm:

Never done it before.  What is a good strategy for the start to either latch onto the racers or catch a good paceline coming by.  What speed do I need to manage and for how long to make this happen?

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #23 - Aug 4th, 2018, 7:29pm

Phantom,
Since we start with the tandems I think it's a good strategy to get in behind one of them (or behind the group of other riders drafting off of them) and hang on as long as you can. If you're lucky when the leading tandem breaks contact with the followers you'll have a really solid average speed that will diminish over time. The great thing about the HHH is that there are soooo many riders in the race that several other pace lines will come through for you to try to hang onto. Just monitor that rear view mirror to see them coming up so you can match their speed as they approach. In the last 20-30 miles of the race you will probably be constantly catching those poor upright souls that have been dropped by their groups. It always makes me glad to be riding a recumbent in those hot miles into the wind when I see those guys standing up on their pedals because their butts feel like a railroad spike is being driven up into them!
Oh, and by the way, somebody reach out and kick me in the head if I move up and take a turn leading one of those pace lines. I've done it three times in three years, and have gotten dropped by the group each time I've tried it. Back when I rode uprights the guys who never took a turn leading in a big group were called "clockers". I thought clockers were less than human. But, now I've seen that leading a group as a recumbent doesn't really help the group all that much, and it's just really tough to accelerate back up to the back of the group as they come by after taking your turn at the front. Just be a clocker--that is unless we can get a group of recumbents to form our own pace line!!!

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2018, 2:33pm

I am riding my corovelo with my 12 volt fan at the HHH. It is not nearly as fast as my other bikes, but is way more fun. I can turn on the fan for cooling, carry 2-3 gallons of real ice water, eat my food while pedaling, and just have more fun riding it. I am thinking about bringing my boom box for tunes too! If I get too tired, hot, or just lazy, I'll pull under something and take a nap. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2018, 6:33pm

Good luck finding anything to pull under out there. And don't ride on the side (edge) of the road unless you like giving flat repair demos. Although we start earlier then the main groups it is shocking to find riders on the road well ahead and you're passing. And that's where you need to be careful. Many accidents caused by wheel crossing each other while passing. You start to see the accidents around the 5 mile mark and then around mile 15, the rolling hills. Large groups have been cause up in those accidents and at high speeds. After the 2nd rest stop (don't brother with the 1st) the road is fairly flat with mild rollers. You'll see large groups pass at high speed (25-30). After the railroad tracks you'll make a left turn to Electra. It really thins out the heard from there. Each rest stop has their own flavor, you pays the money, use them, enjoy them. Don't worry about carrying too much with you. There's a ton of stuff out there.      

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #26 - Aug 6th, 2018, 12:38pm

Thanks for the preview of the ride. I am taking my umbrella from my patio table with me, instant shade! That with my fan and ice water will help keep me cool. I might make a Flevo type roof instead of the umbrella or take both. Maybe next year I'll do the ride in my streamliner. Give the pace line guys something to try and catch!

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #27 - Aug 6th, 2018, 2:00pm

Quote from johnnybent on Aug 5th, 2018, 6:33pm:
Although we start earlier then the main groups it is shocking to find riders on the road well ahead and you're passing.  

That's always been my biggest gripe. I start up front, yet 30 miles down the road, I'm still passing slow riders. That tells you how early and how far down the road some of them start. So they end up with several thousand faster riders trying to pass them. I just don't understand the entertainment value of that.

I've learned to pace myself better in the early miles. As an old fart missing half a lung, I can't keep up with the fastest riders, so I've learned to just drop off the fastest groups quickly, and pedal a comfortable pace until a group that's moving at a better speed for me comes along. I end up finishing just as fast as I did when I blew myself up early trying to keep a faster pace, and feel better after the ride.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2018, 2:00pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2018, 3:23pm

I was out riding about a week ago and two guys on road bikes stopped me to talk about my ride. I told them I was doing my 1st ever HHH. They both looked at each other and laughed. I asked what was so funny. They drive about 25-30 miles ahead and start riding. I said I thought that was cheating and they just kept on laughing. If you have to cheat, why bother? One said that they paid their money. Then start with everyone else and just ride the 70 mile ride. Nope, we get to finish in the middle of the pack this way and brag about it. I don't understand it myself. I would rather finish last than cheat.

Email   IP Logged
GBRAD

rbent member

Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2018, 3:50pm

Hey all you HHH participants!!  We will again be hosting our annual recumbent rider spaghetti dinner on Friday night, 5:30-8:00 PM, prior to the big ride.  All you need to bring is a smile and an appetite.  We will furnish iced tea and water, but feel free to bring any other beverages you want (including adult beverages, if desired).  
Address:  300 E Washington Ave, Iowa Park TX -- come around to the back, as that is where we all will be!!

Hope to see you there!!  Please let us know if you plan to come so we will have a head count for food prep!

Thanks Gary & Gay Bradford
817 988-8395

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print