Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 4:04pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speed up (me or my trike) (Read 2205 times)
Dennis

rbent member

Speed up (me or my trike)
Mar 10th, 2016, 4:49pm

I switched from a Vision R-54 to a Catrike Road before last spring, and felt like I lost speed.    I spent most of last season feeling like I had dropped from about 13mph on the Vision to 11.5mph on the Catrike.   They are both recumbent.   The Vision is probably heavier.   The Vision is full suspension where catrike is soft-tail.   I figured by the end of the season I would make it back, but didn't.

So this year I was scrutinizing for what things I might change.    I noticed the drive side of the chain path has two idlers in it and each of the idlers has a retainer bar to prevent the chain from coming off.   Both of those were dragging the when I inspected at the beginning of this year.    One was deflecting the chain and appeared bent from the drag on it.    I moved both of those so they didn't contact the chain but didn't feel like any major improvement.   Unclear how long it had been in that state anyway.

I had been riding comfortably at about 100 rpm but with my butt perhaps 1/2 inch forward of the "V" of the seat.   I tried adjusting the boom length in by about that 1/2 inch last week.   My overall speed didn't increase,  and my typical cadence dropped to 90.   I felt like I had a bit more torque on some of the hills, and legs were perhaps more sore than normal.   Guess time will tell if confirmation bias is the only thing making me think I made an improvement or if I actually made a change that will help after I adapt to it a bit longer.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Speed up (me or my trike)
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2016, 7:22pm

Any trike is going to have more "rolling resistance" simply by having 3 wheels instead of 2...  Chainline friction also comes into play, and you may also have a difference in tires that contributes.

Don't worry about the loss of speed -- if you enjoy the ride of the trike, just keep riding (and working on your fitness) -- higher speeds will come.  My "normal" cruising speed on the XStream is 20ish, but on our Tour II trike, it's about 16...  nature of the beast.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2016, 8:16pm

On my 700 there were a couple of pretty major speed increases ..  Changing the bearings out in the front wheels with some hybrid ceramics ..  (I noticed that catrike is now selling the same ones I sent them samples of on their web page)    That probably helped the most ..  I also replaced the idlers entirely with TerraCycle elites ..   That probably helped a tiny bit physically and a lot mentally as they "sounded" proper .  The fairing I added didn't do much for the speed - except downhill, but it did keep a lot of crap off me from the road.      

Tires also play a big part of things here ..  Look at Maxxis Overdrives or Continental contact ones; both of those seem to have the lowest rolling resistance ..  

Vision R54s were coming in between 29 (no suspension) and 35 (suspension) pounds, a road weighs 37-38 pounds .  This is before you junk them up like me with spares, parts, tools, tig welders, etc .

The biggest problem you'll have is 20" wheels and chipseal ..  nothing suck your energy away faster ..    You have only one of those on your R54  

Email   IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2016, 3:51am

Thanks.  

Yep I bet it would go much faster if I could just replace the current 210 pound rider with the 170 pound one from twenty years back.  Probably mostly keep working on that side of the equation. Smiley    

IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2016, 12:37pm

Its a energy to weight problem ..   You need to work on a plan for that --  I have to admit this is a bit of a touchy point with myself as I fought this battle with a cycling coach  for a few years ..  I was 220 and 9% BMI ..  There's no way that was healthy ..  but he kept saying "you need to loose weight!!"   It caused  all sorts of health issues .   At 9% BMI noone needs to loose weight -  I finally got wise and changed coaches ..  

I'm 250 pounds  @18% BMI   and I can run a ~60 pound velomobile  up a hill faster than most of the kids can ride their stick bikes in the same place ..    We have to make our bodies generate the energy we need to accomplish these things and that takes a pretty consistent and serious commitment to exercise improvement.    Also a lot of frustration and aches and pain  which I am sure we all share with this.    

Getting old does suck though .. I would recommend avoiding it.

Quote from Dennis on Mar 11th, 2016, 3:51am:
Thanks.

Yep I bet it would go much faster if I could just replace the current 210 pound rider with the 170 pound one from twenty years back.  Probably mostly keep working on that side of the equation. Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2016, 8:39pm

[quote author=MrWizard link=1457650162/0#4 date=1457721441] 

Getting old does suck though .. I would recommend avoiding it.

/quote]

You have an acceptable alternative?

The trike is dead weight, and a pound lost there is a pound lost.  Your weight is live weight, and to some extent can contribute to your effort.  So any personal weight loss effort needs to be careful to work toward optimal weight, as Doug suggested, rather than to minimize it.  At any rate, it may take a loss of five pounds of body fat to have the same effect as one pound of trike weight.  Even then, it's wasted if you don't encounter any hills!   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2016, 9:24pm

I like where you went with adjusting the boom, but I would have gone the other way. You can generate more force near full extension, as you may have noticed trying to lift a really heavy set of weights off of your chest. Gee, it seemed so light when your arms were almost straight!!! I have found that when I extend, my cadence drops initially. It's easier to spin at a higher cadence when the legs are bent a bit more. Keep working on your cadence at the new length. It will become natural and you will have the best of both worlds--greater force and greater RPMs.

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2016, 9:31pm by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2016, 6:23pm

Just a few rides on the shorter boom.    Feel like I'm going to stick with that configuration for a while and see how it goes.

If nothing else shortening the boom moved my behind back in the seat and I think the weight distribution is better.   The front wheels actually seem like they go over bumps that felt jarring previously.  My cruising cadence is pretty much already back close to where it was before the boom adjustment, just took a couple rides to get used to the tweak.

Sorry if I made it sound like I was working purely on weight, lol.   I just meant shift from trying to improve vehicle back to trying to improve the rider. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print