Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 1:43pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wheel Size Code for Computer (Read 3327 times)
Mdicke

rbent member

Wheel Size Code for Computer
Mar 15th, 2016, 9:36pm

I installed a new Sigma computer last night on the trike and found the code for my 35-406 is supposed to be 1460.  On my ride this evening Strava gave me 27.1 and MMR gave me 27.5 and the computer gave me 26.3.  I am use to the numbers being different but rarely are they a off by a mile.  Any thought on what the correct number should be.   The tire I am using is a Marathon+.

Thanks

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Wheel Size Code for Computer
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2016, 11:46pm

Quote from Mdicke on Mar 15th, 2016, 9:36pm:
I installed a new Sigma computer last night on the trike and found the code for my 35-406 is supposed to be 1460.  On my ride this evening Strava gave me 27.1 and MMR gave me 27.5 and the computer gave me 26.3.  I am use to the numbers being different but rarely are they a off by a mile.  Any thought on what the correct number should be.   The tire I am using is a Marathon+.

Thanks

Pump the tires up to riding pressure, then do a roll-out on a flat surface, while sitting on the trike. Put a mark on a piece of tape and apply it to the wheel to be measured. Get an assistant to put a mark on the surface coinciding with the mark on the tape. Move the trike in a straight line, until the wheel makes a complete rotation. Mark the surface to coincide with the mark on the tape. Measure the distance between marks in millimeters, and that will be the value you enter into the computer. This is the most accurate method  for setting the computer.  

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2016, 10:23am

ditto what jay said ..  don't trust the manufacturing numbers, i've found 5mm difference between the stated and actual (measured) numbers.

Also don't trust the garmin "auto calibration" function on the EDGE devices unless you have a couple of mile of absolutely straight and flat road to use it on .. better to just measure

Quote from jayg on Mar 15th, 2016, 11:46pm:
Quote from Mdicke on Mar 15th, 2016, 9:36pm:

Thanks

Pump the tires up to riding pressure, then do a roll-out on a flat surface, while sitting on the trike. Put a mark on a piece of tape and apply it to the wheel to be measured. Get an assistant to put a mark on the surface coinciding with the mark on the tape. Move the trike in a straight line, until the wheel makes a complete rotation. Mark the surface to coincide with the mark on the tape. Measure the distance between marks in millimeters, and that will be the value you enter into the computer. This is the most accurate method  for setting the computer.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2016, 2:59pm

Forget the tape -- find a crack, and put your valve stem right at it. Roll out straight for 4 or 5 rotations till the valve stem is at the bottom again, and mark/measure that distance using a 25' tape.  

If you measure with a standard tape in inches, multiply your inches by 25.4 to get mm... Then divide the distance by the number of rotations.  There's your number.

Four rotations would be about 20 feet, or 240 inches

240" x 25.4 = 6096 mm
6096 / 4 rotations = 1524

As an interesting variation, do this with tires fully pressurized, then repeat with pressure ~25 pounds lower.  The difference between the two, divided by the first one, times 100, is the percent change in speed/distance readings due to tire pressure.  A lower tire pressure will give you a "false" higher speed/distance, since the tire is moving you less far per rotation.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2016, 3:59pm

I've done this indoors, on a bare floor, in a 16' square room, but only with one revolution.  If you are careful, you can do it alone.  Use masking tape, and put a piece on the floor at the start with a line on it.  Align the tird mark and get on the trike and roll until the tire makes on revolution.  Allow two or three trials until you can go straight without bumping into the furniture or a wall.  Put tape down at the end point and mark it.  You can get off the trike to do that.  The trike shouldn't slide.  Check your marks by rolling backward on it to the first mark.  It should be within a millimeter of your tire mark.  When I was satisfied, I checked my 700 rear measurement (I calibrated both my rear tire computer and my front tire computer) rolling the trike unweighted.  The difference in diameter was 18 mm more.  Paul's method may be a bit more accurate, but you can't use fractions of a millimeter anyway.

Just a millimeter difference in tread thickness between tires will make 6 mm difference in circumference, so even tire wear will make a noticeable difference on a long ride.  For my three laps on the trike at the lake today, my two computers differed by two tenths of a mile.  My Garmin split the difference.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2016, 9:36pm

Thanks guys.  This measurement method thing is kind of like opinions, everybody has one.   Grin  I came across a nice book from Shwable  (sp) , anyway they gave 1510 for my specific tire.  Tried that yesterday and it was much closer to the riding apps.

With all the help information I will be doing a couple of different measuring activities this weekend if I have the time to dial this in.

Again thanks for all the help.

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2016, 9:49am

Its not the size of your measurement, its how you use it.  

Quote from Mdicke on Mar 17th, 2016, 9:37pm:
Thanks guys.  This measurement method thing is kind of like opinions, everybody has one.   Grin  I came across a nice book from Shwable  (sp) , anyway they gave 1510 for my specific tire.  Tried that yesterday and it was much closer to the riding apps.

With all the help information I will be doing a couple of different measuring activities this weekend if I have the time to dial this in.

Again thanks for all the help.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2016, 7:20pm

I just turn the bike upside down and tape my metric tape measure to the wheel and wind it around until it meets. Of course, I am a bit on the lazy side. Smiley

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2016, 8:55pm

See paragraph titled "Roll-out test for high accuracy" here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html.

Also, see the two paragraphs following the above referenced paragraph.

Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2016, 5:07pm

Ended up playing with the computer calibration, but will have to wait until tomorrow to see the lower effect.  I used the 5 rotation roll out and ended up with 1492.  On the same roll out I stop at the one rotation point and marked as well.  that ended up with a 1489.  Either is close enough for me.  It will be interesting to how they compare to MMR and Strava.  I have an old ETREX Garmin I may throw in the bag just for fun and really confuse the picture.

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print