Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 2:40am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pedal to the medal race (Read 1379 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

pedal to the medal race
May 16th, 2015, 5:05pm

So here's the deal.  I have a tough 12 hour in two weeks, but a last minute invite to a 15 mile time trial with no separate division for bents was one I couldn't pass up.  My plan was not to race it hard, but stay under threshold unless I got passed.  That way I wouldn't take anything away from my real race.  2 minutes to race my rear tire flatted.  Since this is Texas motor speedway, the highest banked NASCAR track, I likely picked up a small wire our something.
So I went with the second group, a slower pace, but they'd pit my time against the fast group.  Unfortunately, I had to wait another hour and warm up again.  That's when it started misting.  Then allergies went into overdrive and I couldn't breathe through my nose.
  I was off the line fast and smooth.  There was some good wind and silly as it sounds, there is climbing going into a couple of turns.  As I completed my second lap, wet paint caused me to go down at 25-28.  Had to do a hasty straighten job on the bars, collect myself and go.  Ass flapping out there for everyone to see.  I figured dripping blood or the stinging would cause met to bow out, but I was ok.  I couldn't output the same power afterwards, but it is what it is.  I stayed below threshold and still won by over a minute and a half, in spite of a minute and a half or more due to crash.  Final on bike average was 24.

All the racers were cool.  They even had the special Olympians race a lap and we visited with them.  Lunch was catered by Fred's.  Race organizer was very accommodating and hopes more of us come out next year.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Re: pedal to the medal race
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2015, 8:27am

Ouch! going down at that speed must have taken a big chunk out of that ass that was hanging out!!! You are one tough hombre, Greg... I hope you can still do the 12 hour race like you want to do it.....no complications from the road rash. My sombrero is off to you!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2015, 12:50pm

I was really stiffening up last night.  Back, shoulders, and leg.  That's why I went out for that second bike ride.  I'm in zero pain so long as I don't put much pressure on it.  Back and shoulders/neck are stiff and a little sore.  I'll be fine!  The wound is weeping a lot, which is the real annoyance.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2015, 3:56pm

Rub some ass-percreme on it, I mean aspercreme. Grin The back of the thigh looked bad through your riding shorts. Big as a grapefruit. The elbow looked  a little touchy also. I hope I have lifted the curse by not showing up Saturday morning by riding with you later! Smiley

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2015, 3:57pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print