Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 12:12am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pacing a Buzzard (Read 748 times)
Dennis

rbent member

Pacing a Buzzard
Oct 10th, 2014, 2:16pm

I wouldn't have thought I would ever be saying I was awe inspired by a buzzard,   but I'm here to confess.   It is one of the nice things about riding a bike where you can easily look out and around as you ride.   Most of you probably would have zipped right by this buzzard, but my 12mph pace left me flying side by side for a good 200ft.    

I was on a lane and a half road (where cars from opposite directions have to pull off the road a bit pass each other.)   A dense treeline was just a couple feet off the opposite side of the road, separating a narrow ditch from the cut field beyond.   The buzzard took off from the ditch as I approached and headed in the same direction as me along the tree line.   As it gained altitude, to about 8 ft over the road and 5-6ft to my left,  I overtook it.   At greater distances I had perhaps not appreciated how large these birds are;  it was flying as close to the treeline as it could but its near wing still reached out over the center of the road.   For a moment I considered that I could just scoot over a couple feet to my left and I would probably be able to reach up and touch that massive wing on a down beat.    Then again, I was also close enough to see that beady eye, and curved pointed beak.  I decided it was best to just maintain my line along the road edge.    

As the buzzard leveled off it gained a lead on me.   The buzzard slowed to try to perch on a branch overhanging the road and I passed it.   It decided not to perch and dropped down passing me.   We alternated leads again as another perch was attempted and bypassed.   We'd been side by side with less than 10 ft between us for a couple hundred feet before the treeline ended.   Without the treeline confining us to this abnormal proximity,   the buzzard veered off over the field,  and we parted ways.

(Nothing like the inspiration from Bud_Bent.)

IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: Pacing a Buzzard
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2014, 3:09pm

Just be thankful that the buzzard didn't decide that it needed to lighten its load in order to gain speed, had that happen to a friend when he decided to lay on his horn, the buzzard was over his hood at the time.   Smiley

My morning running partner twice this week was a skunk, he has his side of the road, I have mine.  He'll run away from me as long as I have him in my headlamp.  Once I get in front of him and look back at him, he'll turn and go in the other direction.  He hasn't shown any interest in spraying yet, and he's kinda cute (in a skunky sort of way).

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2014, 4:50pm

Only skunks I've crossed paths with while riding have already met their maker.   I still tend to give them as much of the roadway as I can.    

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2014, 8:07pm

Robin P. and I encountered a live one who objected.  Her Colnago probably still has the yellow stain on it.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2014, 3:28pm

I drop grazing cattle all the time.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1