Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 1:55am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TerraTrike - Roll over Rover!!! (Read 3388 times)
gfreeman

rbent member

TerraTrike - Roll over Rover!!!
Oct 2nd, 2014, 9:28am

We've had our TerraTrike Rovers for about 6 weeks now and are still loving them.  But we have each rolled over a couple of times.  The Rover has the highest seat of any production trike I am aware of.  That makes it easier for old and/or overweight people to get on and off, and, for that I am grateful.  The result of having three wheels and a high center of gravity is that initial stability is great and final stability is non-existent.  Especially if you ride on uneven terrain, the Rover will go over quickly.  My first tumble was actually in my driveway. It has a bit of a compound grade at the entrance.  That spill broke my mirror and totally surprised me.  My last one was yesterday at the north end of the Katy Trail.  My own fault.  I tried to circle around faster than I should have.  So, how about it, you trike-engineers? Is there any sort of mod (to the trike, not my behavior) that will reduce the Rover's tipability?  I've looked the frame over pretty carefully and nothing jumps out at me.  I figured if anyone would know, it's this crowd.  BTW, I've been reading about 24 and 26 inch rear wheel upgrades to the Rover.   Seems like this would raise the seat even a fraction higher and make the problem worse. Anyone know?  Before anyone tells me that the fix is to trade the Rover in on a more high-performance trike, we are not ready for that solution yet.  We have some weight loss and conditioning commitments that we will meet before that is a consideration.  Thanks for any tips (no pun intended.)

Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: TerraTrike - Roll over Rover!!!
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2014, 9:45am

I don't know the trike specifics, but I'll throw out two tricks I've used in the past to help change the CG of my ride.

1.  Add weight to the beam, when I rode Tour das Hugel I added my Moab battery to the nose of my 'bent, to keep from lifting the front end.  I'm not sure if you can add some lead anywhere on your trike.

2.  Fill your tires with liquid.  I'll admit that's a trick I learned when rock crawling a high clearance Jeep.  I'm not sure if that's possible with bike tires, unless you're running tubeless, but you can add tire weight by putting in liners and slime tubes.

If you think tipping a trike is bad, imagine tipping a hand-cycle.  I used to skate with a guy who was just starting to ride his hand-cycle, I don't know how many times I pulled him out of the ditch, weeds, etc after he lost it at speed.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2014, 11:18am

To help keep the center of gravity lower, don't use a trunk (rack) bag on the top of a rear rack.  Use bags that hang either on the side of your rack or bags that hang on your seat. There are several reviewed on BentRider Online, one of which is Smokey Mountain Saddle Bags (http://smokymtnsaddlebags.com/).  I've not used these but Catrike owners use bags that fit in their rear frame to keep the COG lower.  

Also, lean into the corner with your body to help keep the wheels on the ground.  I'm sure when the Clowns get back from riding this morning, you will have more suggestions.

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2014, 5:24pm

Yep!  The real key is learning to lean or roll your body toward the inside of the turn.  Any trike can be flipped, and most of us who have ridden them a lot have done it.  The guys who raced the old fashioned trikes would cling to the inside of the frame on turns to keep the wheels on the ground, like a TT racer or a circus pony rider.  Learn the limits by practice.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2014, 10:27pm

As Bob said, learning to lean is important, the more so as you raise the level of gravity.  On a Rover which has a higher back angle, it's easier to lean, which is good because it's so high off the ground.  A 700's back rest angle makes it more difficult to lean effectively, but it's so much lower that you almost don't have to.  Here, I am taking the corner at about 27 mph, (though the speed scrubs off quickly), and it's only my head that I lean, really: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ipMKhmPRc

As Bob said, you can even learn the limits, and lift at will.  There are lots of videos on YouTube showing folks "biking" their trikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVxVo-DrCYc

You may do it to a lesser degree, but explore the limits of your trike to increase your peace of mind when you're in the cockpit.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2014, 12:27pm

Being a Rambler owner, I hear ya...  it's just the nature of the beast, given the relatively high seat position.  And yes, with a 26 (or 650) wheel in back, it raises it higher.  

And yes, if you turn while on an incline (like a driveway entrance or somesuch), you're magnifying the problem...

From Day One, I told Terrie to slow way the heck down in turns, and to lean to the inside...  actually, leaning slightly FORWARD and to the inside helps make it easier to lean to the inside.  And she hasn't tipped it yet.  You might even consider playing with it in slow turns to get more familiar with what it takes to lift a wheel...

I'm not aware of any other seat that can be put on the trike for a lower center of gravity -- I wish there was one, because I think the pedal position is too low relative to the seat -- the front edge of the seat sling hits the backs of one's thighs a lot more than I like.

I've probably said it in my Ramblin' Thread, but I consider the Rover and Rambler to basically be sub-15mph machines...  I take it up higher, but that's me...

You're simply going to have to get in the habit of slowing down in turns, and leaning to the inside.  Plain and simple.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print