Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 6:24am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What the hell is that??? (Read 1564 times)
gfreeman

rbent member

What the hell is that???
Sep 17th, 2014, 5:00pm

My wife and I recently bought two TerraTrike Rovers and have been riding WRCT, WRLT, Santa Fe and Katy.  Something has really surprised me.  I still see very few recumbent trikes.  When we bought one of our Rovers at RBM, they told us they were selling them as fast as they could get them in and put them together, and I believe them.  I had to order a couple of weeks in advance of when I wanted it.  One guy passed us on the Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago. We saw a couple on fancier trikes on White Rock one Saturday.  But that's all (except for my ride with RBM)  I dont know where all those others are being ridden.  But the best part is the reaction of people who do not know what they are.  I recently rode out of my office building near Knox and Cole.  When i rode back into the garage, I encountered an "elevator friend" leaving in her car.  She stared at me and asked, "Have you had surgery or something?"  I said, "No."  She said, "What are you doing"   I said, "Riding."  She said "Strange man,"  and drove away.  Later in the week, I loaded our trikes into the back of my truck and drove to the Katy Trail Icehouse.  The valet saw me drive up and asked if I needed handicapped parking.  The week before, I was on the WRCT, and a youngster passed me going the other way.  I think he thought I was a paraplegic, and admired me for being out there.  He shouted out, "I love you sir."  I think it is hilarious.  Has everyone else had this experience?  Shoot me some of your funny stories.  Where are all those trikes RBM is selling?     Smiley Smiley

Email   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Re: What the hell is that???
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2014, 6:06pm

Most of us ride WRL on Tuesday and Thursday morning starting at around 8:40-9am following breakfast at Barbec's from 8-8:30am.  However, there are usually only a handful of trike riders including myself while most others ride their recumbent bikes.  Come join us!

But, the only thing anyone has ever said to me so far is yelling, Get off the road!"   Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:54am by BentTrekker »  

Matt Bailey
OWN: Optima High Baron
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Email WWW BentTrekker   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2014, 6:16pm

I've often felt that people give me an extra-wide clearance while riding because they assume I'm handicapped. Comments made to me have often reinforced this notion. My favorite example is a gentleman that approached me after Ride Ataxia a couple of years back. I was parking my trike next to line of trikes that had just completed the ride. Several of them belonged to some of the Ataxia riders who have the disease. As I got up, this sweet man came over and began looking at me and the trike. Looking at the trike, he asked me "how long have you had it?" Thinking he meant the trike, I told him I'd had it since 2008. He then asked how far I had ridden that day. I told him I had done about 20 miles. He immediately became hugely enthusiastic, telling me what a great job he thought I had done and amazed that anyone could ride that far. He kept going on and it finally dawned on me that he thought I was one of the actual Ataxia riders and had assumed that anyone riding a trike that day must be dealing with the disease. I was really embarrassed but I knew he was well-meaning and didn't want to ruin it for him so I thanked him for being "so proud of my accomplishment" and promised to keep fighting.  

As far as trike sales go, I just saw Joel last weekend at RBM and he said he is selling all of them pretty much as fast as they can put them together but he has NO idea where they disappear to.

IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2014, 6:29pm

I believe Maytag has been complaining about loss of sales.  

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2014, 7:21pm by johnnybent »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2014, 6:35pm

"Where are all the trikes?" IMO they are in garages gathering dust. New trikers showed up for each of the early RBM rides, but hardly any of them were the ones that showed up for previous rides. In the past there have been a lot more trikes at WRL. Probably, the trikers that ride the most miles there, now, belong to the Clown ride group. I ride my trike at the monthly RBM rides, Tour Dallas, Ride of Silence and when I'm in recovery mode, after injuring one of my hips falling off of a bike. Otherwise, it's sitting in my garage.

Haven't received many questions about why I'm riding a trike. However, have received a number of questions concerning cost and where to buy them. Kids seem to get a real kick out of them. I've heard a number of them say: "I want one of those".  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2014, 7:21pm

I've had dozens of encouraging comments, thumbs up, and people wanting to take pictures or asking for info, only two shouts of "get off the street!"  Both of those were from pedestrians!  We've had several friends take test rides.  The most common remark is "that was fun!"  My son wondered how we go so many miles on them, as his legs were worn out after two miles.

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2014, 7:25pm by rmillay »  

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2014, 8:23am

I had a motorcycle rider yell at me to get off the road one morning. My presence prevented him from passing some cars, on the right. Thought it amusing as I'm certain many of the motorists were wanting to yell the same thing at him.

IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2014, 9:12am

I live out in Weatherford and have seen a large increase in trike riders over the past year or so.  When I first bought my trike several years ago, I was the only trike rider in the area that I was aware of.  There are at least a dozen of us now.

Since RBM is one of the few authorized trike dealers in the area, I'm sure that a lot of the trikes sold there find homes in the many outlying areas like Weatherford.  Of course many of those find a nice comfy spot in the garage and move very little from that spot. Wink

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2014, 10:17am

If a lot of people are like me, I ride the 2-wheelers during the really hot summer months to get some distance between me and the black top.  Then come fall I go back to the trike.  Besides, I don't want any of my recumbents to feel "unloved".  Come join the coffee ride on Saturday and I know of at least two trikes that will be there--a TW Mantis and a Scarab.  I'm hoping there will be a 700 from McKinney and some other Cats from Oak Cliff.  The Tour of Dallas in the spring is usually a ride that most of us show up with our trikes.    

I agree with Patti, when riding the trike, I think most people think that we're disabled and are on scooters.  I'm always amazed at the wide berth that cars give me on the road while riding the trike.  The other amazement--kids always are excited to see a trike.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2014, 4:20pm

Part of the issue is that a trike isn't a "DF Group Ride Friendly" machine, so it's hard to bring one out and join other non-bent riders -- not to mention having to work a bit harder to keep the speed up.   A regular group of DF riders is going to have a bit of freakout having to watch for a trike coming up beside them.   I've ridden the Rambler a couple times on the Mesquite Ride, and a Catrike once on the GDB Sunday Roll, but I knew those folks, and they knew I wasn't going to do anything unexpected.

So, any trike group ride almost has to be a recumbent mix or trike-only affair -- and it's up to guess who to put that together???   US !!!!!!!!    Smiley

I'm kinda tempted to ride the Rambler on the Tour de Coffee/Rooster tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I'll be on the Rocket.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2014, 7:04pm

Steve and I will be there on our trikes.

IP Logged
gfreeman

rbent member

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 2:23pm

Just to continue the humor surrounding the topic of people who dont know about trikes thinking you are handicapped when they see you riding one, I had another occurrence Saturday.  I pulled up to a water fountain on the WRL Trial and got out my water bottle.  A guy standing there asked me very quickly if i needed help, assuming that I could not get over to the fountain to fill up by myself. He was very embarrassed, although I tried to tell him that he should not be.  After all, he was just trying to extend a kindness.  Still, I cant help but think it is funny when people see me on the trike and think I am impaired.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 9:56pm

Howdy!
I'm pretty much a trike-only rider, and I'm based in McKinney.  No one really supposes me to be handicapped because I tend to ride on the higher end of performance:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1sSXaIfUA&list=UU0f_JiZ0-oDNd_oLSIvy5yA  (by 3:50 I'm doing 38.6 mph).  What I get are the folks who just want to pace me to see how fast I'm going, (often about 22 mph). (Video to be removed soon for its re-edit.)  
At the red lights they pull out their video cameras for the rare opportunity.  I get more "Attaboy" comments than the "Get off the road!!" ones.  The neatest thing is when I'm stopped somewhere, and someone who has no idea what to expect agrees to sit on it...to their wonderment at the comfort.  One guy goes, "Oh, you've GOT to be kidding me!"

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2014, 10:03pm by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2014, 12:58pm

Cool video, Key!

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print