Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 5:30am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2014 HHH (Read 5907 times)
Ldoc1234

rbent member

Re: 2014 HHH
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2014, 9:35pm

This years ride was , in my opinion, really great. I decided to ride the 1 week old Carbontrike after only 20 miles on it.I also had a severe problem with knee pain after the 20 mile ride- not set up right for me yet and was worried about riding at all. Anyway for strange reason started getting severe cramps at only 38 miles???? and had to stop, but after a LOT of pickle juice managed to get going again. I was riding with two friends on road bikes and averaged about 17.5 mph for the first 60 miles, top speed 32. Then one friend hit the wall at hells gate and had to find a sag to get him out. was getting late after that and very hot, other friend wanted out too and decided to take the cut to the Airforce base which was a great experience again, and finished with 75 miles. All in all very nice ride, cant understand the leg cramps at such low miles though, maybe total new ride position that I was not used to yet..Trike was awesome especially up hills. saw some trike riders on the way, one really quick on a cat 700 doing the hundred,, but didnt know who they were being new to the forum.

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2014, 10:18pm

Thanks, Bud!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2014, 6:33am

Jim - With any decently faired bike you are going to be riding alone, unless you ride with another faired bike. With my F-40, and especially the Quest, riding with other recumbents at their speed is a challenge. It is like riding a normal recumbent with a DF - except worse.  

Because a faired bike is so fast on the downhill, and on level ground, my strategy is to usually wait at the top of a hill for everyone else and then leave them behind again on the downhill and wait at the top of the next hill.

Only very physically fit, positioned very low in the aero bars, time trial athletes are able to get a 1/2 draft off the F-40 or Quest, and then only if they are just inches from the rear of the bike. Even then you have to hold the speed of Quest exactly steady - any little variation in your faired bike speed and they'll lose the draft and drop off the end like a rock.

Unless the recumbent rider was very experienced drafting in fast, large groups, I would not want a recumbent with the buzz saw on the front of their bike just inches from the rear of my Quest.

On the plus side you are going to get Strava KOMs like this:

http://danhansenjr.com/2014/08/11/quest-kom-again-by-one-second-5-2-miles-29-2-m ph.html

When I want to ride with others I take the P-38, Catrike Expedition or TiAero. (Unless it is Greg Gross on the M5, then definitely take the Quest Smiley )

Email WWW   IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2014, 6:50am

Quote from Ldoc1234 on Aug 26th, 2014, 9:35pm:
Anyway for strange reason started getting severe cramps at only 38 miles????

Two things.

First, I arrived in Iowa Park a day early, it was very hot Friday and I was sweating like mad. Even though I was drinking water all day long I was not peeing at all. I was very worried about starting the ride already dehydrated. Fortunately I awoke Saturday morning hydrated pretty good.

Second, I have noticed that even small differences between bikes causes the use of different muscles in the legs. The F-40 is very hard on the inner quads and the Quest is hard on the calfs and hamstrings. Where I start cramping is determined by which bike I am riding.

For me, cramping is usually caused by overuse of a specific muscle, that is, trying to get the muscle to do more work for a longer time and it has been conditioned to do in the past.

Untrained muscles can usually last about two hours before exhaustion. I would image that your 38 mile cramping is more related to how long (time wise) it took you to go 38 miles in the heat.

I did a related blog about muscles, bonking, slow-twitch and fast-twitch here: http://danhansenjr.com/education/2013/08/17/slow-twitch-description.html

The key for me was to develop the specific slow-twitch muscles that the specific bike tended to really use a lot.

Email WWW   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2014, 7:37pm

Quote from dhansen on Aug 26th, 2014, 3:43am:
A lot of fun this year in the Quest.

Jim - Sorry about your tire troubles. Good seeing you on the ride!

Write up about the whole HHH weekend here: http://danhansenjr.com/2014/08/23/quest-hotter-n-hell-hundred-ride-report.html

Dan,

I think there was another Velo out there..

Up the road from where I first saw you, there was what I think was an Alleweder, shiny and silver.  It was before rest stop two if I remember correctly.

I tried to go for the catch on him on a bit of a downhill but I was a little over-enthusiastic in my up shift.  I managed to throw my chain to the outside and it promptly tied itself in knots so I missed getting pictures of it.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #20 - Aug 29th, 2014, 10:25am

Great job everyone!!  The HHH 100 is on my cycling bucket list and has been since before I rode a recumbent. I've actually never done a century on my recumbent.  Highest I've gone is 86 miles. Someday, someday....

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2014, 10:26am by shellbear »  

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print