Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 3:13pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2 trikes fit in sienna (maybe) (Read 4998 times)
esbee

rbent member

2 trikes fit in sienna (maybe)
Jul 31st, 2014, 3:51pm

rode 3 bike/trikes- drew 4x8 space in driveway to see how 2 trikes to see how they fit in 4x8 space (size of Toyota sienna cargo space w/ seats out) they fit easily will have to try trikes in actual space for final test---then  if $ materializes we might buy a new sienna so we can take the 2 trikes out for rides and lock them up. then decided to ride my upright bike around block-rode good-seat felt fine and then rode two trikes around block, then today (yes it is raining lightly)  up and down givens road of old Schwinn.  only went a total of 2 miles in all.
susan in paris Smiley

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: 2 trikes fit in sienna (maybe)
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2014, 12:12pm

Why not look at a dodge grand caravan, a Ford transit, or a nissan nv?  You might find one of then meets your criteria.  Going to look at them myself.  Drove a transit yesterday.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2014, 12:58pm

Bought a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan with 11,000 miles on it for $19,000 in Dec. 2012 from CarMax, specifically for transporting my bikes and trike. All the rear seats fold flat into the floor. I've covered the whole floor with interlocking rubber mats from Sam's. I've transported my Carbent and a road bike, mounted side-by-side on fork mounts attached to a board. Also, have transported my Musashi and Cruzbike Silvio side-by-side. Plenty of room for two trikes laid on their sides. Rattles a lot with the seats retracted into the floor. Has a big engine and great acceleration for a van (0-60 in 7.1 sec). Haven't had any problems with it. Heck of a lot cheaper than a Toyota, Nissan or Honda.

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2014, 1:02pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2014, 1:11pm

my husband is sold on Toyotas
he does not like fords or many other makes and models
and he is venomous towards used vehicles-mainly because when we were first married, we had nothing but troubles with used vehicles, they kept us poor, nickel and dimeing us to death so it would be very difficult to talk him into any thing else.  
Susan in paris

Email WWW   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2014, 1:36pm

Quote from esbee on Aug 1st, 2014, 1:11pm:

He's a very intelligent person I can see Wink  I've only owned Toyotas and it's going to remain that way until I can afford a Tesla  Cheesy

Matt Bailey
OWN: Optima High Baron
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Email WWW BentTrekker   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2014, 1:50pm

Quote from esbee on Aug 1st, 2014, 1:11pm:
he does not like fords or many other makes and models
and he is venomous towards used vehicles-mainly because when we were first married, we had nothing but troubles with used vehicles, they kept us poor, nickel and dimeing us to death so it would be very difficult to talk him into any thing else.
Susan in paris

But, just think, you could buy a couple of Carbontrikes (http://www.carbontrikes.com/) with the money you would save.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2014, 3:08pm

Couldn't afford the carbon trikes due to the maintenance costs..

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2014, 6:09pm

The Sienna is not a bad choice.  My Honda minivan will hold a 700 and a Speed with one middle seat removed.  Storing the seat is a problem, though it can make a good cat bed.  if you keep a trike in the house, however, it becomes the default cat bed.  Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2014, 7:23pm

Quote:
if you keep a trike in the house, however, it becomes the default cat bed.

We have two cats, would I need two trikes?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2014, 8:07pm

any flat surface in our house is the default cats' beds!!!!!!!

I put the Anura trike in the back of our Rav4. It fits with tire turned to fit in space between drivers seat and where back seat folds down.  
got in 8 miles on the trail de paris. took some fotos of a very interesting new feature on the trail. Apparently Paris is halfway between Farmersville and New Boston so they had some sort of NETT dedication last summer and erected a huge timber with a split in it. I guess the split represents the trail as it had  plaques for F-ville, Paris and NewB on it. I am keeping it in there so i can go back to the trail on Saturday and perhaps take it with us to eat in McKinney and find a trail there.

Susan in Paris

Email WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2014, 6:11pm

John; yes.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2014, 12:12am

Quote from jayg on Aug 1st, 2014, 12:58pm:
Plenty of room for two trikes laid on their sides.
Jay, have you tried to put the two trikes in one facing forward, the other rearward?  Two fit perfectly on the trailer that way.   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 3rd, 2014, 9:10am

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 3rd, 2014, 12:12am:
Quote from jayg on Aug 1st, 2014, 12:58pm:
Plenty of room for two trikes laid on their sides.
Jay, have you tried to put the two trikes in one facing forward, the other rearward?  Two fit perfectly on the trailer that way.   Smiley

Key, loaded my Catrike Speed into the van, scooted it all the way over to one side, and took some measurements. Looks like two Speeds will fit, using your suggested loading method. JimFPU, in case you ask, no you can't have my van.   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2014, 11:21am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
testersbc

rbent member

Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2014, 1:39pm

i have a buick rendezvous.  we put my wifes speed and my expedition in there one facing forward and one backwards and have no problems..

Email   IP Logged
GBRAD

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2014, 6:45pm

Esbee-
My wife and I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna, Dan Hansen and his wife have a 2011 Toyota Sienna and we haul two trikes in each on a regular basis.  I have 2 Catrike 700's and Dan has two Expeditions.  The only problem is that you have to remove the middle seat or seats depending if yours has bucket seats in the middle (and they are heavy).  We place one trike facing forward and the other towards the rear.  We have plenty of room for luggage and tools also.  The Chrysler is more convenient with the stow and go, but the Sienna and also the Honda odyssey will also carry two trikes as Jane Knight has the Honda.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print