Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 12:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Computrainer / Spin Class riding (Read 4666 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Computrainer / Spin Class riding
Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2014, 4:47pm

Well, I ventured back to Cycling Center Dallas for the first time in quite a while, taking advantage of a "come back for two free classes" offer...  since I'm anticipating doing Paluxy and The Wall in a couple weeks, I figured a little extra hard riding wouldn't hurt -- and I used the Rocket with the Hoagie seat, instead of the Xstream, because that's what I'll take to Paluxy

This was a "3 Minute Power Test" session, lasting an hour...  after a ~10 minute warmup, you upshift and give it everything you've got for three minutes, then recover for 5 minutes at an increasing ~50-70% of your "FTP" (Functional Threshold Power)... then repeat... and repeat... and repeat....and repeat.... and repeat a 6th time.

My "FTP" was set to 205W, as a reference.  

Not having done this sort of thing before, of course I "went out too fast" on the first 3 minute sprint, topping 500 watts and holding it for a minute before realizing that three minutes is a LONG TIME...   Cool   So, the rest of the sprint sessions, I typically held at 300-320 watts the entire 3 minutes, with a power burst the last 15 seconds.

Average overall power for the hour long session was 220 watts

Max wattage thresholds were
Max - 518
5 sec  -- 480
10 sec -- 478
20 sec -- 462
30 sec -- 461
60 sec -- 353
2 min -- 334

Doing the three minute sprint / maxout, I could kinda tell that I'm more used to doing TWO minute sprints...  that last minute was hard to hold....

I'm planning to do it again next Monday.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Computrainer / Spin Class riding
Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2014, 10:47am

Last week was the '3 minute test" practice prep session, with 6 cycles of 3 min sprint, 5 min recover...  this week was the "official" 3- and 8-minute threshold test -- about 20 minutes of warmup, with four short 15-second warmup sprints, then a 3 minute full out time at 2% grade, then 25(!) minutes of continued "level ground" riding, then an 8-minute test time holding as many watts as you can at a 2% grade.

I did this on the Rocket, with 559 wheel / 1.30" Durano tire.

For what it's worth, my 3 minute average was 310 Watts, and my 8 minute average was 259 watts.  Not bad for somebody who doesn't really "train"...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print