Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:31am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Computrainer / Spin Class riding (Read 4651 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Computrainer / Spin Class riding
Dec 10th, 2013, 4:29pm

Thought I'd start a thread on indoor Computrainer rides people do...  given the icy conditions...   If you do these kinds of rides occasionally, post about it here!

I put the Xstream on the roof rack, and ventured out Sunday morning, navigating the treacherous 190 bridge across 75 to Coit, to go to Dallas Cycling Center for a two hour spin class...  When I got there, there was a layer of ice on all forward-facing surfaces of the bike...  

I haven't done one of these classes since back in the Spring...  The spin class was the farily flat Florida Ironman course, with Computrainers set to mimic the terrain/resistance.  There were ten of us crazy folks that came out for it.  It was interesting, in that it was a "race" of sorts, where you could see the others' readings and distance -- but they suggested you stay at ~80-90% of your "FTP" wattage - they guessed mine at 180 watts, which was about what I used back in the Spring.  Two guys were obviously power riders, along with one woman who quickly got a half mile ahead of me and stayed there...  but, after about an hour, I started gaining ground on her, and when I got within 0.1 mile I could tell she was pushing to try to hold me off...  but about 10 minutes later, she faded, and I took over 3rd and held it the rest of the way...  never did catch the guys, though, and they finished the two hours about 1 and 2 miles ahead of me.

I was pleasantly surprised that I could even DO a two hour indoor ride like this, with essentially no "coasting" downtime... and it was kinda fun chasing down the one rider   Smiley

The Computrainer data report was kinda interesting, for what it's worth

Distance: 37.5 mi
Avg speed:  18.75 mph
Avg power:  175 watts
Avg W/kg:  1.92
Max Power:  335 watts
Max W/kg:  3.68
Calories:  1555

Of course, two days later, my quads are still telling me about it....  but it was good to get outta the house!!!

Next?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Re: Computrainer / Spin Class riding
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2013, 7:01pm

sounds like fun, does anyone know of something like this on the Ft Worth side of town????

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2013, 5:13am

I have been spending most of my time running these days, but with the weather being what it is, I fired up my CycleOps Virtual Trainer last night, and rode from Asheville to Craggy Gardens along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  That's a mostly uphill and very scenic route, and the person who filmed it did a very good job - it's probably one of the best videos I've found, if a little short.  It makes me want to throw a bike on the car and drive out there (maybe a spring trip)

Distance:  18.9 mi
Climbing:  3407 feet
Avg speed:  14.1 mph
Avg power:  265 watts
Avg W/kg:  3.43
Max Power:  545 watts
Max W/kg:  7.05
Avg Cadence: 81
Calories:     1369 (per Strava)

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2013, 5:14am by AustinSkater »  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2013, 2:02pm

With that much climbing (compared to the Florida route), you would definitely exert more power over half the distance!!!  But 7 W/kg??  Urg....

Wink

Quote from AustinSkater on Dec 11th, 2013, 5:13am:
...from Asheville to Craggy Gardens along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  That's a mostly uphill and very scenic route...

Distance:  18.9 mi
Climbing:  3407 feet
Avg speed:  14.1 mph
Avg power:  265 watts
Avg W/kg:  3.43
Max Power:  545 watts
Max W/kg:  7.05
Avg Cadence: 81
Calories:     1369 (per Strava)

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2013, 2:02pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

AustinSkater

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2013, 2:39pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 11th, 2013, 2:02pm:
With that much climbing (compared to the Florida route), you would definitely exert more power over half the distance!!!  But 7 W/kg??  Urg....

Wink

It should have been higher, but I was also watching The Avengers and got distracted a few times.

Bryan
  IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2013, 4:45pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 10th, 2013, 4:29pm:
I was pleasantly surprised that I could even DO a two hour indoor ride like this, with essentially no "coasting" downtime... and it was kinda fun chasing down the one rider  

Do they have a "efficiency factor" when they are calculating your distance?  Being that a recumbent is typically more efficient than an upright bike you probably finished first.  At least that is how I would spin it Grin

In a side note - my wife mentioned the other day that I should go up there and try it sometime.  I guess all this sitting around the house is wearing on us both! ..... counting the days until summer......

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2013, 10:31am

I'm signed up for the 9AM two-hour class this Saturday at DCC White Rock location... although I may regret this - they're doing the Longview Freeze Your Fanny route this time -- mas climbing, although somewhat sloped downwards.

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2013, 10:32am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2013, 10:36am

Quote from TonyWard on Dec 11th, 2013, 4:45pm:

Do they have a "efficiency factor" when they are calculating your distance?  Being that a recumbent is typically more efficient than an upright bike you probably finished first.  At least that is how I would spin it Grin

Not really... given that the typical recumbent is ~10 pounds heavier, things kinda even out...  and then there's the whole BROL can o' worms argument about whether the recumbent position is as efficient as DF position climbing.  I tend to think of the 'bent as a rolling leg press machine...   Smiley

PB

AustinSkater

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2013, 11:09am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 12th, 2013, 10:36am:

Not really... given that the typical recumbent is ~10 pounds heavier, things kinda even out...  and then there's the whole BROL can o' worms argument about whether the recumbent position is as efficient as DF position climbing.  I tend to think of the 'bent as a rolling leg press machine...   Smiley

PB

My $.02 on climbing (something I know nothing about  Smiley) aerodynamic position does not outweigh the benefit of being able to stand and put body weight and power to the pedal on a climb (and I like my knees too much to lock my back into my seat and put all that pressure on the pedals with no flex).

During the Texas Time Trails, I was mixing it up with some racers on nice aero time trial bikes.  They had no problems matching me on the flats, and rolled away from me on the downhills when coasting.  As soon as the road turned upwards, I would stand and pedal away from them - they were staying on their aerobars far too long.  Of course, if I had been on a 12 lb 'bent I'd probably have outclimbed them as well.

Bryan
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2013, 1:17pm

Quote from AustinSkater on Dec 12th, 2013, 11:09am:

During the Texas Time Trails, I was mixing it up with some racers on nice aero time trial bikes.  They had no problems matching me on the flats, and rolled away from me on the downhills when coasting.  As soon as the road turned upwards, I would stand and pedal away from them - they were staying on their aerobars far too long.  Of course, if I had been on a 12 lb 'bent I'd probably have outclimbed them as well.

Uhhh... this is when you rode the "fixie", right????  Not when you were head to head vs. JS?

Agreed, aero advantage doesn't typically exist while climbing -- unless there's a stiff headwind!!!   Cool

PB

AustinSkater

Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2013, 1:28pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 12th, 2013, 1:17pm:

Uhhh... this is when you rode the "fixie", right????  Not when you were head to head vs. JS?

That was this year on the single speed, hence the ultra-light bike.  The year JS and I lit up the course I was on my Corsa SS.

Bryan
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2013, 3:29pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 12th, 2013, 10:31am:
I'm signed up for the 9AM two-hour class this Saturday at DCC White Rock location... although I may regret this - they're doing the Longview Freeze Your Fanny route this time -- mas climbing, although somewhat sloped downwards.

Do you know which route they are basing this off of, it doesn't look like the 40 mile route that's posted on the official website.  I'd like to create the same route on my Virtual Trainer, so we can compare how the two courses come out.

Bryan
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2013, 10:36am

Quote from AustinSkater on Dec 12th, 2013, 3:29pm:

Do you know which route they are basing this off of, it doesn't look like the 40 mile route that's posted on the official website.  I'd like to create the same route on my Virtual Trainer, so we can compare how the two courses come out.

Contact Rich Wharton at DCC...  he'd probably be happy to talk to you about it!

PB

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2013, 9:53am

Here's the data on the Freeze Your Fanny route.   This was a strange one, in that there were a lot of short 3% rollers that didn't last long, but you couldn't really see them coming up on the screen, and you didn't know how long they were going to last -- so after a while, I just assumed they would be short, and powered through them -- the graphs show this.  Thus, I wound up averaging 120% of my "functional threshold power" for the ride.  We were "racing" in that you could see other people's positions -- I was about a mile behind one guy for most of the ride, then decided that I would attempt to catch him in the last 15 minute "home stretch" -- the third graph shows me mostly above 200 watts during that time -- and sure enough, I caught/passed him with about two minutes to go...    Smiley

Duration:      02:00                          
Total Distance:      38.77 miles              
Average Speed:      19.35 mph       Max:      31.00      mph              
Average Pace:      03:06/mile        Max:      01:56      /mile              
Calories:      1724                    
Total Climbing:      1174      ft      358      meters              

Power Information (Ave 189w, Zone 5, FTP @ 180w)
Average Power:      189      watts      2.08      w/kg
Max Power:      529      watts      5.83      w/kg

Work:      1449      kJ

Power Zones             Time In Zone
Zone 1   (< 100)       01:03
Zone 2   (100-135)       12:04
Zone 3   (136-160)       23:39
Zone 4   (161-187)       34:47
Zone 5   (188-216)       24:27
Zone 6   (> 216)       24:21

AustinSkater

Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2013, 5:49pm

Today was such a sad day outside, I took my bike to the Valley of the Sun, for a ride on the Iron Man Arizona Loop.  This loop is not nearly as scenic as the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it has a nice easy climb for 1/2 the ride, and then a return descent.  It's a good route for gutting out a power level, since it's a steady climb. (Elevation in yellow on the image)

Distance:  37.56 mi
Time: 1:41
Climbing:  1587 feet
Avg speed:  22.2 mph
Avg power:  270 watts
Avg W/kg:  3.49
Max Power:  565 watts
Max W/kg:  7.31
Avg Cadence: 85
Calories:     1644 (per Strava)  

Bryan