Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 14th, 2024, 5:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nutrition for GU Haters (Read 4646 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Nutrition for GU Haters
Reply #15 - Aug 20th, 2013, 11:38pm

Quote from AustinSkater on Aug 18th, 2013, 1:56pm:
Quote from Action Lad on Aug 18th, 2013, 12:08am:
Again, I'm looking for a fluid...liquid...a non-viscous substance that one would drink, that is, an imbibitional replenishment.  I already have solid food that I eat, but thank you for the suggestions.  Vicki, that concoction sounds appetizing.  Thanks.

Infinit:  http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

I've just gotten back from their site...Whoa!   Shocked
You dial what you want, and there it is...with your own label.  What a concept!  I have to check out prices.  Thanks, AustinSkater!

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 20th, 2013, 11:55pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 17th, 2013, 7:20am:
Maltodextrin is chained glucose molecules, and as such, is just about the best source of instantly digested energy. It's the main ingredient of endurance drinks and gels. So you can mix Cytomax, or any of the endurance drinks, to whatever consistency you want. If you mix it thinner, it's not gooey, but you get less glucose; you'll need to drink a lot more of it to get the job done. Mix it thicker, it's gooey, but you get more glucose. You can eat all kinds of other stuff, but nothing else is going to digest as quickly and deliver as much chained glucose to your bloodstream.

Very interesting stuff.  I really have to look into fuels for the body, and how they work...and for whom.  All my life I have noticed that my muscles just do not operate like most people I encounter.  That's why the Infinit Nutrition option seems so intriguing.  Thanks for the info., Bud.  You've sparked in me the desire to do research on this.  
One thing is certain, I will chew compost before I do frosting or jelly again.  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2013, 5:45am

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 20th, 2013, 11:38pm:
Quote from AustinSkater on Aug 18th, 2013, 1:56pm:

I've just gotten back from their site...Whoa!   Shocked
You dial what you want, and there it is...with your own label.  What a concept!  I have to check out prices.  Thanks, AustinSkater!

That is the mix that I used when I raced the Tejas 500, supplemented with some gels and chicken & cheese sandwiches.  Even when warm it doesn't taste "that" bad (I've been using it on long paddles so it can get very warm in the bottle), and unlike other commercial products it doesn't taste like spackle.

They normally run a sale once per year where you can get 2 canisters for 50% off, if you order during the first hour of the sale, the discount then drops to 40% for an hour, etc.  Needless to say, for the first 5 minutes of the sale their servers get hammered and usually crash.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2013, 5:46am by AustinSkater »  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Aug 21st, 2013, 11:36am

Hmm, expensive stuff Infinit, but interesting concept.  I wonder how Dave would do with it?

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #19 - Aug 21st, 2013, 11:55am

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Aug 21st, 2013, 11:36am:
Hmm, expensive stuff Infinit, but interesting concept.  I wonder how Dave would do with it?

I'm not going to say that it is the "be all, end all" nutrition product, but like Kent and his race winning seat, I will have to give a lot of credit to this product.  At both Bessies Creek and Waco 6 Hour races I averaged one bottle (2 scoops) per Hour and won both of those, at Palo Duro Canyon 6 Hour I only drank one bottle and finished 7th.  Smiley

It is possible to get single serving samples of Infinit: http://www.infinitnutrition.us/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=38  Also, I think Texoma Bicycle Works stocks the single servings (or they used to.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2013, 1:43pm

Hmm...the MUD stuff looks interesting.  The thing is with the single servings, it is not the custom formula, which was what I wanted to play with.  Still, I might buy a MUD pack just to try it.  Dave might really do well on the custom stuff though, as he has an issue with cramping and nausea.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #21 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 4:22pm

That infinite nutrition does seem expensive.  

I drink Hammer Perpetuem mixed with water.   It doesn't have a strong flavor, which I like.  It's about $50 for 32 servings, which is still expensive, but less than infinite.    The perpetuem mix and and a SaltStick capsule per hour (less if it isn't real hot out) works very well for me.  I don't get hungry and I don't get cramps.  I usually ride 50-100 miles at time.

-John

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2013, 4:23pm by jdorlon »  

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #22 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 5:22pm

Quote from jdorlon on Aug 22nd, 2013, 4:22pm:
That infinite nutrition does seem expensive.  

I drink Hammer Perpetuem mixed with water.   It doesn't have a strong flavor, which I like.  It's about $50 for 32 servings, which is still expensive, but less than infinite.    The perpetuem mix and and a SaltStick capsule per hour (less if it isn't real hot out) works very well for me.  I don't get hungry and I don't get cramps.  I usually ride 50-100 miles at time.

-John

any experience with Hammer sustained Energy?   I've been looking for a solution as well and today my LBS spoke highly of it.  I also came across this link http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf that I intend to read through..probably propaganda for Hammer but thought I would go through it anyway.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 8:04pm

If it's still what used to be on the Hammer site, it's pretty good info, though a bit dated. And I completely disagree with their take on protein powder. I use whey protein powder, not the soy that they espouse.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print