Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 14th, 2024, 5:14pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nutrition for GU Haters (Read 4637 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Nutrition for GU Haters
Aug 16th, 2013, 10:05pm

I dislike GU nearly as much as I dislike chipseal.  Does anyone know of a mid-ride high-energy replacement  
d-r-i-n-k, or at very most a smoothie-like consistency product?  Tired of going to the LBS, and asking clerks who don't know.   Smiley   Might as well ask folks with the experience of various products.   Before it's even mentioned, let's leave pickle juice and all gooey things out of the discussion.   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Re: Nutrition for GU Haters
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2013, 10:41pm

In my mind, the only thing worse that GU are those Honey Stingers. I know it isnt what you asked for, but I recommend you try clif shot blocks. I like the way they taste, the cube form of them makes it easy to control the dosing on the carbs you give yourself, and the packaging is nice. Cut one end off, and you can get them out one cube at a time without getting sticky fingers.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2013, 11:22pm

Quote from Tiger_Mike on Aug 16th, 2013, 10:41pm:
In my mind, the only thing worse that GU are those Honey Stingers. I know it isnt what you asked for, but I recommend you try clif shot blocks. I like the way they taste, the cube form of them makes it easy to control the dosing on the carbs you give yourself, and the packaging is nice. Cut one end off, and you can get them out one cube at a time without getting sticky fingers.

I did mention NO gooey things.  Shot bloks are jelly cubes.  Tried 'em.  Don't even mention them, please.  I'm pretty seriously looking for something worthwhile.

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2013, 6:07am

I like chocolate milk. Of course you have to stop and buy it but if you find a way to carry it on the bike let me know!

I have tried Perpetuem but as soon as I take a drink I want to toss my cookies - probably all mental.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2013, 6:08am by TonyWard »  

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2013, 6:57am

Have you tried Clif bars?  Not gooey or squishy at all.  As a diabetic I find that they work for me while on the bike.  

If you google up "Logan Bread" you can also somewhat make your own ride food.  Vicky will be along shortly and post up her recipe.  It works pretty well while on the bike, the only issue I've found is that I can't quite manage a ziplock one handed.

I am somewhat moving over to trail mix, dried fruit, and almonds as ride food to see if I can come up with something that works well for me on long rides.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2013, 7:20am

Maltodextrin is chained glucose molecules, and as such, is just about the best source of instantly digested energy. It's the main ingredient of endurance drinks and gels. So you can mix Cytomax, or any of the endurance drinks, to whatever consistency you want. If you mix it thinner, it's not gooey, but you get less glucose; you'll need to drink a lot more of it to get the job done. Mix it thicker, it's gooey, but you get more glucose. You can eat all kinds of other stuff, but nothing else is going to digest as quickly and deliver as much chained glucose to your bloodstream.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2013, 7:35am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2013, 9:04am

I use this as a basic recipe for logan bread.

3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup diced nuts (almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, whatever you like)
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup powered milk
1/2 cup honey
3/8 cup molasses

Mix it all up in a big bowl.  You're looking for a raw consistency of thicker than cooked oatmeal.  Spread it into a 9x13" greased pan.  Bake at 275F for 90min or so, until cooked and nicely dry.  It has the consistency of dense bread--sort of like fruitcake I guess.

The last batch I make this week, had no wheat flour--I used old fashioned rolled oats and a large can of pumpkin pie filling instead, and left out the dry milk, honey and brown sugar. There was about 1/4cup of real maple syrup added though.  It came out a little bland except for the cranberries, and had a much moister texture, but not gooey.  The main recipe above will be nice and solid, easy to handle and keeps rather well on the ride.

Feel free to experiment with the base recipe, adding or subtracting what you want.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2013, 3:28pm

I'm not great on gooey stuff, either.  Cheap is cookies (like home made or bakery type--not Oreos) or brownies.  Chocolate milk does well for me, but some can't tolerate it while exercising.  Valid alternatives are drinks like Ensure, or Slimfast, found in convenience stores, but pricier.  Perpetuem has worked well for me, but not for some.  Spiz is another nutrient drink like that, but , again, higher in cost.  Sugar like Gu is fine for a quick shot of energy, but when you are on the road for three hours or more, you want something with some fat and protein in it.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2013, 12:08am

Again, I'm looking for a fluid...liquid...a non-viscous substance that one would drink, that is, an imbibitional replenishment.  I already have solid food that I eat, but thank you for the suggestions.  Vicki, that concoction sounds appetizing.  Thanks.  

Tony,
I do love chocolate milk, and I have some every once in a while, but I'm one of the less-lactose-tolerant folks.  Once in while okay, not a regular ride strategy, though.

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2013, 12:19am by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2013, 9:41am

For the thicker substances the issue I find is the ability to keep it cold enough to be palatable.  The gatorade I use is fine when the ice is all goneon a hot day.  Thicker stuff would be nasty if warm though, imho.  Maybe if you froze the Ensure the night before and wrapped it in a towel for insulation and put it in the trike bags?

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2013, 9:53am

The canned nutrition drinks are a lot cheaper by the 4-pack than at the Seven-Eleven.  However, the cans don't do so well being frozen.  Best you could do would be to chill them and fashion an insulating wrapper for them.  Although, Key has the legs to carry around an ice chest!   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2013, 1:56pm

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 18th, 2013, 12:08am:
Again, I'm looking for a fluid...liquid...a non-viscous substance that one would drink, that is, an imbibitional replenishment.  I already have solid food that I eat, but thank you for the suggestions.  Vicki, that concoction sounds appetizing.  Thanks.

Infinit:  http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2013, 7:48pm

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 18th, 2013, 12:08am:
Again, I'm looking for a fluid...liquid
What Bud said about Maltodextrin. You can buy it bulk for a great price or with additives as a sports drink. If you don't like sweeteners or flavoring, or want to add your own, try straight or something like Carbo-Pro.

Quote:
I'm one of the less-lactose-tolerant folks.
For a little extra protein to fuel your brain (if you start getting sleepy on a long ride), go with something like a thinned coconut or almond milk with some added protein powder.

I usually run 3 bottles of Carbo-Pro at half or 1/3 strength with green tea to 1 bottle of thinned almond milk w protein every four hours during a race. This is entirely what I fuel with during every race up through the 12 hour races. For 24 hour races, I usually add two bottles of thinned sweet potato soup during the race and one protein bar that I take a bite out of every few hours just to give my stomach something to chew on.

I often do 1-3 century rides a week in traffic (slower pace) and do 2 bottles of the malto/tea, 1 of the protein and 1 water and eat a solid meal shortly after I get home. In winter I can get by on 1 malto/tea and 1 protein for a century, maybe 1 water if I'm cranking it, then eat when done.

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2013, 7:51pm by goatstick »  

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2013, 9:19pm

I mix my own, using Cytomax, plain maltodextrin, and whey protein powder. Like Kent pointed out, maltodextrin is cheap. I mix in whey protein powder at around a 1 : 12 ratio. Sustained Energy is a 7 : 1 protein ratio and Heed is a 4 : 1 ratio, and that's one reason those don't sit well on some peoples' stomachs. I found the same thing, so gradually reduced the protein ratio in my custom drink to 1 : 12.

I eat just enough solid food to help keep my stomach settled. Solid food isn't going to digest fast enough to help you on anything less than an ultra distance ride anyway, so choosing what settles well is more important than trying to pick out something to help for the ride. (Key only asked about drinks anyway, but since there were other remarks making suggestions about solid food, I feel I should point this out.)

Everyone is different, and finding what works can be a moving target, as well. So don't be afraid to experiment, but pick where you experiment. Next Saturday's HHH might not be the best place to discover that your new experiment isn't working.

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2013, 9:25pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2013, 11:35pm

Quote from rmillay on Aug 18th, 2013, 9:53am:
The canned nutrition drinks are a lot cheaper by the 4-pack than at the Seven-Eleven.  However, the cans don't do so well being frozen.  Best you could do would be to chill them and fashion an insulating wrapper for them.  Although, Key has the legs to carry around an ice chest!   Smiley

Okay, now we're starting to get somewhere. Smiley
Sounds like I need to see what's there at Seven-Eleven.  Thanks, Bob.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print