Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 10:13pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214966 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #300 - Jul 8th, 2013, 11:22am

I like the Hoagie bag a lot, and the support frame definitely is a good thing when you pile a lot of stuff in it...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #301 - Jul 8th, 2013, 10:22pm

Safe Zone Mirror

After reading the review on BROL i decided to get myself one of these http://www.safezonemirror.com/   I have now been riding with it for a few weeks and am very pleased with the purchase.  I often wondered why anyone would want a helmet mounted mirror and one day ask the flyinglazyboy why he wore one, his response was "no matter how I turn my head I can always see behind me".  This is a great mirror, well designed and provides a superb view regardless of how you turn your head.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #302 - Jul 8th, 2013, 11:19pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 1st, 2013, 6:39am:
Quote from Action Lad on Jun 29th, 2013, 10:31pm:

This "John's"...a recumbent shop?  I'm getting tired of paying extra going to a decent shop, just because I ride recumbent.  If the distance is reasonable, I'll give them a shot.

John's Bicycles in Lancaster...  a bit of a drive from your part o' town, but they appreciate the 'bent...   John himself is in Colorado for the summer, running a MTB shop up there, but Michael is running it for him, and is pretty good, too.  John's taught him well.

PB

Well, at a bit over 50 miles, it's a sight closer than Easy Street, I reckon.  Thanks.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #303 - Aug 1st, 2013, 9:53am

Have added several parts and supplies in the last week or two.
BB7 brakes installed on my Giro.  YAY!
Case of spare tubes and a full set of organic BB7 pads purchased.
New bar set and riser/stem 2-piece combo purchased.  Will need to wait to install this setup until we have a spare tandem length brake cable and rear derailleur cable in case the existing ones prove too short with the new bar setup to reuse.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #304 - Aug 1st, 2013, 10:57pm

After thousand upon thousands of miles, my seat and frame bags were deteriorated, and faded from the sun. The former seat was the plain mesh Catrike used to put out.  Loved it, and I was afraid of the earlier twisting experienced by many when the new ones came out years ago.  I remember reading that they changed the orientation of the grain to keep it from happening.  Mine has gone perhaps 300 miles now, and not a sign of shifting.  yay.  There's a cool pocket right under the right thigh for my keys or my garage opener.  Another that's big enough for a light battery that I struggled to insert in the former seat's pocket.

So happy with the new bags.  The others were so faded from sun and worn from weather.  Didn't buy new ones 'cause they sure don't float down from the heavens.  Finally broke down when a failing zipper was threatening the loss of important contents.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #305 - Aug 3rd, 2013, 8:22am

Funny thing happened on the way to announce my retirement;  my employer made me an offer I couldn't refuse extending my employment yet another two years.  While I was all set to begin building our own trikes its been pushed out another two years.  We didn't want to wait.

So we just ordered a pair of these:

Bodylink seats are awesome.  Always liked hardshells but the Bodylink has always been one of our favorites.

Should be here in early September.  We'll retofit the Dual Drive with a triple front & Nuvinci IGH.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2013, 8:26am by Denman »  
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #306 - Aug 3rd, 2013, 9:24am

RBM has one in the store. Have you built one of your rolling models yet?  What price range are you aiming for?

Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #307 - Aug 3rd, 2013, 9:42am

We looked at the model at RBM.  Price was $500 over MSRP, and Taxus state taxes make buying in state cost prohibitive.

Have not yet finished a rolling trike, but have built the swing arm and one side of the suspension, then set it up on a cycling test fixture.  Powered with air cylinders and stressed with springs, ran the testbed over 100,000 cycles with 2:1 loads in two axis...no cracks, and very little bearing wear.  The spindle was hand machined; very tedious without using a CNC.  CNC setup charges were quoted at $1700 - $2400 with individual spindle costs at $145 - $115 each on runs of 10 at a time.

If I were building 100 units a year the target sales price is $4200 nicely equipped.  Unfortunately at 10 units a year the manufacturing cost is significantly higher, so to make it worthwhile means 100+ units/year.  Nor would I plan on making much money for the first 3 years; probably a loss for the first two years.  It is after all, more of a retirement hobby business, something to keep me off the streets and at some later date make a profit.

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #308 - Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:11am

So, what are you gonna do with your used ol' Cattrikes? Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:11am by Monkeywrangler22 »  

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #309 - Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:58am

Vicki,
The Cats are now listed in the For Sale section, but they won't be released until the HPV's are ready to ride.  In fact we're thinking about taking the Cats to Palo Duro over Labor Day which may be the last touring ride we use them for.  Had hoped the HPV's would be ready before then, but it won't happen.

Nice thing about Cats, is they tend to re-sell pretty easily.  Not in a rush to get rid of them.  My son & soon to be daughter-in-law will be moving back to Texas in a few months and they really like riding them.  We'll see what happens.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #310 - Aug 10th, 2013, 5:48pm

Discovered recently that the Velocity Spartacus Uriel rear wheel on my Carbent was 7 grams out of balance (Enough to shake the rear of the bike excessively when it was run up on a test stand). Decided to order a new wheelset for the bike. Ordered the wheelset pictured below. It weighs 1467 grams, which represents a 198 gram weight savings over the bike's original Velocity wheelset. Bladed spoke count for the new set is 24/28 vs. 20/24 (round spokes) for the Velocity. The wheels are hand built and have no perceptible lateral or radial runout (And, are not out of balance  Smiley). Rode the Carbent, equipped with the new wheelset, on today's Plano East Side ride. They were stiff and rolled fast. The rear wheel is advertised as SRAM 8/9/10-speed compatible. However, the 10-speed SRAM cassette I installed was loose on the freewheel (Didn't find out, until I did the ride) . Rattle, rattle, rattle. Will have to install a shim ring behind the cassette to make it tight.  

Vuelta Corsa SLR Road Wheelset  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #311 - Aug 11th, 2013, 3:04pm

Quote from jayg on Aug 10th, 2013, 5:48pm:
Discovered recently that the Velocity Spartacus Uriel rear wheel on my Carbent was 7 grams out of balance (Enough to shake the rear of the bike excessively when it was run up on a test stand). Decided to order a new wheelset for the bike. Ordered the wheelset pictured below. It weighs 1467 grams, which represents a 198 gram weight savings over the bike's original Velocity wheelset. Bladed spoke count for the new set is 24/28 vs. 20/24 (round spokes) for the Velocity. The wheels are hand built and have no perceptible lateral or radial runout (And, are not out of balance  Smiley). Rode the Carbent, equipped with the new wheelset, on today's Plano East Side ride. They were stiff and rolled fast. The rear wheel is advertised as SRAM 8/9/10-speed compatible. However, the 10-speed SRAM cassette I installed was loose on the freewheel (Didn't find out, until I did the ride) . Rattle, rattle, rattle. Will have to install a shim ring behind the cassette to make it tight.  

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00195_zps4f0d721e.jpg

Vuelta Corsa SLR Road Wheelset  

Problem solved by adding 0.5 mm shim behind cassette.

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #312 - Aug 14th, 2013, 6:03pm

Ordered a Monkey Mirror for the helmet.  Dave ordered some tandem length cables for the bikes.

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #313 - Aug 18th, 2013, 11:47am

As soon as I started to bicycle commute I knew it was time to put proper pedals on the V2. I got some Keen Commuter III cycling sandals and another taillight at REI, cashed in my dividend and got a deal. Then went on to Richardson Bike Mart to try on and buy a pair of Sidi Megas, but was disappointed they didn't have any. I did buy a set of Shimano PD-M540 pedals. I'm a little disappopinted the cleats are almost but not quite fully recessed in the sandal. They're comfortable enough to walk around on, but I suspect they'd make great tile crackers. Must try to remember that!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #314 - Aug 23rd, 2013, 8:24am

The cleats are more recessed on my Keen IIIs than on my regular MTB bike shoes...   Did you have to carve out some rubber to get the cleat to clip in to the pedal?  When I moved the cleats all the way towards the back,  I had to cut about 1/4" out...  see earlier photos.

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2013, 8:25am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 45
Send Topic Print