Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 3:40pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214948 times)
Bud_Bent

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #285 - May 31st, 2013, 8:56pm

I bought Eddie's Sportworks rack this morning. I've been using Sportworks racks for years, and this rack seems to kind of complete the set. I already have two Sportsworks rack bases. One fits a 2 inch hitch receiver, and the other a 1 1/4 inch. I also already have two Sportworks recumbent racks.  

Sportworks recumbent racks differ from their regular racks by having ratcheting arms on both ends of the racks, rather than just at one end like the regular racks have. I've thought for years that they are the finest hitch racks ever made. With two ratcheting arms, you can load or unload a bike in just a few seconds, and it's as solid as any rack I've ever seen.

For years, one of my Sportworks racks has been adjusted for my Corsa, and the other for Rose's Stratus, then her Xstream. The one shortcoming of regular Sportworks recumbent racks is that they're not long enough for longer recumbents. They aren't long enough for my Xstream (which is longer than Rose's, which was a prototype) or our Screamer. When I traveled to Oklahoma to pick up our Screamer, I modified one of our racks to carry it, by using a piece of conduit to lengthen it. It looked like this.

A bit primitive looking, to be sure, but it did the job and got the Screamer home. I can undo that modification now. The rack I bought from Eddie is a Sportworks made for LWB bikes, and it will carry either the Screamer or my Xstream without modification.

Our Screamer on the new rack.

And my Xstream on it.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #286 - May 31st, 2013, 9:08pm

Dont you worry a bit about hanging out on each side?

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #287 - May 31st, 2013, 10:51pm

Quote from johnnybent on May 31st, 2013, 9:08pm:
Dont you worry a bit about hanging out on each side?
Not as much as I do when I'm towing my 18 1/2 foot bass boat.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #288 - Jun 1st, 2013, 3:13pm

Dont they make crappie boats?

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #289 - Jun 1st, 2013, 5:00pm

Quote from johnnybent on Jun 1st, 2013, 3:13pm:
Dont they make crappie boats?

They do, and they've become quite popular, but I like a bass boat better, even though I mostly fish for crappie.

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2013, 5:01pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #290 - Jun 28th, 2013, 7:13am

I decided to switch the Xstream handlebars to the HR3Way setup, for a somewhat more open cockpit and to get the grips somewhat further back towards me...  plus, I had occasionally been banging my shins against the 30 degree angled section of the regular bars, and couldn't move them further away.  So, I swapped out the bars myself to set the desired position, then took the bike down to John's, and Michael did a very nice job on it.  He cut an inch off the top section of the riser, so I could get the bars a bit further away, and ran new cables, since they had to be longer.  He also repacked the bearings on my rear Spinergy wheel to tighten up some play in the bearing...   All for less than $100...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #291 - Jun 29th, 2013, 10:31pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 28th, 2013, 7:13am:
I decided to switch the Xstream handlebars to the HR3Way setup, for a somewhat more open cockpit and to get the grips somewhat further back towards me...  plus, I had occasionally been banging my shins against the 30 degree angled section of the regular bars, and couldn't move them further away.  So, I swapped out the bars myself to set the desired position, then took the bike down to John's, and Michael did a very nice job on it.  He cut an inch off the top section of the riser, so I could get the bars a bit further away, and ran new cables, since they had to be longer.  He also repacked the bearings on my rear Spinergy wheel to tighten up some play in the bearing...   All for less than $100...

This "John's"...a recumbent shop?  I'm getting tired of paying extra going to a decent shop, just because I ride recumbent.  If the distance is reasonable, I'll give them a shot.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #292 - Jun 30th, 2013, 7:42pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 28th, 2013, 7:13am:

This post is worthless without pics...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #293 - Jun 30th, 2013, 9:49pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jun 30th, 2013, 7:42pm:

This post is worthless without pics...

Dunno about "worthless," but....  here's the finished product.  The grips are about 3" further back than before, so my arms aren't as extended.

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2013, 6:36am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #294 - Jul 1st, 2013, 6:39am

Quote from Action Lad on Jun 29th, 2013, 10:31pm:

This "John's"...a recumbent shop?  I'm getting tired of paying extra going to a decent shop, just because I ride recumbent.  If the distance is reasonable, I'll give them a shot.

John's Bicycles in Lancaster...  a bit of a drive from your part o' town, but they appreciate the 'bent...   John himself is in Colorado for the summer, running a MTB shop up there, but Michael is running it for him, and is pretty good, too.  John's taught him well.

PB

Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #295 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 1:21pm

I'm planning on ordering a set of those RANS 3way bars also for the Giro.  I think the long reach I have to the bars currently is aggravating my arm and causing pain.  This way I can get all sorts of adjustment out of my bars and B-pivot.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #296 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 9:01pm

Monkey #1 got a road bike this evening.  It was time for her to graduate up out of her mountain bike and hand it down to her brother.  Vicky and I's plan is to get all three of them up on the road in the next year or so.  We're looking at something like the Bike Across Kansas or CANDISC, (Cycle around North Dakota in Sakakawea Country) in 2015.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #297 - Jul 7th, 2013, 11:40am

After seeing the new Rans Hoagie seat bag on Pauls bike, I decided to get one for myself. I went to buy it off of their web site a couple of weeks ago, and the price was 14 cents....So I sent them an email to get their catalog corrected, and bought the bag a few days later. Installed the new bag on my XStream. I like it a lot. The big benefit for me is that I can put my 3 liter Osprey water bladder in it. I was worried that adding 6 pounds of water would make the seat feel kinda squirmy, but I couldn't really tell any difference. I really loaded it down for Thursday's big ride by adding an additional liter of frozen water in a nalgene bottle...so I had 8 pounds of water in the bag, and another 2.5 lbs in the bottle cages on the back of the seat. All of that extra weight caused the bike to climb slower, but the handling was unchanged -  I couldn't feel any swaying motion from the bag at all. Weight weenies can have a heart attack if they want, but I had all the water I needed for a 5 hour unsupported ride with no rest stops in the Texas heat. The way the bag attaches is genius. The aluminum tube brace under it keeps the bag rock solid, it won't sway from side to side, and it also keeps the bottom of the bag from sagging down when it's heavily loaded. Rans also has a strap on the bottom of the bag that hooks onto the seat, and that keeps the bag from riding up. I would rate this bag as expensive, but worth every penney. They really thought of everything with this bag.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #298 - Jul 7th, 2013, 3:31pm

Wrap the bladder when full of ice & water, in a terrycloth hand towel and it will stay cold LOTS longer, and also keep the condensation from wetting the rest of the gear in your bag.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #299 - Jul 7th, 2013, 8:09pm

I acquired a frozen food bag from Walmart, cut it half and a little duct tape resulted in TWO insulated sleeves the bladder slides down into.  Works very well and keeps the ice and water cold for quite a few hours in the heat.

Ain't purdy but very effective and nobody sees it inside the bag anyway!

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2013, 8:10pm by Phantom Rider »  

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 45
Send Topic Print