Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 11th, 2024, 5:04am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turning radius (Read 1479 times)
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Turning radius
Oct 16th, 2008, 8:31pm

I have a friend who just bought a 'homemade' recumbent trike in Michigan. Said his trike has an enormous turning radius. It is under seat steering and wonders if there is a way to reduce it. Not very familar with such matters and am hoping some of us has the brains to respond.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Turning radius
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2008, 9:41pm

I'm not thinking of a way that an underseat steering bike or trike could have anything other than an enormous turning radius. My old Tsunami certainly had one. If it had a tight turning radius, wouldn't that put one end of the handlebar up your CENSORED?

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2008, 9:42pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2008, 12:03pm

Agreed, the only way to get a tight turning radius on USS trikes is to change the steering ratio, which makes the trike twitchy as blazes at high speeds. Something that will help a little is to make the handlebars wider, that will both allow more lock and require more hand movement to make the vehicle feel less sensitive.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2008, 1:06pm

I can't ride an USS steering 2 wheeler to save my life and the thought of using any countersteer makes me even more scared of the things but that may be a way to turn quickly on a 2 wheeler without self surgery.

Does anyone use variable or multistage steering in USS? I remember playing with it a bit doing motorized trike design. That would give you non twitchy steering at speed unless you really cranked in one direction or the other.

Just curiosity but what kind of trike is it? 2 wheels in front or 2 wheels in back? Rear wheel steering or front wheel steering?

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2008, 1:06pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2008, 4:53pm

Opus, I shall suggest your opinion to him.  

Mark, "variable and multistage" is what I had in mind, without being able to discuss it.
It is 'tadpole' with front wheel steering. I doubt 'speed' is of any concern at 66 y/o. Besides his wife is somewhat slow when they ride together.
Both were overweight (him diebetic) and Dr. ordered them to loose weight. Both have lost weight.  

Bud, my DragonFlyer can do a 180 in much less then normal width street. 27 ft.?

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2008, 5:59pm

The EZ3USX had a pretty wide turning radius, too, but that's just the way it is...  If you widen the handlebars out much, the grips get too close to the rear wheels in a turn.  Matter of fact, that trike had a bolt secured in a curved race piece that actually stopped it from going too far to either side.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bob wand
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2008, 7:29pm

Being homemade, is it a tadpole or delta and what are the wheelsizes?

Bob Wand

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2008, 7:30pm by NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob »  
  IP Logged
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2008, 8:51am

"recumbent tadpole trike"! Not sure if he told me, looks like all are 20 inch wheels. He was a Sear's TV technician before retiring. Doubt he has any 'engineering savy'. If you wish , I can ask him if he wants to discuss it with you.

I am currently trying to get a complete novice to understand cycle terms (top tube, down tubes, etc., so he can have a welder friend make him a tadpole trike.

Tnx for replying.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print