Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 11th, 2024, 12:44am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
650C x 28 tire experience? (Read 7410 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

650C x 28 tire experience?
Oct 8th, 2008, 3:56pm

Anyone used the 650C x 28mm Terry Tellus?  I'm looking for a wider tire for the back of the XS, and there ain't much out there....   Sad

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: 650C x 28 tire experience?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2008, 4:59pm

why a wider tire?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2008, 7:22pm

Just to get a bit more cush for things like 300Ks and stuff...  considering the weight distribution, and my weight...

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2008, 8:19pm

Ray has em and I think really likes them, unfortunately they wouldn't fit onto the Corsa.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2008, 9:44am

Paul - IMHO they are really good tires.  I've used them on my Aero for more than a year.  Only flat was immediately after mounting them, probably a pinch flat.  Not sure the mileage (several thousand miles easy), I've used them exclusively, other than the few times I've mounted my Zipp 404s (for racing).
http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2147

They certainly ride smoother than any 650 x 23 tires I've used. And they roll great too.  They roll as well as any tire I've used.  According to roll down tests perfomed by Jan Hine (http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/vbqindex.html)

[Different link -- PB:     http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/images/BQ64TireTest.pdf ]

, wider tires generally toll faster than skinny tires.  For example, see Vol. 5, No. 1 (Autumn 2006) - The Performance of Tires (Rolling Resistance Tests).  This periodical is great for any Randonneur.  

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2008, 12:19pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2008, 10:18am

Quote from bikerteam on Oct 9th, 2008, 9:44am:

wider tires generally toll faster than skinny tires.  For example, see Vol. 5, No. 1 (Autumn 2006) - The Performance of Tires (Rolling Resistance Tests).  This periodical is great for any Randonneur.  

From what Ive read, this is true at the same tire pressure.   That is why skinner tires need to be kept at higher pressures.  Then they roll faster then fat tires.

For example at 90psi the fat tire is faster then a skinyr tire that is also pumped to 90psi..   BUT 90psi might be the fat tires max pressure.  Pump up the skinner tire to its max pressure (lets say 130psi), and it rolls as good or better then the fat tire and is more areo.

What creates wattage loss in a tire is the "tire flex" needed to create the "contact patch" where the tire meets the pavement.  The tire absorbs energy when it flexes.   Skinny tires have a long elliptical contact patch that requires more tire flex to create. Fat tires have a round contact patch that require little contact pressure.  So the higher pressure on the skinner tire reduces its power robbing flex.

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2008, 10:19am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2008, 10:21am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Oct 8th, 2008, 3:56pm:
Anyone used the 650C x 28mm Terry Tellus?  I'm looking for a wider tire for the back of the XS, and there ain't much out there....   Sad

Thanks for the heads up!  I did not know such a thing existed as 28mm 650c tires.  WHen I looked all I could find is 19 to 23mm 650c tires.  I've installed 559 mtn bike wheels on my barron so that I could roll wider "training" tires.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2008, 11:25am

A Michelen rep told me once that on a very smooth road the high pressure tire is faster.
But if the high pressure tire goes over a small pebble then because of low tire flex the entire bike must lift to go over the pebble using more energy.
The low pressure tire will just flex a little more and go over the pebble without lifting the bicycle.
Note how chip-seal will slow you down.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2008, 11:33am

But at higher speeds, rolling resistance is only part of the equation. Skinny tires are used on racing bikes mainly because of their aerodynamic superiority over wider tires. It's less pronounced on a bike where the rider is lower and therefore more behind the front wheel, but it's still there.

I've read a couple of interesting articles that claim that with a 20 inch front wheel, the aerodynamic gain from a narrow tire isn't worth its increased rolling resistance on every day roads, and I guess that might also be true for a bike that has bigger wheels, but a lower rider position, like the X-Stream. With a high racer or upright bike, though, your top speed wouldn't be nearly as fast.  

How much difference wider tires make on a long ride, where you're only going to average 14 to 16 mph anyway, is subject to debate. Some randonneurs seem to opt for a bit wider tire while some don't.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2008, 11:42am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2008, 11:39am

I agree. Tire size cam make a big difference.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2008, 1:29pm

Given the high probability of encountering chipseal on Rando rides in Texas, wider tires are what the Dr. is ordering...  especially since this 300K is not a "race."  I'm putting a 28mm Tellus (Thanks, Ray!) on the rear wheel for tomorrow...

jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2008, 2:14pm

Note there is a difference between wide tires and low pressure tires.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2008, 2:53pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Oct 10th, 2008, 1:29pm:
Given the high probability of encountering chipseal on Rando rides in Texas, wider tires are what the Dr. is ordering...  especially since this 300K is not a "race."  I'm putting a 28mm Tellus (Thanks, Ray!) on the rear wheel for tomorrow...

Flying Lazy Dude,  where did you acquire a tire on such short notice?

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2008, 6:26pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Oct 10th, 2008, 2:14pm:
Note there is a difference between wide tires and low pressure tires.

But it does get harder to find high pressure tires, when you shop among the wider tires. As long as you can find something rated for 100 psi or so, though, you won't lose much rolling resistance because of lower pressure.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2008, 7:27pm

You guys need to read the link I provided at the beginning of the post, and possibly subscribe to VBQ.  You'll be amazaed at the rolling resistance tests.  Trust me, what you thought you knew about tires, pressure, and rolling resistance will completely change.  

You can go into the VBQ web site and read certain articles of past issues.  I have the past, almost 3 years of back issues.  But I don't really want to let them go for too long...

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print