Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
TTTT (Read 7954 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: TTTT
Reply #30 - Sep 30th, 2008, 3:48pm

Don't sweat it Terry.  I'm not sure I could have held it together for 100 miles after so many mechanicals....

And I had to stop my lowracer and puke on my hands and knees.   I'm not as good at it as most randonneurs.  I know Pam told me she's perfected being able to do it on the bike.  I hope that's a skill I never need to learn!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #31 - Sep 30th, 2008, 5:55pm

Hmmmm... and I seem to recall Sandy talking about relieving herself off the back of a TANDEM....

Speaking of which, what's her email addy?

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008, 5:56pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #32 - Sep 30th, 2008, 6:12pm

sandyearl@gmail.com

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Sep 30th, 2008, 8:02pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 29th, 2008, 11:05pm:
While looking for some information on the 500 winner, Dallas Morris, I happened to find his BLOG, and read his report on his trip...  

At one point, he writes:

"My 36 Hour time limit event started in darkness at 6am Friday morning, apparently there were a couple heavy hitter RAAM dudes, but of course I have no idea who they are. Our event starts with an 8 mile Neutral/ drafting allowed leadout by team car. I thought 'Neutral', sweet, maybe talk a bit and meet some people/. Nope. People attack. ASAP. And I mean ATTACK!. I can't tell who's Team and who's Solo so I go with it... I work into 2nd position with a bent guy chasing me...,"

So, I left the following comment on his blog, to be read by his Alberta cycling pals:

<<Hey, there, Dallas... you left something out, my friend... the fact that the "bent guy" caught and passed you with two miles to go on that first lap, and again several times during the night!!! Ding, Ding, brother!!! >>

Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Cool
If you want to read his entire report, and get a Canadian view of Cleburne, it's at:  http://dalrock.blogspot.com/

For being such a nice mild-mannered guy he certainly does have some "issues" ...

"This area of Texas has oil and gas, lots of it (depleting rapidly). And thanks to the Bush/Cheney Govt. all proposed energy based projects that are applied for, go through without opposition. The last few years it's been like a 'burn down the house to stay warm for one night' type approach to harvest the gas and leftover oil here, these guys have no idea what they're doing, besides a get rich quick scheme. So this area is simply exploding around the clock/ 24/7 of Oil and Gas rig trucks, service workers, and everything else that comes along with it. From the window of my room I could see 3 active drilling rigs in the distance. I realize I could have a good paying job here within several hours, but would prefer to work one of the local taco stands than sell my soul for the prosperity of Bush/Cheney."

Jeeezzzzz

IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #34 - Sep 30th, 2008, 10:32pm

[/quote]

For being such a nice mild-mannered guy he certainly does have some "issues" ...

"This area of Texas has oil and gas, lots of it (depleting rapidly). And thanks to the Bush/Cheney Govt. all proposed energy based projects that are applied for, go through without opposition. The last few years it's been like a 'burn down the house to stay warm for one night' type approach to harvest the gas and leftover oil here, these guys have no idea what they're doing, besides a get rich quick scheme. So this area is simply exploding around the clock/ 24/7 of Oil and Gas rig trucks, service workers, and everything else that comes along with it. From the window of my room I could see 3 active drilling rigs in the distance. I realize I could have a good paying job here within several hours, but would prefer to work one of the local taco stands than sell my soul for the prosperity of Bush/Cheney."

Jeeezzzzz [/quote]

This is getting a little "political," which I usually avoid, but I can't let this one pass.  This guy simply has no idea what he's talking about.
1.  There's lots of gas in the area (it's the largest gas field in Texas), but NO oil - nada, zero, zip, NOTHING!
2.  In the US, unlike almost any other country, mineral rights are owned by private citizens, not the government.  No one has to apply for anything with "Bush/Cheney."  He must be assuming US oil and gas law is the same as Canada's.  If Bush/Cheney are benefitting from the drilling in this area it will be because they own stock in Chesapeake, XTO, Devon or whoever else is active in the area.  Of course, any of you can do that too.  However, look at what's been happening to oil and gas stocks the last few months and you'll see they're not doing so hot either.
3.  Nobody's "burning the house down" by sucking down the reserves faster than they should.  Most Barnett shale wells are drilled one well per 40 or 80 acres (horizontal wells may be one per 120 acres).  It is extremely rare that a well is affected by an offsetting well.  Most people think the Barnett will get down to 20 acre spacing and still rarely compete with the wells around it for reserves.  Many, maybe most, of these wells will produce for 20+ years.  I'm not completely up on the economics for Barnett wells, but I suspect payout on a company's investment takes 3-5 years per well, not including paying overhead (my salary), etc.  Hardly a "get rich quick" scheme.  The only people getting rich quick are the folks fortunate enough to own mineral rights, for which they're getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $25,000/acre bonus and 25% of the production from the well, for which they contribute nothing financially.  I say, good for them.  Many of them are small farmers/ranchers and it's about time they got a break!  And "Bush/Cheney" nor anyone else can force them to make a deal with any of the gas companies if they don't want to.
4.  All those truckers, service workers, etc, do this because they make darn good money.  Any body wanna guess why the North Texas economy seems to be doing OK relative to much of the rest of the nation?  If this guy wants to work minimum wage at a Taco stand instead of more than double that as an entry level worker on a rig or some other job, well, I guess each to his own.  How does he know he isn't selling his soul to whoever owns the Taco stand??

Sorry for the rant, but as someone employed in the energy industry for 30+ years (except for the couple of years there was no work to be had) I get tired of all the misinformation floating around out there.

Now the most important part:  CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL YOU FOLKS WHO PARTICIPATED IN THE TTT!  Everyone did a great job and I'm really jealous I can't get to that level.  Great pics and write-ups.  Y'all did recumbency proud!
Robert

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 9:01am by robert.j »  

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #35 - Oct 1st, 2008, 8:37am

Whoa, let's not turn this into a political discussion. The guy is a Canadian. Let's just recognize that there are lots of people in other countries who don't like our government right now, and leave it at that.

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 8:59am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #36 - Oct 1st, 2008, 8:51am

Interesting comment by Dan Driscoll on the toughness of this course:

"The Texas 24-Hour Time Trials was originally slated to be a RAAM Qualifier, until we figured out that no one was able to get the required 425 miles to qualify in 24 hours on this course. This year's male solo was won by Larry Nelson with 345 miles..."

Even John Schlitter only knocked out 400 miles in 24 hours back in '06...

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 8:51am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #37 - Oct 1st, 2008, 9:22am

interesting.  I'd think RAO would be a much toughter RAAM qual than the TTTT, but I'm obviously wrong.  I'm still going to attempt the RAAM qual.  at Sebring this spring.  Hopefully I can get the weight down and the fitness level up a bit.  

Anyone else wanna go and try it?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #38 - Oct 1st, 2008, 9:36am

I hesitate to ask... when's Sebring, and where?   undecided

Bud_Bent

Reply #39 - Oct 1st, 2008, 11:37am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Oct 1st, 2008, 9:36am:
I hesitate to ask... when's Sebring, and where? undecided

It's in Florida in February. You can find more info here.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #40 - Oct 1st, 2008, 12:23pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Oct 1st, 2008, 8:37am:
Whoa, let's not turn this into a political discussion. The guy is a Canadian. Let's just recognize that there are lots of people in other countries who don't like our government right now, and leave it at that.

Exactly. Besides ,he kick all of are arses.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #41 - Oct 1st, 2008, 12:28pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Oct 1st, 2008, 11:37am:

It's in Florida in February. You can find more info here.

Valentines Day! That can't be right. Hm anything near there worth checking out or going to to tie a sebring visit into?
Half a lifetime ago I had a first date with a certain hurricane sl rider I know on valentines day so some year a trip might work out.

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 12:28pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #42 - Oct 1st, 2008, 12:31pm

Quote from Strada177 on Oct 1st, 2008, 12:23pm:
Besides ,he kick all of are arses.

"are arses...."   ye be talkin' like a pirate, matey!!!!   Cheesy

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #43 - Oct 1st, 2008, 12:51pm

I'm not saying I'll actually make it, you understand, but it'd be fun trying,.....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #44 - Oct 1st, 2008, 1:21pm

For our chating enjoyment I started a Sebring thread in the "upcoming Rides" section here:

Sebring thread

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print