Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stress Test (Read 2400 times)
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Stress Test
Nov 5th, 2008, 12:04pm

I took a stress Test Today. I passed but the doctor said doing the Hotter n' Hell  was just to hot and strenuous for a man my age.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Stress Test
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2008, 2:01pm

The doctor was probably jealous of your impressive physical condition.   Most Docs I've seen wouldn't make it up a flight of stairs.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2008, 2:07pm

Speaking of flights of stairs.. My first cardiologist banned me from using the stairs or walking more then a block and unfortunately I was young and my parents agreed. Mind you 2 weeks prior I was participating in Hell week for varsity football after coming back from wrestling camp and a good year in Judo competition. Oy some doctors just haven't a clue I really don't think he could have walked up a stair least of all a flight of em.

So don't be afraid to get a second opinion if the poor Doc wasn't kidding. Just watch out the problem I have now is my Doctors want me to get more cardio and think I'm a big slacker. I need to find a doctor that is easier to impress  Grin

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2008, 2:27pm

Last time I took a stress test, the Doctor said I needed to start getting some exercise.  
Maybe he was right I was only averaging 50 miles a week on the bike.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2008, 5:40pm

The last few times I visited my Dr., The Lab Rat Keeper, he kept referring to me as "his athlete". Hey I'm in decent shape but I'm a far piece away from being an "athlete", but compared to most of his patients I guess I am an athlete. It's all in what you are used to.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2008, 6:40pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Nov 5th, 2008, 12:04pm:
I took a stress Test Today. I passed but the doctor said doing the Hotter n' Hell  was just to hot and strenuous for a man my age.

What did he suggest you do instead?

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2008, 7:08pm

Quote:

I was afraid to ask.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2008, 7:16pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Nov 5th, 2008, 7:08pm:
Quote:

I was afraid to ask.

John , look at it this way...the stress test results could have been much worse. Docs,Schmocks....Greg's correct , most of these bozo's are more out of shape/overweight than the patients they treat.  

Glad to hear you were pro-active in getting a stress test & that there's nothing seriously wrong.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2008, 8:22pm

Not exactly pro-active.
The doctor wrote out the slip a year ago and I didn't go.
This time he wrote out the slip then he called the heart doctor who also called me.

I know a guy who rode these 200 mile a day rides across the country. Just before starting one he had a Stress Test.
The same day he had bypass surgery.  So you never know.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2008, 10:52am

Quote from jcsadowski on Nov 5th, 2008, 8:22pm:
Not exactly pro-active.
The doctor wrote out the slip a year ago and I didn't go.
This time he wrote out the slip then he called the heart doctor who also called me.

I know a guy who rode these 200 mile a day rides across the country. Just before starting one he had a Stress Test.  The same day he had bypass surgery.  So you never know.

I agree with you guys.   Doctors are welcome advisers.  The advise they give for legal reasons is usually based on the worse case diagnosis/prognosis.  If they say "Have at It" and you drop dead at HnH your surviving family might sue them.   So they tell you to sit on your butt on the couch or a lawn chair.  My butt preferrs to sit on a lawn-chair that is attached to a metal frame with wheels and pedals.   Smiley  

What exactly are the issues with your heart?   Irregular beat?  value issues? Blockage? What parameters are they talking about?   (no need to answer these rhetorical questions ) What have other people done to remain active who have similar issues with their heart?

Maybe all you need to do is something like getting redundant heart monitor watches and set the alarms on them to keep you below a certain BPM range.   Then be careful and get off and walk your bike whenever if you feel heated or you dont like a steep hill.  Plus maybe the other stuff like eating/drinking lots of electrolytes and keeping a proper blood-sugar level.   Or maybe get one of those mini O2 tanks to keep in your fast-back to use when you feel winded.    This will all cost extra $$$ but I would rather spend it bicycling then spend it at the doctor.   You will need to do your own research and make your own decisions, Im just looking to encourage you.

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2008, 10:58am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2008, 11:28am

According to my cousin who is a research internist (dual doctorates in Bio Med & Internal Medicine) stress test by themselves are mainly good for one thing "making cardiologist wealthy"  other than that they are of little to no diagnostic value.  You can have silent heart attacks for years that will never show on a stress test.  If you are actually concerned about heart health either 1) A full body MRI or 2) A Thoracic CT scan is the only viable diagnostic tools to start with. Once you have one of these an Echo Stress is okay for 5 years then another of the above.  

When I had my CT the doctor came back and ask me how many times I had pneumonia the scarring showed up on my lung tissue.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2008, 2:06pm

I only took the Stress test because my doctor wanted me to.
Beside medicare paid for it.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2008, 7:09pm

I've had marginally high blood pressure for  a while (140/90), so my doc had me do a stress test last month to see how my BP reacted to exertion...  apparently after 11-12 minutes it was about 220/??, so he stopped the test and suggested I re-start on BP meds (~200/?? is more "acceptably normal")...  So, I'm on 10 mg of somethingorother, and am retaking the treadmill test next month...  but it's apparently a "calcium channel blocker" that doesn't have the side effect of reducing one's physical exertion abilities that other types of meds do, like beta blockers that restrict the max heart rate...

John S., did you get any further explanation from the doc as to why he said what he said?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2008, 7:37pm

I didn't press.  I could tell he was sure of himself.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2008, 7:40pm

I can confirm from years of experience beta blockers absolutely without question are the worst thing in the world unless you want to just sit and rot. So anyone who is offered them make sure your doctor knows you exercise and they may let you try something else.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print