Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:24pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
TTTT (Read 7919 times)
Rawhide

rbent member

TTTT
Sep 27th, 2008, 12:32pm

A brief update on our RBENT members.  As of Friday at 3PM everyone was looking good and riding well.  All were ahead of respective schedules of completion.  If you don't ride in events like this, it is so worth just going down to help support the riders and the event itself.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: TTTT
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2008, 3:36pm

I had intentions of going to help out not ride but could find no one from this area to catch a ride. I had no transportation, we have only one car and the wife had it at work. oh well maybe next time I can find someone who'll help me out ! Wish I'd been there undecided

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2008, 11:17pm

Reclining Flyers II 500-mile relay results:

It's late Saturday night and I'm kinda bleary-eyed from lack of sleep, but...  the RFII Team Goal of beating 24:00:00 hours was MADE!!!!!  

We were not the fastest team there, thanks to four ringers from Austin that were slumming, but I won't go there -- suffice it to say that after the first four laps we knew there would be no use chasing them .   Roll Eyes

But back to the IMPORTANT stuff:   Here are the (unofficial results, per our notebook) lap-by-lap rider orders and times, and then a table of individual rider results:

LAP          RIDER       LAP TIME
1      Paul      51:50      
2      Greg      55:56      
3      Brad      55:14      
4      Mark      54:40      
5      Paul      52:40      
6      Greg      57:34      
7      Brad      54:45      
8      Mark      54:50      
9      Paul      53:46      
10      Greg      61:56      
11      Brad      53:43      
12      Mark      57:02      
13      Paul      52:53      
14      Greg      58:42      
15      Mark      59:46      
16      Brad      57:07      Dual Lap
17      Brad      58:25      Dual Lap
18      Mark      62:25      
19      Greg      62:52      
20      Paul      54:59      Dual Lap
21      Paul      56:22      Dual Lap
22      Greg      66:56      
23      Brad      60:46      
24      Mark      63:00      
25      Paul      54:07

LAP                                    
           Avg                      1      2      3      4      5      6      7
Paul      53:48      51:50      52:40      53:46      52:53      54:59      56:22     54:07
Greg      60:32      55:56      57:34      61:56      58:42      62:52      66:56      
Brad      56:40      55:14      54:45      53:43      57:07      58:25      60:46      
Mark      58:43      54:40      54:50      57:02      59:46      62:25      63:00      

Let's just say it was a heck of an effort.  We knew towards the end that it would be VERY close trying to beat 24 hours, because tired was setting in, we were losing the time cushion we had built up earlier, and it was dark, damp, and cold.  But Mark finished the next to last lap at 5:02 in the morning, giving me 58 minutes on the clock to beat the 6:00 AM deadline, and I somehow popped a 54:07 last lap, to cross the finish line as the 12-hour time trial riders were gathering at the start line. New recumbent team record of 23:56:52, over an hour and a half faster than last year's similarly record-breaking performance of 25:30:00.  

And I'll just say that the XStream was "berry, berry, good to me....."    Cheesy

Thanks for another hard, enjoyable run, boyz (and wives and other crew, and the Mixed Bag O' Nutz and everybody...)  So there are the numbers, and good night!!!

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008, 11:36pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2008, 11:31pm

IM TIRED

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2008, 9:50am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 27th, 2008, 11:17pm:
Reclining Flyers II 500-mile relay results:

Let's just say it was a heck of an effort.  We knew towards the end that it would be VERY close trying to beat 24 hours, because tired was setting in, we were losing the time cushion we had built up earlier, and it was dark, damp, and cold.  But Mark finished the next to last lap at 5:02 in the morning, giving me 58 minutes on the clock to beat the 6:00 AM deadline, and I somehow popped a 54:07 last lap, to cross the finish line as the 12-hour time trial riders were gathering at the start line. New recumbent team record of 23:56:52, over an hour and a half faster than last year's similarly record-breaking performance of 25:30:00.  

And I'll just say that the XStream was "berry, berry, good to me....."    Cheesy

Thanks for another hard, enjoyable run, boyz (and wives and other crew, and the Mixed Bag O' Nutz and everybody...)  So there are the numbers, and good night!!!

I would just like to add that Paul was flat out amazing and that I am amazingly sore

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2008, 10:30am

Quote from mleuck on Sep 28th, 2008, 9:50am:
I would just like to add that Paul was flat out amazing and that I am amazingly sore

With those results RANS should give Paul a big discount or a special TT edition of that machine.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2008, 2:09pm

Yup, Paul was the hero of the day, and Mark and Brad were outstanding as well.  I'm sorry I was the slouch this year and you guys had to carry me the whole way, but at least we achieved our team goal!

I think *every* bent rider there, including those from outside of rbent, achieved a great milestone somehow.  There were 11 bents total if I remember correctly.  Kudos especially for Bud, Peggy, Ray, and Steve for their amazing effort and beating the existing mixed record by HOURS, only to get screwed just like the rest of us  Wink.  But still, Outstanding effort and achievemtn for bentdom.  I'm going to try and do a little write-up for BROL tonight, and will post it here for addition and editing and we can send it off to brol together.  

If we work hard and can each do *50* minutes or under next year we can break the new record and complete in 20.8 hours.  Whatdya say?   Grin

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2008, 2:36pm

Congratulations to the Reclining Flyers-II. You guys were flying around the course. Very impressive times & it was great to have you as "tent neighbors".

Thank you all for your encouragement & support. Huge thanks to rbenters Mark Hastings & DJ Boyd for volunteering/support. We(the riders) really appreciate it(more than you'll know).

Upon typing this ride report ,there's just so much that occurred prior to/during the event that for the Nutz team, if I forget a detail or two ,forgive me. First of, God bless Nelson Ralls & family. You were in all of thoughts/prayers(besides being a class guy,you're a better human being).

Secondly ,how can our team thank Bud & Rose Baker? We can't. But I hope you know that we are so grateful for your sacrifices & efforts over the past few days. Bud agreed to be an alternate on our team a few days before the event due to a family emergency to our team captain. I don't know of many riders that could step in & ride their butt-off on such short notice.  

Most impressively ,Bud is 9 months from lung surgery ,5 months removed from chemo & a few months from Thyroid surgery. You might be nuts ,but I know you're a tough nut & should be an inspiration to us all. "Good Job".  

My other teammates Peggy(my lovely wife) & Ray Torrey(my very good friend) ,were simply amazing & I was so proud of all 3 of them.  The chemistry between all of us is something that just can't be forced. It's either there or it's not. We have it. It was a very fun weekend.

Our team laps were as follows:

lap time                                  avg speed                                  
lap #1                                 58.00                                     20.5 mph
lap #2                                1hr-2mins                                19.3 mph
lap #3                                1hr-4mins

Our team time for the 500 miles was 27 hours-41 minutes.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2008, 3:24pm

Sorry ,operator error. To continue...

lap time                             Avg speed

lap#4               1hr-7mins                          18.0 mph
lap#5               1hr-2mins                          19.3 mph
lap#6               1hr-7mins                          18.0 mph
lap#7               1hr-7mins                          18.0 mph
lap#8               1hr-7mins                          18.0 mph
lap#9               1 hr 7mins                         18.0 mph
lap#10             1 hr-7mins                         18.0 mph
lap#11             1 hr-7mins                         18.0 mph
lap#12             1hr- 9mins                         17.6 mph
lap#13             1hr-4mins                          18.7 m[h
lap#14             1hr-11mins                        17.3 mph
lap#15             1hr-7 mins                         18.0 mph
lap#16             1hr-13 mins                       17.0 mph
lap#17             1hr-2 mins                         19.5 mph
lap#18             1hr-5mins                          18.5 mph
lap#19             1 hr-8 mins                        17.8 mph
lap#20             1 hr-15 mins                      16.8 mph
lap#21             1 hr-3 mins                        19.0 mph
lap#22             1 hr 3 mins                        19.0 mph
lap#23             1 hr-7 mins                        18.0 mph
lap#24             1hr-13 mins                       16.5 mph
lap#25             1hr-3 mins                         19.0 mph

Our team goal was to complete the 500 miles in less than 28 hours. Mission accomplished. The course record for a mixed team was 31 hours. JOB WELL DONE by Mixed bag of Nutz!

We had no mechanicals/flats ,etc...we were very fortunate. To all that read these posts ,please don't forget to support retailers such as Plano Cycle & Fitness. Without them ,this event becomes extremely difficult(trust me ,this course is plenty challenging. For those that have ridden the Tour de Goatneck , this 20 mile loop is located near Cleburne State Park & the lime plant ,only the time trial course go the opposite direction.

I can't forget to mention Terry Pickl & good job.  

For those of you thinking about this event ,it is truly amazing to see the caliber of riders participating in this event. There were riders from Canada ,England ,California ,Oregon ,Missouri ,Illinois Texas(of course) and several other states in between. To watch the solo 500 mile riders is an incredible sight. And Dan Driscoll & team put on a great event & there are many divisions to compete in. Do it. You won't regret it. The website is: http://www.tt24tt.com/.

The Mens' solo 500 winner(Dallas Morris) from Calgary ,Canada was a great guy & obviously an amazing rider(especially since it was snowing in Calgary when he left on Wednesday ,& it's 90 degrees Thursday/Friday/Saturday in Cleburne...& he never seen/ridden the course before.  

I'll stop now. Congratulations again to Flying Recliners & Mixed Nuts.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2008, 3:41pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 28th, 2008, 2:09pm:
Yup, Paul was the hero of the day, and Mark and Brad were outstanding as well.  I'm sorry I was the slouch this year and you guys had to carry me the whole way, but at least we achieved our team goal!

I think *every* bent rider there, including those from outside of rbent, achieved a great milestone somehow.  There were 11 bents total if I remember correctly.  Kudos especially for Bud, Peggy, Ray, and Steve for their amazing effort and beating the existing mixed record by HOURS, only to get screwed just like the rest of us  Wink.  But still, Outstanding effort and achievemtn for bentdom.  I'm going to try and do a little write-up for BROL tonight, and will post it here for addition and editing and we can send it off to brol together.  

If we work hard and can each do *50* minutes or under next year we can break the new record and complete in 20.8 hours.  Whatdya say?   Grin

Greg is being modest, he did a hell of a job like the rest of us and as a bonus left a nice gift near the RBent tents  Smiley

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2008, 4:03pm

Congrats to the Reclining Flyers II: Greg, Mark, Paul, and Brad. Doing 500 miles on that course in less than 24 hours is a great achievement for four local riders, even if they didn't get the overall record they sought. Paul is truly a beast on the X-Stream. Good job, Grumpus!

Ray, Steve, and Peggy are great teammates, and I thank them for their support and encouragement, and having me on the team. As for me personally, I guess this was a good test to let me know where I stand. With smart bike riding, I had managed a personal best at the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred, but with these hills in a no-drafting event, there's just no faking it, and I was 31 minutes slower than last year, doing the same six twenty mile laps. Part of it was missing lung tissue, no doubt, but part was also lack of hill training, I suspect. It has been such a monumental feat to drag myself up hills this year, that I just haven't sought them out as much as I did last year. I have recovered further than I thought I would this year though, so I won't complain.

Volunteer DJ seemed to be everywhere helping everyone again this year. Thanks, DJ (but you really need to be riding this event next year, instead of me).

And here are the holders of the TTTT 500 mile mixed recumbent team course record: The Mixed Bag O' Nutz, Ray, Steve, Peggy, and me.

EDIT: Moved my post from between Steve's two posts to here.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2021, 4:48pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2008, 5:13pm

Now that I've slept a little (and went out for the GDB fall picnic ride this morning, featuring excessive hill climbing  Tongue ), I can try to expand beyond just lap numbers...

*  Sincere thanks again to Plano Cycing, Performance at Walnut Hill, and Thingy's -- the nutritional stuff did wonders to both prevent leg cramps and keep energy levels up!!!  But right now I don't want to even SMELL Gatorade or Gu for a week or so...   Wink

*  Thanks again to everybody involved, for keeping it a "family picnic" type atmosphere.  Knowing that if you needed something and you didn't have it, that somebody else did and would help you out, is a very comforting feeling, and reduces a lot of potential worry and stress.  Thanks to those who got stuff donated or brought "community" stuff, whether it was the overheads, food, supplies, or whatever.  If I had to name three necessary things at a competition like this, it's 1) food, 2) water, and 3) SHADE...

*  Oh, yeah, and someplace to lie down after a 20-mile sprint...  or several... Roll Eyes

*  Amazing efforts all around, on the RFII team...  
           >> Even though Greg wasn't quite up to last year's standards for himself, he kept putting it out there, even at one point having to stop and upchuck by the Lime Plant for a few minutes...  This wouldn't be the classically recommended technique, but, hey, if it gets you around the course...   Wink    
          >>Mark, I had no idea if you had the endurance for an effort this concentrated, but you came through very nicely!!  He even went out once for a fast lap about 10 minutes after waking up, due to a "schedule interpretation error."   Cheesy
          >> Brad thoroughly lived up to expectations on the VKII, despite being a "novice" 'bentrider -- his mid-50s times helped to both give us the time cushion we eventually needed, and kept the pressure on me to go faster...   Wink   And wife Beth was an excellent timekeeper, for someone who doesn't do math!  Smiley
          >>  I did OK...    Cool  and I was glad Terrie was able to come down on Friday afternoon and pitch in with everything, and "force" me to get some sleep here and there...  I was pleasantly surprised by both my lap times and my consistency once again...
          >>  And thank the Fates or what/whoever's responsible for having another "Mechanical-Free Ride"!!!

*  Seeing the MBO'N gang working together and enjoying themselves definitely added to the fun, especially with Dexter's competing mixed foursome stationed right next door to us!

*  Having Sandy and Lindsay as part of the overall gang (although non-bent) was good, too.  Sandy hammered out 360 miles, and Lindsay 160, most of the last 60 with bleeding saddle sores (obviously not riding a recumbent!!!!) due to ill-fitting shorts...  But an admirable effort on both parts!  C'mon back next year!

*  I'm not quite sure WHAT to say about Terry Pickl, other than I'm proud of him for putting in the effort to do 100 miles on a very tough course, and fighting though various and sundry mechanical issues, and SERIOUS mental block  Wink about downhill speed....  Going down Goatneck Hill at 15 mph is just WRONG, my friend....  but I'm sure the overall experience is something he'll never forget!

*  The XStream is quite the steed -- Thanks again, RANS!  Yeah, the "engine" has something to do with it, I suppose, but being able to climb the toughest hills this course throws at you at 15-16 mph is a big key to success, a lot of which I attribute to the bike...   Not a SINGLE rider passed me at any time during any of my laps.  Granted, this was obviously due to convenient timing, since the AT&T boyz were throwing down sub-50 laps, but I also passed one of them at least once on the backside of the course.  In addition, I noticed that, whatever time had elapsed when I got to the Retreat (~15.5 mi point), I was at the finish line 10 minutes later -- which means averaging ~28 mph through the last fourth of the course -- talk about a "recumbent friendly" section!!   Cheesy

*  The youngster  Wink from Canada who won the 500 mile solo race (in 27 hours!!!) was a BEAST, himself -- I encountered him several times during the night, and chased him down and passed him every time on the back side of the course, thinking, "This is a 500 MILE rider going this fast???"  Sure enough, it was him, because at the awards dinner, we happened to sit across from each other, and while talking about the race, he mentioned "...this one recumbent rider would pass me EVERY time, ringing his bike bell!!!"  I just smiled, and said, "That was ME...   Cheesy "

Enough...  I'll have my photos up in a few days, but here's an RBENT shot for now (Without Brad, who wasn't back yet at the site at the time -- he had gone to the hotel -- SORRY!).  Good times...

Oh, and "Who's Number 1?", Ray???   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2008, 5:38pm

????  I still have my bike......what else did I leave, other than my common sense? Smiley

Quote from mleuck on Sep 28th, 2008, 3:41pm:
Quote from aikigreg on Sep 28th, 2008, 2:09pm:

Greg is being modest, he did a hell of a job like the rest of us and as a bonus left a nice gift near the RBent tents  Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2008, 5:41pm

Hey Steve, where's the picture of my thingy?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2008, 6:23pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 28th, 2008, 5:41pm:
Hey Steve, where's the picture of my thingy?  

What picture? What happens in Cleburne ,Texas...stays in Cleburne ,Texas. Besides,in/any X-rated pictures were deleted.
That's how I roll.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print