Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
TTTT (Read 7960 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: TTTT
Reply #15 - Sep 28th, 2008, 8:04pm

My pictures are up at  

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii97/markleuck/Texas%20Time%20Trials%202008/

if I have someone's name wrong let me know, I kinda forgot the name of the lady with the blue hair (Pam?)

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #16 - Sep 28th, 2008, 10:19pm

My pic set is at    

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/flyinglazboy/TTTT%202008/

I don't have any shots from the awards stuff.

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2008, 10:21pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2008, 11:09pm

Great job you guys, wish I had been there .Those pictures make it look like I'm there anyway.  
 Thomas

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Sep 29th, 2008, 11:58am

I sent Randy the same (above) description of the RFII team's ride and results, and my thoughts on the XS performance -- got this email back:

<<<Excellent! I am just totally proud of you, the other guys, and the beta testing results. I will look forward to your call. As we put this bike into production, I am having thoughts about how to keep the wins rolling, and love to hear what you may have to say. Our objective was to build a racer that attracted the racing crowd, maybe we are getting close to that objective...>>>

Just as an aside, it's interesting to see the time results of the single-lap competition, and realize that I could have possibly placed 3rd or 4th in it....  Huh

9 Simmons Scott               0:50:13
5 Delany Gustav (Todd)     0:51:53
24 Pond Matt                     0:53:15
1 Alvarado Jorge               0:55:54

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2008, 12:08pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #19 - Sep 29th, 2008, 7:56pm

More stories....

*  The guy from Mexico I met in the registration line, who had a hip replacement a year ago, who was very interested in the recumbent concept, and kept asking questions in very broken English...  He was attempting his first (I think) solo 500 miler, in the 48 hour division, that started 6PM Thursday...  I knew he was struggling with it along the way, and he and his wife were sitting there eating pancakes at 8AM on Saturday in the church hall, and I asked him "Are you done?  Finished?  No mas?"  He shook his head, and held up six fingers... and went back out onto the course, intending to finish six more laps.  I saw him again at about 2:45, coming in for a break -- his wife had put ice cubes into plastic baggies, and he was taking his shoes and socks off, putting his feet down onto the bags of ice, letting out an audible "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............"  His lap times at this point were an hour and a half, and he had two laps to go...  I saw him come across the line again at about 4:20, and shouted "UNA MAS!!!" and he shouted the same thing back...   At about 5:25, I saw his wife sitting near the finish line, and stopped to talk with her a bit -- at this time in the competition, the 20-mile time trialers had been riding the course, so he had obviously had riders zipping past him during his last lap, so I figured he would be in a lot faster than an hour and a half -- sure enough, suddenly there he was coming up the last section, and his wife uttered a cry of disbelief -- I think he did the last lap in about an hour and ten...

*  Terry Pickl and his mechanical meltdowns...  With all the trouble Terry has had with his bikes, was it any surprise that it reared its head again? Somewhere during his third (second?) lap, apparently his rear brake slipped out of alignment, and was rubbing the tire sidewall every time he used it -- which eventually blew the tire, and Terry was out of the race.  I know his riding partner wasn't very happy about this, and various people somehow found a new tire Saturday morning, and we assisted Terry in getting his machine going.  It probably took over an hour for Terry to finally get the bike functional again, but he was back in bidness.  His partner came in, and we gave him the good news -- because it had taken his partner about TWO HOURS to finish that previous lap.  And together, somehow they banged out 280 miles...

*  The lime and gas/oil trucks were much friendlier this year -- I think it was because Dan D. had people giving them food....   Cheesy  Hey, whatever works....

*  The guy from Wisconsin (?) who I met before it all started, who said he hadn't done a practice lap, but didn't think it would be too difficult, because "these hills aren't so bad..."   he dropped out on Friday from heat exhaustion after 200 miles, realizing the error of his ways.   However, he went back out on Saturday, and knocked out an additional 100 miles!!!

*  LSR guy Bryan Gibbon from Waco, who was riding his Corsa in the 12 hour, after having it for only three weeks and about 40 miles, converting from a DF.  He just kept cruising slowly past, lap after lap, and I never saw his head move once.  I happened to be at the finish line when he came in at the end, and I went over and grabbed his bike to stabilize it for him.  He could barely move his neck, and when he tried to get off the bike, his thigh immediately cramped up...  so my timing was good, to be there to help.  He knocked out 160 miles!!!!

*  Bud Baker trying to defect to the "Dr. Fart" team, by acclamation...  "Good job!"   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2008, 8:02pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #20 - Sep 29th, 2008, 8:13pm

Let's not forget Terry's new nickname:  Dinty moore Man!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Sep 29th, 2008, 10:26pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 29th, 2008, 8:13pm:

I never asked Terry if he kissed and made up with his riding partner, looks like they sat together at the awards dinner all smiley

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Sep 29th, 2008, 10:40pm

They have a partial unofficial list of finishing times posted at the TTT web site, funny thing is we were in awe of Dallas Morris and his amazing 500 mile time however little did we know he barely beat a guy named Larry Idle by 24 seconds and Larry was in the 50 to 59 age group

It also looks like they have a link at the time trials website for pictures to purchase if any of you are interested, it doesn't look like they are offering my favorite which is of course picture mugs

go to  http://www.tt24tt.com/

There is a link near the bottom to go to Celebrated Images then click on the left EVENTS button

http://www.celebratedimages.com/events.php

So far I found several RBent people lineup pictures on page 4

Paul and his RANS are the last several pics on page 6

Greg on the RANS 1st pic on page 7

None with Brad on his VK2 however he might be somewhere mixed in with the DF pictures during his 6 hour

None of me tho, morons! What are they afraid of?????  Angry

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Sep 29th, 2008, 10:54pm

So far the unofficial times from the Time Trials web site shows

Bedell/Brown/Gross/Leuck - 23 hours 56 minutes, average speed of 20.89

Manly Bulge - 29 hours 08 minutes, average speed of 17.16

Bag o' Nuts - 27 hours 42 minutes, average speed of 18.05

Dr Fart - 27 hours 38 minutes, average speed of 18.09

http://www.tt24tt.com/orderpdf.pdf

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #24 - Sep 29th, 2008, 11:05pm

While looking for some information on the 500 winner, Dallas Morris, I happened to find his BLOG, and read his report on his trip...  

At one point, he writes:

"My 36 Hour time limit event started in darkness at 6am Friday morning, apparently there were a couple heavy hitter RAAM dudes, but of course I have no idea who they are. Our event starts with an 8 mile Neutral/ drafting allowed leadout by team car. I thought 'Neutral', sweet, maybe talk a bit and meet some people/. Nope. People attack. ASAP. And I mean ATTACK!. I can't tell who's Team and who's Solo so I go with it... I work into 2nd position with a bent guy chasing me...,"

So, I left the following comment on his blog, to be read by his Alberta cycling pals:

<<Hey, there, Dallas... you left something out, my friend... the fact that the "bent guy" caught and passed you with two miles to go on that first lap, and again several times during the night!!! Ding, Ding, brother!!! >>

Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Cool
If you want to read his entire report, and get a Canadian view of Cleburne, it's at:  http://dalrock.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2008, 11:16pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #25 - Sep 29th, 2008, 11:15pm

Quote from mleuck on Sep 29th, 2008, 10:40pm:

It also looks like they have a link at the time trials website for pictures to purchase if any of you are interested, it doesn't look like they are offering my favorite which is of course picture mugs.

The photographer didn't even show UP until after we were finished riding, Mark....   Angry

mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #26 - Sep 30th, 2008, 12:01am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 29th, 2008, 11:15pm:
Quote from mleuck on Sep 29th, 2008, 10:40pm:

It also looks like they have a link at the time trials website for pictures to purchase if any of you are interested, it doesn't look like they are offering my favorite which is of course picture mugs.

The photographer didn't even show UP until after we were finished riding, Mark....   Angry

Hardly an excuse, they should have known I was there, granted I would have not given autographs but I would have allowed a few pictures....

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #27 - Sep 30th, 2008, 6:02am

*LOL* at the both of ya.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Sep 30th, 2008, 9:42am

Quote from mleuck on Sep 29th, 2008, 10:26pm:

I never asked Terry if he kissed and made up with his riding partner, looks like they sat together at the awards dinner all smiley

Hey anyone can get grumpy when you ride hard with no sleep.  Even the usually the usual happy-paul was showing some rando-grumpus-idous

My partner never fussed at me.  Did he ever say anything to you guys?  He seemed to get really introverted as the event wore on.   I think you where assuming he was angry.  I could tell he was a little irritated that I wasn't more serious about the ride.   He advertised on the Texas section of bikeforms.net for a riding partner so that he could get off the bike once and awhile.  And that is the service I provided.  

At the Awards Banquet he beamed about how much fun he had.  Our team goal was 300 miles.  We did one lap short at 280 miles which as YALL know was squarely my fault. Due to equipment issues (My diuble flat).   I was the one who convinced my partner to pedal 24hrs rather then 12hrs he wanted to do.  I wanted to get a true ultra-cycling experience with some latenight 24hr riding.   Afterward my partner talked about how much enjoyed the challenge.   And

In the never ending quest for more comedy I became the Dinty moore man.  I was fixing my lame Baron on top of a small sand pile.  I did not know some poor lady puked right in front of RBENT central and someone covered her bio' with a few scoops of sand.    I could here laughter and conversation about puking.  No one said anthing to poor ole' pickl.  Then a lady came up to apologize for puking.  Then I put it all together and said "Is that Pile of Sand the Puke?"  Yes! the response came with much laughter.

This was a response post.  Give me a few days to type up a thankyou post to everyone.

Terry

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008, 9:54am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #29 - Sep 30th, 2008, 9:55am

After careful thought Greg you are trying to deflect away from yourself!  Greg You are the Dinty Moore man!    Huh  undecided  It takes serious skill to puke on a lower racer at high speed and still complete your lap segment on time!

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008, 5:43pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print