Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 8:25am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 197926 times)
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #375 - Oct 3rd, 2015, 10:05pm

Welcome..  Hope to see you out on our monthly ride.  

I have to agree with you .. properly seated hybrid bearings make a huge difference ...  

Quote from TadpolePilot on Oct 3rd, 2015, 7:54pm:
Bud, Thanks for letting me join the group.
I am Tadpole Pilot and I ride a Catrike Speed CS 1103 Orange in color and New in 2011.
I am 74 years old; Can't hear, walk with a walker but ride;  My Recumbent like a Bat going to a feast after a long nights sleep!
Just installed Ceramic hybird bearings in the two front 16" wheels  and in the bottom bracket.
Ceramics are going to help me keep up: I hope. ;D ;D ;D
Paid $128 for the parts. Labor was $78.00  so spent $ 208.00.
I can tell the difference.
The pros who install hybirds on their race bike do know so I just followed them down the path! [smiley=cheers.gif] [smiley=cheers.gif]
If any one wants any information I will be happy to supply details.
Rolling along till the end of the road
steve
TadpolePilot@outlook.com
210 852 3134[font=Sans-Serif]

[/font]

Email   IP Logged
X-Wing

Reply #376 - May 31st, 2016, 4:46pm

Phantomrider from BentRider suggested this forum to me. New to recumbents. Bought a KMX Typhoon a few weeks ago. Since I started riding it the wife has been on the Triton we have. We've been doing slow circles around the neighborhood in the evenings. She's wanting to go faster so I'm working at getting a used 2008 Catrike Expedition for either her or an upgrade for me. I usually ride down to Walnut Creek Park and ride it on the weekends.

2016 KMX Typhoon and a 2008 Catrike Expedition
Email WWW   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #377 - May 31st, 2016, 7:45pm

Good to see you on here, welcome to the other side of cycling.

Quote from X-Wing on May 31st, 2016, 4:46pm:
Phantomrider from BentRider suggested this forum to me. New to recumbents. Bought a KMX Typhoon a few weeks ago. Since I started riding it the wife has been on the Triton we have. We've been doing slow circles around the neighborhood in the evenings. She's wanting to go faster so I'm working at getting a used 2008 Catrike Expedition for either her or an upgrade for me. I usually ride down to Walnut Creek Park and ride it on the weekends.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #378 - May 31st, 2016, 7:52pm

Quote from X-Wing on May 31st, 2016, 4:46pm:

Welcome, X-Wing!  The Expedition is a fine choice.  Happy miles to you both.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Celticherself

rbent member

Reply #379 - Sep 22nd, 2016, 9:22am

Hi, my name is Vicki. I just bought a new Catrike from John's Trikes and Bikes in Lancaster Texas. I brought it home Saturday; haven't had time to ride it yet. I still work a rigid 40 hour a week schedule and won't be retiring until at least December 2018.  

I'm searching for a Saturday morning ride with other recumbent or Trike riders. I'll ride early morning. Can't ride weekdays because this late in September it appears too dark in the mornings to ride and still get to work on time.

I've read that White Rock Lake is no longer the place for Trikes on Saturdays due to the dogs and "walking parties." On my road bike I did find ways to avoid the most crowded part of the trail by avoiding the south and west side of the lake. I'm talking about Saturdays and Sundays.
1) Can anyone recommend a good parking spot where there aren't so many car thefts?  
2) Does anyone use the White Rock Trail that runs North of Northwest Hwy? How far North do you ride?  

On my road bike I started near Medical City and rode south to to the Bathhouse or Winfrey Point, then turn around and ride back to my car. Does anyone NOT recommend that trail now? My average speed on a road bike was never more than 13 mph, I never really improved. I hope to add to the length of my rides now. Overheating/heat exhaustion has always been a problem, so evening rides in hot weather are impossible.

Are there any new women riders out there? Any new riders who work 40 hours a week? The weather just now TODAY feels cool enough for me to ride. I plan to ride early on Saturdays and when it's cool I'll also ride Sundays after church.

Thanks to the moderators and to the creator of this site for their time and effort running this service.
Vicki

2016 Catrike Trail
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #380 - Sep 22nd, 2016, 4:30pm

Quote from Celticherself on Sep 22nd, 2016, 9:22am:
Hi, my name is Vicki. I just bought a new Catrike from John's Trikes and Bikes in Lancaster Texas. I brought it home Saturday; haven't had time to ride it yet. I still work a rigid 40 hour a week schedule and won't be retiring until at least December 2018.

I'm searching for a Saturday morning ride with other recumbent or Trike riders. I'll ride early morning. Can't ride weekdays because this late in September it appears too dark in the mornings to ride and still get to work on time.

I've read that White Rock Lake is no longer the place for Trikes on Saturdays due to the dogs and "walking parties." On my road bike I did find ways to avoid the most crowded part of the trail by avoiding the south and west side of the lake. I'm talking about Saturdays and Sundays.
1) Can anyone recommend a good parking spot where there aren't so many car thefts?
2) Does anyone use the White Rock Trail that runs North of Northwest Hwy? How far North do you ride?

On my road bike I started near Medical City and rode south to to the Bathhouse or Winfrey Point, then turn around and ride back to my car. Does anyone NOT recommend that trail now? My average speed on a road bike was never more than 13 mph, I never really improved. I hope to add to the length of my rides now. Overheating/heat exhaustion has always been a problem, so evening rides in hot weather are impossible.

Are there any new women riders out there? Any new riders who work 40 hours a week? The weather just now TODAY feels cool enough for me to ride. I plan to ride early on Saturdays and when it's cool I'll also ride Sundays after church.

Thanks to the moderators and to the creator of this site for their time and effort running this service.
Vicki

Hello, Vicki. Welcome to the Forum.

One of the first opportunities to ride with other trike riders on a weekend will be this Saturday (Sep. 24) at the monthly Richardson Bike Mart Recumbent Ride. Roll out is at 8:30 AM from the Campbell Rd. Store. Most riders will be doing 20 miles. The rest stop and turnaround is at a Starbucks on Renner Rd. The 20-mile ride is led by an RBM employee and is no drop.

John's Trikes and Bikes conducts Saturday rides, according to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/johnsbicycleshopllc/. Patti can furnish more details.

I personally prefer to ride my trike, rather than one of my bikes at White Rock Lake on weekends, because of their excellent brakes and maneuverability. A blast from the Air-Zound horn (https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn-colors/dp/B000ACAMJC) I purchased from John's Trikes and Bike aids in clearing pedestrian congestion ahead. Haven't ridden early on Saturday mornings at WRL in a long time. When I used to, the main problem was congestion, due to running events. There can be congestion on Sunday afternoons, but haven't run across much for the last several months. Haven't had any problems with dogs, other than owners sometimes having them on too long a leash.

I and our Clown riding group always park at the Sunset Bay parking lot. The presence of circling vehicles, riders and park visitors pretty much discourages vehicle break-ins.

Some members of our Clown group ride the White Rock Creek Trail twice a week (unless it's muddy) all the way to it's end. I've ridden my trike to its end on a few Sunday afternoons for a change of pace. Kind of a rough ride on a trike in places, due to poor pavement conditions.    

Email   IP Logged
Celticherself

rbent member

Reply #381 - Oct 8th, 2016, 11:56am

Thank you jayg for your reply. I've got to get a hitch with rack. I just discovered my Catrike Trail wont' fit in the back of my Kia Soul without folding first. Smiley It is just too heavy for me to fold up and lift every time I want to take it somewhere.  I've been riding my own neighborhood because of this.

When I do get a set up or hitch and rack I will get out on White Rock Trail again.  Smiley

RBM takes Recumbents and Trikes one Saturday a month, right? Which Saturday? The third or fourth?  

Thanks again for your reply jayg.  

Vicki

2016 Catrike Trail
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #382 - Oct 8th, 2016, 1:15pm

Quote from Celticherself on Oct 8th, 2016, 11:56am:
Thank you jayg for your reply. I've got to get a hitch with rack. I just discovered my Catrike Trail wont' fit in the back of my Kia Soul without folding first. Smiley It is just too heavy for me to fold up and lift every time I want to take it somewhere.  I've been riding my own neighborhood because of this.

When I do get a set up or hitch and rack I will get out on White Rock Trail again.  Smiley

RBM takes Recumbents and Trikes one Saturday a month, right? Which Saturday? The third or fourth?

Vicki

This month's RBM recumbent ride takes place on the 29th. All the rides take place on the last Saturday of each month. There are no rides from November through February. Ride roll-out time is 8:30 AM.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2016, 4:58pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #383 - Oct 8th, 2016, 11:57pm

what neighborhood?    There are a lot of PBA and GDB rides that accept trikes; you might be able to ride to one.

Quote from Celticherself on Oct 8th, 2016, 11:56am:

Vicki

Email   IP Logged
bkdraft

rbent member

Reply #384 - Nov 2nd, 2016, 11:17am

Howdy. Not new to rbent as I was here back before the forum, maybe 03-04 time frame. I have been riding recumbents since around 02. First bike was Sun EZ-1, them moved to Vision R-42, 03 Catrike Speed, Catrike Silver Cat Prototype, 05 Catrike Speed, 06 Catrike 700. Then hit burn out, and rode very little for few years. Sold the 700 and bought a Canondale Easy Rider and got back to riding again couple of years ago. The Canondale is VERY slow, but good excersise. Wanted something faster so recently bought a Bacchetta CA2. Yup, now have one of the slowest recumbents and one of the fastest. Looking through the list of names I recongnized lots from the past, some still around some driffted away. Anyway, glad to be back!

Sun EZ-1
Vision R-42
03 Catrike Speed
Catrike Silver Cat Prototype
05 Catrike Speed
06 Catrike 700
Cannondale Easy Rider (current)
Bacchetta CA2 (current)
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #385 - Nov 2nd, 2016, 12:22pm

Quote from bkdraft on Nov 2nd, 2016, 11:17am:
Howdy. Not new to rbent as I was here back before the forum, maybe 03-04 time frame. I have been riding recumbents since around 02. First bike was Sun EZ-1, them moved to Vision R-42, 03 Catrike Speed, Catrike Silver Cat Prototype, 05 Catrike Speed, 06 Catrike 700. Then hit burn out, and rode very little for few years. Sold the 700 and bought a Canondale Easy Rider and got back to riding again couple of years ago. The Canondale is VERY slow, but good excersise. Wanted something faster so recently bought a Bacchetta CA2. Yup, now have one of the slowest recumbents and one of the fastest. Looking through the list of names I recongnized lots from the past, some still around some driffted away. Anyway, glad to be back!

Welcome back. Some of the members of the original RBENT group, including its founder (Bob W), ride with our Clown group at White Rock Lake in Dallas.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #386 - Nov 13th, 2016, 4:23pm

A note for those looking to ride with groups -- John's has two groups riding from the shop on Saturdays, one at 14-16 mph, and a 2nd at a MUCH more casual, no drop pace.  If you don't mind the drive south, check 'em out.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #387 - Nov 13th, 2016, 10:42pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 13th, 2016, 4:23pm:
A note for those looking to ride with groups -- John's has two groups riding from the shop on Saturdays, one at 14-16 mph, and a 2nd at a MUCH more casual, no drop pace.  If you don't mind the drive south, check 'em out.

Paul,
At church today, Dennis of GDB introduced himself and invited me to the Poteet ride, after having heard that I ride.  I told him that that is a very well known ride and that I knew you.  Took him backstage for a tour of the trike.  Perhaps I should venture to the high school when I'm not doing all these miles, later.  What's the character of the ride?  Average speed?   Smiley

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #388 - Nov 15th, 2016, 12:00pm

Quote from Action Lad on Nov 13th, 2016, 10:42pm:

Paul,
At church today, Dennis of GDB introduced himself and invited me to the Poteet ride, after having heard that I ride.  I told him that that is a very well known ride and that I knew you.  Took him backstage for a tour of the trike.  Perhaps I should venture to the high school when I'm not doing all these miles, later.  What's the character of the ride?  Average speed?   Smiley

Dennis Gentry?  Nice...

Poteet ride is about 32-35 miles, and the "main" group tends to roll at 20 mph.  I took Doug's 700 on it when I borrowed it, and it was a challenge to keep up -- but I was new on the trike -- you probably would be fine, being acclimated to the 700, and Daniel Schaaf doesn't have any issues, either, I don't think.

During the April - October timeframe, the ride rolls at 5:30 pm.  During winter, they ride on Saturdays.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #389 - Nov 18th, 2016, 10:15pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 15th, 2016, 12:00pm:
Quote from Action Lad on Nov 13th, 2016, 10:42pm:

Paul,

Dennis Gentry?  Nice...
Poteet ride is about 32-35 miles, and the "main" group tends to roll at 20 mph.   I took Doug's 700 on it when I borrowed it, and it was a challenge to keep up -- but I was new on the trike -- you probably would be fine, being acclimated to the 700, and Daniel Schaaf doesn't have any issues, either, I don't think.

During the April - October timeframe, the ride rolls at 5:30 pm.  During winter, they ride on Saturdays.

Paul
Thanks.  By myself, I tend to "roll" or cruise between 18- and 22 mph over 30 miles with occasional hills that don't go over 6, or 7 percent.  Machine avg. in the mid to high 17s mph.  In a group it could be a bit quicker as folks are moving the air out of the way.  I'm also at my fastest when I don't have motorons to worry about, as when riding in a group.  When riding alone, if I go fast, they don't leave because of the entertainment value.  As the "Preacher," (Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider) said, "A man (riding) alone is easy prey."  Very true.

I'm encouraged to give it a try.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 
Send Topic Print