Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 2:14pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Garmin 305 Mapping (may work for 705 as well) (Read 607 times)
barlows

Wanna-be

Garmin 305 Mapping (may work for 705 as well)
Jul 11th, 2008, 1:08am

Folks, Richard asked for some guidance on downloading course maps to his Garmin 305.  I figured I'd put it over here in case anyone else needed it too.  Bear in mind that these are the steps I use, so may or may not be the best or quickest.  I'd love to hear anyone else's shortcuts or other sites that they prefer.

First off, grab your cue sheet for the ride.  I haven't figured out how to grab a course file directly from texaspermanents.org or bikely, so I have to start from scratch.  It doesn't really take that long though.

Once I've got my cue sheet handy, I go to mapmyride.com and begin mapping.  Important NOTE: They have recently done a site upgrade, and the Firefox browser works MUCH faster with this site than any other browser I have tried.  I have a few of the local permanents mapped and in my public routes there, so you may want to check and see before doing any mapping.  My public routes are here: http://www.mapmyride.com/user/424287595/barlows.  There's one there for the upcoming Beanstalk Metric Century if you want to grab it.

Once you have the route mapped, save it to your Profile, or if someone else has it mapped, just follow the link to theirs and open it up.  Then, go to SAVE, and select Save to Garmin/CRS.  This will give you a panel on the bottom left of your screen titled "Exporting your Route".  Follow the link for "Garmin Course File".  You'll get some new options there, and they mostly pertain to the little pacer guy that the unit can put on your map while you ride.  I have that disabled, so I just leave whatever they have there.  Change the file type from tcx to crs and click the link for "Download Course File".  NOTE:  I think the very latest versions of Garmin Training Center may support the tcx type of file too, but I'm still using the crs type.

Once you've saved the course file on your machine, fire up the Garmin Training Center Application.  Then click on the Courses button.  This will bring up your list of courses (currently empty).  Next, select File->Import->Courses.  It will open a dialog box and allow you to select the file you just grabbed from MapMyRide.  Click OK and it will show up in your list of courses.  Then select File->Send To Device and it should now show up in your list of courses on the 305.

To bring up the route to ride it, on the 305, go to Training->Courses.  Then go to the one you want and select Do Course.  And you're off to the races.  Don't forget to hit the start button so you can still get all the same stats you're used to when you ride without the course file.

Steve

Email stevejbarlow   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Re: Garmin 305 Mapping (may work for 705 as well)
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008, 10:08pm

Steve,
Thanks for the great instructions.  I downloaded the Beanstalk course.
Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print