Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 8:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Serendipity, found on the side of the road. (Read 893 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Serendipity, found on the side of the road.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:32pm

Well I had reached a stumbling block in trying to rehab the old Fusion crank forward frame for my wife and I to ride, in that it has a weird stem size/style. Most of the stems I can find were for either 1" threaded, or 1 1/8" unthreaded, and the Fusion takes a stem for 1 1/8" threaded. So I was walking down this alley and I see a wedge nut from a bike stem sitting there, about 18 months ago. I didn't need any wedge nuts, but I'm a sucker for abandoned bike parts so I picked it up and put it in my pocket and put it on the dresser with other small parts I found on the roads. Today I checked it against a chunk of 1" tubing and it didn't fit, so I had a flash and tried it in the Fusion and voila, I have a wedge nut to build a 1 1/8" extended threaded stem. Now all I need is a really long bolt to fit the nut, and something to use as a handlebar clamp.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Serendipity, found on the side of the road.
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2008, 6:09pm

OK today I went shopping for allthread and/or a bolt to fit the stem I'm building for the Fusion, and ended up paying $7 for 3 feet of 8mm*1.25 allthread and a nut to fit, as nobody had a 12"-18" bolt anywhere near that price. Bad part, I'll have to cut and weld to get the bolt I need. Good news is I can have any length bolt I need up to 3 feet. I don't think I'll need 3 feet of stem, but it's nice to know I can build it if I have to. Grin

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2008, 9:08pm

Does anybody know how long the stem on the original Fusion (with the 20" front wheel) is?

Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008, 8:34am

Opus, just call Kim at RANS, or ask for Carl...   they can probably look it up.  I talked about the bike with them when we were up there.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print