Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 11:16pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
2006 RANS V-Rex XL (Read 11103 times)
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

2006 RANS V-Rex XL
May 25th, 2008, 11:18pm

Hi, folks.  Now that I’ve bonded with my Ti Aero, I’ve decided to offer my V-Rex for sale.  

It is a 2006 model purchased from the Hostel Shoppe, XL frame size.  It is in excellent condition, with right at 1000 miles on the frame, but only about 50 miles on the wheels and tires, due to the fact that I rode it most of the time with another wheel/tire setup.

As many of you know, the 2006 model of the V-Rex is  higher-spec than the current version.  This one is stock for that year, with the additions of a Cateye wireless computer, a RANS Memory-Lock, and 2 seat-mounted bottle cages.  I also have the good-size RANS Streamline Tailpack bag available, in yellow.

The XL frame is 2” longer than the standard size, which results in a wide range of  riders who can be accomodated.  According to the RANS website, it fits an X-seam range of 37 to 50 inches.  For comparison, I have a 45” X-seam, and the seat is close to the middle of the track, with lots of fore and aft adjustment available.  This setup also leaves lots of room behind the seat for a rack, bag, etc., even if you like to ride pretty reclined.

This bike originally sold for $1800 and is still in excellent condition.  The new (lower-spec) models sell for $1350, plus tax and/or shipping.  I’m offering mine for $1300, which is less than new, but with better components.  I’ll also throw in the RANS bag for an additional $75 (new ones are $110).

I’m posting here on Rbent first, in the hopes that I don’t have to ship it.  For local buyers (north Texas area), I’ll deliver it to your location free of charge.  

Thanks for looking,

Steve
swyant@verizon.net

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: 2006 RANS V-Rex XL
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2008, 6:47am

Steve what IS the higher spec exactly?  What kind of seat does it have?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2008, 9:27am

Hi, Greg.  Good question!  I'm off to the airport, so I don't have time to fully research the differences, but off the top of my head, I know that the 2008 model has an X5 rear derailleur, and mine is an X9.  I'm not sure what the other differences are, but RANS says something on their new V-Rex page about a "spec to lower the price," or something like that.  They did the same thing a year or two ago with the Stratus.  They call the new reduced-price versions their "LE" series.

When I get home in a couple of days, I'll get my V-Rex and compare what it has to the new V-rex page and post the differences.  By the way, for local Rbenters, the price is negotiable.  I guess you could say I'm offering an Rbenter discount!

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2008, 9:28am

Oh, and it has the standard RANS seat, with bottle cages mounted on the seatback.  Thanks.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2008, 2:14pm

I might be extremely interested.  For some reason, I'm stupid fast doing randonneuring on my wife's v-rex.  If I could get one at a reasonable price and lower the weight a bit with some hot rod mods, I might be your buyer.  I am shocked at what a great ride it is.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2008, 12:23am

Wow, Greg, I would love to see you enjoying this bike.  You've helped me out a lot in the past, so I would be happy to give you a deal that I wouldn't give anybody else.  

I'm in a hotel now in Denver, and I don't get home until Wednesday afternoon.  If you'd like to talk about it, you can always call my cellphone at 817-521-5177.  If I don't answer, it's only because I'm out flying.  Just leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as I can.

Just to give you an idea of my schedule, I'll be around home Wednesday evening and all day Thursday.  My wife and I might go on a bike tour over the weekend, but we're not sure yet.  Either way, I would be happy to bring it by your house either on Wednesday or Thursday, or after we get back into town on about Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.  Just let me know!

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2008, 4:25pm

Com'on Greg, come over to the Rans side.  Sure would love to see three V-Rex's in the group.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2008, 5:21pm

Greg, are you independently wealthy and just holding out on us???   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2008, 6:24pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 27th, 2008, 5:21pm:
Greg, are you independently wealthy and just holding out on us???   Cheesy

Nope, I'm a poor-arse teacher who has to wait for his insurance check before he can replace his randonneuring bike, and currently must ride his wife's instead Smiley

So take your time, Steve.  Once you get back give me a shout - I'm off Starting Monday for the remainder of the summer, and I'll check out the bike and hopefully I'll know then if it's the bike for me and might have some insurance cash.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2008, 12:27am

Since Greg decided to go with the Carbent, the V-Rex is still available.  I would rather make somebody local a great deal, to avoid having to ship it.  I'll wait a few more days and then post on BROL.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2008, 10:03pm

Greg has re-stated recently how well the V-Rex is as a climbing machine...  I'm sure this is a nice bike!  Thanks for trying to keep it local, Steve!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2008, 12:14pm

Thanks, Paul.  No takers, yet.  I might try the DFW Craigslist next.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2008, 12:49pm

You might do DFW, Austin & Houston Craigs.  When I sold my WW Tour I had far more calls from Houston than DFW.  I ended up sticking it on ebay and selling it to a guy in Florida after the auction ended, but only because the offer was about $150 better than my Houston offers.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2008, 1:04pm

This is a phenomenal bike, folks - one of the best ever made and needs to stay in the dfw area.  Someone snap it up!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2008, 2:48pm

How about $1200 total, and I'll include the RANS bag for free?

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2008, 3:40pm

I'm in the market for another bike .Hey bent_Eagle , what does your bike looks like?? You have a Picture?

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2008, 4:26pm

I'm in the market for another bike .Hey bent_Eagle , what does your bike looks like?? You have a Picture?  

You would really enjoy this ride. I went from a Thunderbolt to the V-Rex and have been extremely pleased.

IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2008, 12:52am

Quote from power_bent on Jul 26th, 2008, 3:40pm:

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow (Monday) and post.  It is in excellent condition.  Thanks for your interest!

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2008, 8:16am

Hi Bent _Eagle, i appreciate you going thru that trouble to get picture. I look on Rans website and saw what it look like. I have an bike in that similar style. So I'm not interested in that bike. But what I'm looking for is what Paul is riding or I'm looking at Actionbent Midracer.
 Thanks again.
 Thomas J

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2008, 5:07pm

Some pics:

Thanks for looking...

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2008, 5:13pm

beautiful, spotless, fast, and a phenomenal climber.  Someone needs to snap this bike up!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2008, 5:37pm

Thanks, Greg.  You almost have me convinced to keep it!  

Roll Eyes

By the way, folks, did I mention that all of my bikes live inside the house, in a spare bedroom?  Yes, my wife is very understanding of my bike "habit."  (Of course, her road bike lives inside too.)

Smiley

Oh, and here's the Craigslist add I just posted:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/bik/773753062.html

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print