Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 9:14pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tour Dallas (Read 2528 times)
irodguy

rbent member

Tour Dallas
Mar 24th, 2008, 8:37pm

So is anybody else riding tour Dallas?  I am trying to decide on riding my trike or the LWB.  I was thinking that with all the traffic and not being perfectly balanced yet, that the trike makes more sense.

Thoughts?

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Tour Dallas
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2008, 9:06pm

Yes ,Peggy & I are riding tour Dallas. Since it's not hilly ,I would think the trike would be a good choice.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2008, 9:44pm

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  The Tour Dallas looks like it will be a lot of fun!

Vicky and I just signed up.  We will be riding our Anura trikes in tandem.  We don't ride fast (<10mph) so I think we will do the 20 mile ride.  We would love to meet up with other bent riders before and after the ride, and ride with anyone else that wants to take it easy.  

Since this is our first Tour Dallas, I have a few questions.  
- Are there any activities following or proceeding the ride?
- Any interest in a group meal afterwards, either a picnic or meeting somewhere?
- I didn't see anything about a helmet requirement.  Since the trikes are stable, we normally wear ours only when riding in traffic.

Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2008, 9:52pm

Last year they had a band and food after the ride.

All pay rides require helmets - it's a legal liability issue.

Hopefully, the weather will be better this year. It was snowing during the ride last year.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2008, 9:52am

Wear helmets -- especially in group ride and rally situations!!!!  You probably won't fall off the trikes, but somebody might well crash into YOU!!!  Plus, you'll be riding city streets and dealing with cars, both parked and moving.

Riding the Anuras is an excellent idea for Tour Dallas...  Have fun!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2008, 8:30pm

Quote from catroad254 on Mar 26th, 2008, 9:52pm:
Last year they had a band and food after the ride.

All pay rides require helmets - it's a legal liability issue.

Hopefully, the weather will be better this year. It was snowing during the ride last year.

Ken

I plan to be there on my Dawes because I will be arriving via the TRE from Ft.Worth. The first train doesn't get there until 8AM so I will most likely miss the first big take off of bikes, but figure I'll catch up to the rear of the 30 mile ride without too much effort because of the number of riders involved.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2008, 12:35pm

Quote from richardr on Mar 26th, 2008, 9:44pm:
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The Tour Dallas looks like it will be a lot of fun!

Vicky and I just signed up. We will be riding our Anura trikes in tandem. We don't ride fast (<10mph) so I think we will do the 20 mile ride. We would love to meet up with other bent riders before and after the ride, and ride with anyone else that wants to take it easy.

Since this is our first Tour Dallas, I have a few questions.
- Are there any activities following or proceeding the ride?
- Any interest in a group meal afterwards, either a picnic or meeting somewhere?
- I didn't see anything about a helmet requirement. Since the trikes are stable, we normally wear ours only when riding in traffic.

Richard

Sounds like you guys are about my speed.  I will be there on my bright neon green Catrike Expedition.  I am planning on heading for Ft. Worth afterwards to have the picnic with the bent gathering.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2008, 8:59pm

Quote from irodguy on Mar 30th, 2008, 12:35pm:

Sounds like you guys are about my speed.  I will be there on my bright neon green Catrike Expedition.  I am planning on heading for Ft. Worth afterwards to have the picnic with the bent gathering.

We would love to have company!  

We picked up our packets today with a map of the parking at the American Airline Center.    The parking is in the long, thin north-south lots north and west of the center.  I haven't been there, so don't know my way around.  Do you know of a land-mark or somewhere we can meet you?  

If you don't, I suggest the north end of the east parking lot.  This would be close to the finish, but a ways from the start.  We drive a dark blue Mazda5 which is a small mini-van.  We will try to be there at about 7.  Staging starts at 7:30 and it takes about 15 minutes to put the seats on our trikes.

Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2008, 11:49am

I am driving a Silver Scion XB and should be there around 7:30ish.  Cell # 214-293-7558.  See you there.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2008, 9:26pm

As an alternative to the AA center madhouse, you might also consider parking somewhere north along the Katy Trail, and riding down to the start...  The trail starts just south of Mockingbird, and goes about 5 miles.

Paul

Bob McClure

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:23pm

I'd like to avoid the ripoff price for parking at the AA Center, and am interested in riding in on the Katy Trail.  If I did so, where would I park near the trail?

If that's not practical, I suppose I could go to some DART Light Rail Park&Ride spot.  Anybody done or doing that?  I'd have to go bare-bike, no fairing, though.

Grace happens.
Email WWW   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:44pm

Quote from Bob McClure on Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:23pm:
I'd like to avoid the ripoff price for parking at the AA Center, and am interested in riding in on the Katy Trail. If I did so, where would I park near the trail?

If that's not practical, I suppose I could go to some DART Light Rail Park&Ride spot. Anybody done or doing that? I'd have to go bare-bike, no fairing, though.

There are lots of places near the Katy trail.  Probably the easy one is to head south on 75 take Knox exit head west.  Cross the trail and turn left at abbot and then left on one of the streets and park.  The trail will be in front of you.  You could also park over on Mockingbird, but I am not as familiar with where to park.  Personally I will be far to sleepy to deal with the trail in the morning, will probably just pay the $5 to park at AA and call it a day.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2008, 12:50pm

The Katy Trail starts at Airline and Beverly, just south of Mockingbird where the SMU football stadium is.  It's about 5 miles down to AA center.    

PB

jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2008, 2:29pm

Quote from irodguy on Apr 1st, 2008, 11:49am:
I am driving a Silver Scion XB and should be there around 7:30ish. Cell # 214-293-7558. See you there.

C U all there, my TRE rail is scheduled to arrive @ 8:01AM
I put your number in my cell, mine is 817-500-8948,,also the ride number on my t shirt back and front of my brain bucket is 890

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008, 2:32pm by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2008, 2:40pm

Y'all  be sure to show 'em that Recumbent Grin...    Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008, 2:41pm by FlyingLaZBoy »