Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 27th, 2024, 11:23am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loose Bottom Bracket (Read 1287 times)
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Loose Bottom Bracket
Mar 2nd, 2008, 1:55pm

This may seem dumb to you more knowledgeable bike mechanics, but I had an interesting mechanical experience yesterday.  I was about halfway through a 62 mile ride, when I noticed a new creaking sound coming from the area of my pedals/cranks/BB.  It only happened when I was pedaling with a pretty good load on the chain, like when climbing a steep hill.

After watching my rings go around for a while and trying to figure out what the problem was, I noticed that the chain was drifting right and left as I rotated the cranks.  I pulled over to get a better look, and I found that I could wiggle the rings and crank arms side-to-side slightly with just finger pressure.  When I got home, I found that my 8mm wrench fit perfectly into the bolt in the center of the cranks, and that they were pretty loose.  I tightened them down, and the wobble went right away.

It never even ocurred to me that cranks might work themselves loose, but I guess this falls under the old maintenance tip of periodically checking all bolts and nuts on your bike for tightness.  

« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:31pm by bent_eagle »  

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Loose Bottom Bracket
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2008, 2:56pm

Yep, good reminder. There are lots of things that can become loose, and that's one of them. Another, that I never would have thought of on my own, came from the Bacchetta forum. A rider had the main bolt holding his brake on come loose, and it caused a crash and much bike damage when the brake came off. I've added that to my list of stuff to check, too.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2008, 3:49pm

Holy crap, thanks Bud.  I'll go check mine right now!

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2008, 3:55pm

Those cheapie plastic reflectors and other taillight assemblies tend to shake themselves loose, as well...  I had to tighten the holding screw for my bell today -- when I hit it, it turned upside down!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2008, 10:49am

Your so right Paul, my headlight vibrated loose while on the Tour Dallas ride. The streets from White Rock Lake aren't the smoothest in my riding experiences that's for sure. I just caught the light in time as it had already slid upside down and had to carefully reposition it and tighten up as I carefully rode toward the last few turns of the ride.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2008, 1:54pm

Technically those were the crank bolts you tightened up, the bottom bracket is another animal entirely. I should mention that my Bottom Bracket came loose last year and required removal of the crank and tightening.

Notes for crank attachment to the axle, do not use grease or any other lubricant on square tapered cranks, You may need to grease some makes of splined cranks, follow the manufacturer's instructions in that regard.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print