Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:42am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bending handlebar tubes? (Read 572 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Bending handlebar tubes?
Apr 18th, 2008, 1:32pm

I've taken the "Stealth Birthday SXP" out on a couple of rides recently, and noticed a difference in the feel of the grip placement of the "chopper bar" handlebars, feeling like my hands were spread wider than I'm used to on mine.  Comparing the two bikes' handlebars with a tape measure, there actually IS a 1" difference in the spread of the "chopper bar" where the upper adjustable bar ends fit into the main handlebar -- I guess just due to a difference in bend angle of the lower section of the tube.  The inside edges of the grips (where your index finger/thumb is against) are 20" apart, which is still OK for me, but I imagine Terrie would like more like 16-17" apart.

This is aluminum tubing, approximately 1" O.D. -- what might a good way to bend the curve of the bars in a bit more so the grips aren't so wide apart?  Bud's tubing bender?  Opus, you got anything?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Bending handlebar tubes?
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2008, 3:41pm

Just one warning: you can increase the angle of bend on aluminum ONCE without failing the metal. How many times did RANS have to tweak the bars before they were shipped from Hays? Also the bars won't fail all at once if they were already adjusted, the cracks will start microscopic and propagate rapidly as flexing loads are introduced.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print