Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 2:32am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Riding in Texas heat? Giro 26 with Euromesh seat. (Read 4943 times)
richardr

rbent member

Re: Riding in Texas heat? Giro 26 with Euromesh se
Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:35pm

I have a similar question to the one posed at the beginning of this thread.  I am considering the purchase of the Giro 26 as a commuter bike for my daily 20 mile commute.  It appears to be available with either the Euromesh or the Recurve seats (with the mesh back and padded seat).  I'm leaning toward the recurve seat as being the cooler and more comfortable seat for the Texas summers.

I am very interested in anyone who has made the comparison.

Richard Reed

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 2:29am

I used to own a Giro 20 with the Recurve, and my Aero has the Euromesh.  I think that the Recurve is a little cooler, because your back is against the actual mesh.  On the EM, you're lying on a foam pad that is on top of the seat mesh.  I definitely sweat more on the EM, and it takes longer to evaporate.  The pros of the EM, though, are its lighter weight, nicer, more Aero look, and its relative ease in reaching the ground when stopped.  If you want the absolute coolest seatback, and like to sit more upright, get the Recurve.  If you want the lightest weight, lowest seat height, and like to lay back, get the Euromesh.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2008, 9:17am

Richard,
   I'd just make sure you try them both before going one way or the other. The Recurve was painful for me to ride after a couple of blocks because of where the hards bits were.
  My BikeE had a similar seat material as the recurve and as long as I didn't use a seat bag or camelback in the back of the seat it was really cool. In fact when the a/c broke on my pickup I replaced the seatback with the BikeE seatback and it kept me from getting overheated.
   Not sure what you are planning on for carrying any commuter gear. I had ordered a brain bag but may switch to the rack with a trunk bag to give myself a little more space and help not trap heat against my back.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2008, 9:41pm

Thank you for the seat comparison and advise.  Back in Dec I was able to borrow a Giro 26 with a recurve seat from Plano Cycling for a weekend, rode it for 50 miles and really liked it, but with Christmas expenses didn't buy it at the time.  I will go down and ride one of their higher priced Bacchetta models with the Euromesh seat before I buy a Giro 26 with one or the other.  I plan to get a rack and fenders for commuting.

Does anyone know if a front fender is made for the narrow fork of the Giro 26?

Richard

IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #19 - Feb 5th, 2008, 10:45pm

Bacchetta sells fenders for both of the Giro models. Check thier web site.

Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #20 - Feb 7th, 2008, 12:47pm

Quote from catroad254 on Feb 5th, 2008, 10:45pm:
Bacchetta sells fenders for both of the Giro models. Check thier web site.

I saw the web site, but the picture is only of a rear fender and the price is either high for only a rear fender or inexpensive for both front and rear.  In addition, the sales person at Plano Cycling didn't know if front fenders were available.  

Does someone have a SWB Bachetta with a large front wheel that has a front fender?

Yesterday I went down to Plano Cycling and rode a Bachetta Corsa with a Euromesh seat and a Giro 20 with a recurve seat.  I feel more comfortable on the recurve seat.  I like the way the seat back wraps around my shoulders instead of just going down the middle of my back.  Since for me, comfort is more important than speed, I plan to go with the recurve seat.

Richard

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #21 - Feb 7th, 2008, 2:42pm

When Plano ordered my Giro 26 oh so long ago  cry still waiting for it  Sad maybe early march.
I ordered fenders and didn't give any thought to there being only one    
It does say fender set on the giro accessory page. They look just like planet bike fenders I have which are $39 for a set. Bacchetta is charging $45 so it was within what a pair would run.  
Edit: If I don't get fenders when I pick it up (if that ever happens Roll Eyes) I'll probably run it by REI since they are the only local place I know with multiple fenders in stock. A review I read did say it had provisions to mount fenders so a standard size might fit even if it took a little sanding to the fender.

I will tell you in discussing with plano bicycle fenders/bags and the possibility of a rack they basically just gave me a blank stare  Huh  

It is good you got to try both seats before deciding. For me I went Euromesh because while the recurve wraps around your shoulders it jabs right into mine. Unless the large has a larger recurve perhaps? They only seemed to have mediums when I went for a test ride.

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2008, 2:47pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #22 - Feb 7th, 2008, 2:49pm

Ha the blank stare,  as far as racks go I think Baccehetta has a rear for the Giro 26, but on my Corsa I've mounted up one of the Terracycle under seat racks, and I'm very impressed, made it possible to commute to work with the laptop.  I just modified a set of planet bike fenders for the Corsa.  They're just ziptied on but I've had no issues, and easy to take off, put back on.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

rack for Giro 26
Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2008, 9:34pm

I have a 2007 giro 26. I ordered it with a rack ($40.00).  Because of the BB-7 disc brakes, it is very difficult, but not impossable, to mount the Bachetta rack on a giro 26.    I got it on but it took two weeks of messing around.
Johns

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print