Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 2:04am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Riding in Texas heat? Giro 26 with Euromesh seat. (Read 4942 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Riding in Texas heat? Giro 26 with Euromesh seat.
Jan 31st, 2008, 3:46pm

Someone at bikeforums pointed me over here when I asked about this there so maybe y'all can help.

Basically is riding a bent with a euromesh seat for an hour and a half or so in hot weather something to completely avoid or it is better/worse then a diamondframe(upright?)?  

I need to carry at a minimum clean bib/jersey(or equivelent bent riding clothing) for the ride home, shirt/pants/... for work, cell. They ordered a brainbag for me but didn't have really any bags so I am not sure it'll fit. Right now winter clothes are a tight fit in my supposed 1,480 cubic inches bag.

Currently I commute 42 miles round trip 3-5 days a week from Double Oak to Irving. Mostly on an Old Merlin Road or a Fuji Touring Xtracycle. I ordered a Giro 26 with fenders and such a few months ago and it is still "yet to be built" because I need a large and sometime in february is when they start making larges (as of december anyhow). Buying it mostly for perhaps lower HR, ease on joints/tendons and such (I have a connective tissue disorder) and a different workout then an upright.

Years ago I rode a BikeE CT on my commute in nice weather back to commute in connecticut but when it was hot the seat back bag caused heat rash. The bag insulated my back and trapped all the heat between it and my back like I was sitting on leather or something.
Now I have to deal with TX heat though, been here going on 4 years now. I was riding last year on my Fuji 20 miles or so roundtrip and even in the hottest part of the day it was ok. I got one of those bandanas with the gel that absorbs water and it really helped out but with my back covered I'm really not sure.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Re: Riding in Texas heat? Giro 26 with Euromesh se
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2008, 7:25pm

Giro 20
I ride a large size Giro 20 with a mesh seat back and I don't personally have any issues on2 or 3 hour rides.  Some time on longer rides I get real hot, but I don't notice it on my back.  I also have a home built bike with a mesh seat and I seem to get along real well on it.  100 plus days I try to ride early or after 5:00 P. M..  I have problems with pre skin cancers caused by the high sun.
Tom

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2008, 7:41pm

I see you made it - welcome!

It's hard to bike on anything in the heat, and there will definitely be some sweating.  I imagine it will be worse than a df since your back is pressed against something.  Youi mentioned it causing a rash - have you thought it might be the kind of shirts you wore or the laundry detergent or soap you use?  Do you wear breatheable clothing?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2008, 8:21pm

Wicking thin shirt. Never worn twice without washing. Always washed in detergent free of all dyes/perfumes. Soap is the same way.  
The problem seemed to only cause heat rash and I used my radicaldesign seat bag which basically locked in all the heat and sweat to my back.
Here is a pic of a similar bag (just a newer model I think) on another bike from their site.

It has a foam backing to keep it rigid so it really provides some nice insulation  cry

Since I'm getting the euromesh seat hopefully that will allow some heat to escape?  
IIRC and from what I see on pics it looks like it has a solid back with an inch or so of foam on top so a seat bag shouldn't hurt. I mostly got the euromesh because the regular seat was just the right width/height to dig into my shoulder blades.  Sad Tried the strada I think with the euromesh and it felt great.  

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2008, 8:21pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2008, 10:42pm

I ride a hardshell with a closed cell foam pad (really old school RANS) and I hardly ever have a problem as long as I use a wicking shirt, take breaks, and don't wear the same jersey two days in a row without washing. I did try wearing a T-shirt a couple of times and that didn't do so good.

But then again, I'm not like other people. I ride 56 miles each way just to have lunch with a friend.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2008, 1:22am

Here's your answer. A ventisit seat pad. Both my my wife & I have one on our Stradas. Not only are they very comfortable,but a lot less sweaty than the euromesh pad.

http://www.ventisit.nl/start.php?page=1&lang=2

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2008, 8:05am

I agree with Steve (aka the infamous "Strada 177" for his IQ).  I live in Flower Mound and ride a bent (Bacchetta Aero), with a carbon seat and Ventisit pad.  While there is absolutely no airflow through the cabon seat, the Ventisit pad is much better than the standard foam pad.  

Quite a few of us bent riders participate in ultra events, often in the 10 plus hour range.   Personally, I think it's a matter of adaption.   I also have several DF bikes, and IMHO neither style makes it easier to ride in the summer heat.  

I'll be on my Aero tomorrow morning in the Flower Mound, Double Oak, Argyle area in case you're out riding. Keep tuned to this forum as there are a lot of formal and informal rides posted here.    

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2008, 10:05am

I'll chime in for the Ventisit pad as well, noticably cooler than the stock euromesh pad, I wore my stock pad out in a year and half, but I suspect the Ventisit will many times outlast that.

Wish I had a Euromesh 2 seat though, as  I have very short legs and I hear that it helps that alot.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2008, 10:36am

I wonder if my 08 giro 26 will get a euromesh II or if they aren't ready yet and I'll get a euromesh I.  
Thanks for the info on the pad that ventish pad sure looks to have more airflow. Does it have enough support for a heavier rider? (200+) I wrote the company and will see what they have to say but wondered if anyone here might  have an idea if I might pancake it or not.

I'll probably be out tommorow trying to get my fuji back running well to possibly ride down with the west end sunday superbowl ride.http://www.greaterdallasbicyclists.com/specialevents/westend.html
Here is the fuji you can't miss it   Wink

My road bike is back in the shop because of an old tapped in bearing bottom bracket with no retainer device problem. Bluebonnet is going to talk to merlin about it and possibly epoxy the races in so it stops sliding out to the right. My bikeE died a cracked seat broken chain stay death so until I get the Giro I'm down to the utility bike.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2008, 10:37am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2008, 11:04am

Riding a bent in the Texas heat means sweat no matter what you do. I sweat in moderate heat. How that affects your back is probably a function of your particular back and skin. I made a bike also and made the seat too. Its the one in the avatar. It was 2" of memory foam over 1/4" abs, and upholstered with a heavy poly fabric. It was noticably hot but my skin did fine. It was also very comfy. Do you have rosacia? I know a person who does and there is a cream that really helps sun and sweat on the skin.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2008, 11:54am

No known rosacia. I do have some pigment problems on my whole torso kinda like this splotchwork pigment no pigment thing going on so maybe that and whatever makes me me means I get heat rash easily.
When I ride on the way home I will have some short breaks at some longer stoplights I hit. I'd hate to stop and walk around since well I am on a commute so I want to enjoy the ride but I gotta make decent time or the wife starts throwing the car keys at me  embarrassed

It is good to know that the giro shouldn't have to sit out the heat completely though so that is good news.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2008, 6:21pm

Quote from bikerteam on Feb 1st, 2008, 8:05am:
I'll be on my Aero tomorrow morning in the Flower Mound, Double Oak, Argyle area in case you're out riding. Keep tuned to this forum as there are a lot of formal and informal rides posted here.  

My wife is working a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society tomorrow all day at this Sonic:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=sonic&near=Den ton,+TX&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=image

It's the letter "E" one on the map, at Golden Triangle Mall.  I'm planning to leave home here in Southlake about 11AM and ride up there.  I'm planning to ride over the dam, up 2499 to 407, west to Copper Canyon, north to Teasley, and up to the mall for lunch at about 1:00.  Then, around 1:30 to 2:00, start back down that same route.  Maybe I'll see you?  Twin Ti Aeros would be fun...

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2008, 6:24pm by bent_eagle »  

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 2:53pm

Welcome to the gang, EV...   I'm sure you should be able to arrange to meet up with one of us that has the seatpad style you're considering.

I don't notice sweating too much with the RANS mesh seatback, but that's a different animal.  ON the other hand, riding that far on a commute, you're going to sweat a LITTLE bit, no?

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 4:22pm

Bent_Eagle (Steve W.) - In October you had responded to a post and asked about riding the Grapevine darn.  I had to ride early today, and didn't see your post until now.  Let me know how you like your route.  I've ridden from my home in Flower Mound across the dam without going on 2499.  I then ride through the back part of Grapevine (Dove Loop), through Southlake and onto Keller.  And then as you saw in my previous post, eventually around lake Grapevine.

Please send me a personal e-mail next time you ride in this general vicinity.  I'll be doing a 200k out of Italy next Saturday (2-9), but back riding the home turf after that.

What is your cycling style (avg. speed, distance, etc.)?

A beautiful day to ride today.  I hope everyone had a fun, safe day riding.

Nelson - call me later, I can't wait to hear about your new bike.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:45pm

Quote from bikerteam on Feb 2nd, 2008, 4:22pm:
Bent_Eagle (Steve W.) - In October you had responded to a post and asked about riding the Grapevine darn.  I had to ride early today, and didn't see your post until now.  Let me know how you like your route.  I've ridden from my home in Flower Mound across the dam without going on 2499.  I then ride through the back part of Grapevine (Dove Loop), through Southlake and onto Keller.  And then as you saw in my previous post, eventually around lake Grapevine.

Please send me a personal e-mail next time you ride in this general vicinity.  I'll be doing a 200k out of Italy next Saturday (2-9), but back riding the home turf after that.

What is your cycling style (avg. speed, distance, etc.)?

Hi, bikerteam.  I was running a little late this morning, didn't get out of the house until 11:30.  I rode the route I described, but took a wrong turn and ended up doing an accidental metric century (62 miles).  It should have only been about 55 miles I think.  I'm not very fast, even on my Aero.  I usually pedal along at about 15mph, and my rolling average today was 14.06mph.  That was with quite a few stops and slowdowns for traffic, though.  Distance wise, my favorite rides are about 40 miles.  I like to ride out about 20, eat lunch, and then ride back home.

I would enjoy riding through Flower Mound with someone who knows it better.  My route today had more traffic than I prefer, and a lot of it was on rough shoulders with gravel, with cars whizzing by at over 50mph.  Flower Mound has some very pretty backroads I'm sure, but I needed to get all the way to Denton today, so I took the major routes and kept an "eagle-eye" on my rear view mirror.

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:49pm by bent_eagle »  

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print