Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 11:29pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cyclist memorial in Mesquite (Read 393 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Cyclist memorial in Mesquite
Jan 29th, 2008, 10:11am

While riding in Mesquite on Sunday, I noticed a small marker by the side of Barnes Bridge road, about a mile west of Collins....

I circled back to it, out of curiosity...  

I had no idea who "GG" was, but upon asking some GDB pals, found out that it's for Gary Glickman, who was apparently killed there in 2004 while riding with the Mirage group.  Barnes Bridge used to have a lot of cracks in in, like Lawson does, and Gary apparently hit one wrong, and was thrown into the path of an oncoming truck...

Out of curiosity, I looked into the Google Maps "street view" for that location, and sure enough, you can see the marker by the side of the road by moving the "camera" angle around...

Be careful out there, in group, or solo....  

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2008, 5:32pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Cyclist memorial in Mesquite
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2008, 11:18pm

wild...

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Cyclist memorial in Mesquite
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2008, 1:08pm

A memorial on any of our roadsides is a very sobering visual.  With as many miles as we ride yearly in our group, I have to say we have been very blessed with many safe miles. I ride hwy 157 and Trinity Blvd and Airline Blvd a lot and am always aware that at any time, a careless driver could rain on my parade. I never leave my apt. without wearing my helmet and gloves plus say a little prayer. I beleive recumbents present a better visual on the road than common df's. Just about everywhere I ride, Ithe site of my bent puts a smile on someones face.  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print