Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 18th, 2024, 6:58am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White Rock, Dec 8 (Read 1599 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

White Rock, Dec 8
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:06pm

What a fine mid-December Saturday it was.... windy, but mid-70s... wow.... Nice to see everybody that came out -- Terry and friend, Mark, Dianna, Ed, Charlie, Robert, Lynn, and Joe.   Sorry it was a little disconnected, but we weren't exactly coordinated on our arrival times!

After a casual counterclockwise lap-plus and regrouping at the 7-11, we split into speed groups.  I could tell Charlie and Robert were itching to bump it up a little - Charlie was on his reclaimed Strada, and Robert on his new Corsa.  The three of us wound up playing a bit of cat-and-mouse, or "good cop / bad cop" with some DF riders.  We would cruise along at 20 or so -- If a faster rider would pass us, Charlie would lock onto his back wheel and not let go... as the guy typically attempted to drop him...  and after a couple minutes of this, I would gear up and pass them both, Charlie having burned the guy up...   Grin Cheesy   We did this at LEAST twice...

On our third lap, I took Charlie and Robert up the hill to the top of the dam, for a bit of sightseeing...

We also had an almost-fracas with a drunk at the 7-11, where fortunately cooler heads prevailed -- otherwise there would have been a messed-up Dad and a sad 5 year old, I think...  But I'll let Eddie tell the tale...   Sad

Thanks again, see you at the upcoming dinner!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Re: White Rock, Dec 8
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2007, 12:16am

Sorry Charlie and I got there a little late.  635 had a lane or two closed and we spent about 20 minutes longer than expected negotiating the traffic.  We went a different way back, but it was even worse - road construction and a wreck -but who cares, the ride was fun and worth the trip.  As Paul described, there was a lot of messing with upright's minds going on.  Another stretch into the wind we were holding around 21 and the uprights were dropping off one after the other behind us.  Hope none of them ran over their tongues! Grin  I hadn't really ridden with Paul much.  He's one fast dude!  At one point I was holding at 24.8 for a considerable time and was NOT closing the gap.
Paul and Charlie were the only two of the group I'd ever even met before, so it was nice to make contact with everyone else also.  Thanks, Paul, for putting it all together.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2007, 9:38pm

Oh, i just enjoy the "impetus" of the 2 mile forced car lane on the west side with a 25 mph speed limit...  I think that ice cream truck driver was a bit surprised to see us close up in his mirror!

The thing about White Rock is that you really DO have to be more careful and courteous on the multi-use sections - and should be, natch...  fast riders are greatly outnumbered by walkers/joggers/standers, and it's a popular place!!!

Thanks again for making the trip, Charlie and Robert!   And Joe, was that your first time there?

Richard

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2007, 12:43pm

OK Eddie,

Me being from the west side of Odessa, I must know what the dust up was. Cmon!

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:21pm

richard if you must know
   this guy was mouthing off about us blocking the side walk using profanity so in the store he was still going off so i said to him   THAT  IT IS GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT  that is all he needed to start in it with me and I may have egged it on a little to much   he called me out to take it out side i responed and said I will be out there in just a minute  know this is were I think I may have let go too far I didn't want to involve our group so I apologize to everyone for pushing this guys buttons I should have kept my mouth shut  
so out side this guy really wanted to knock my head off but it turned out he was just having a bad day and we apologized to each other and he got in his car and left he just wished we would be a little more considerate of the side walk at the store and he also wished he could ride a bike like we all do.  

Hope to ride with all you again when I get my used EZ Sport if all goes well  

Eddie   Urbinrider

Easy Racer Tour Easy got to love it
T W Bents Artifis
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:40pm

Eddie,

I can just see the headlines... Recumbent roughians disembowel innocent by stander at Whiterock lake.  Grin Grin  Glad to hear reason prevailed. Age has a way of making us behave. There are just too many ding dongs out there. If we get tweaked every time we encounter one, we will be angry often. I speak from experience. I must admit though, my bit of Irish ancestry did perk up a little.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2008, 10:29am

One often thinks of things after the fact, hindsight being 20:15...   As soon as he said, 'Well, I can't ride a bike like you people can..."   I thought later that I should have immediately asked why not, and offered a seat on the 'bent...  maybe he's got back issues or something else physical that has affected many facets of his life that a 'bent would work for...  Ah, well...  At the time, my thoughts were consumed by being prepared to try to stop him from punching you...

Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2008, 2:12pm

About 10 years ago a couple of bike riders approached me to get a bike and ride with them 30 to 40 miles.   I said no way until my son Scott gave me a mountain bike he had purchased in Japan and He and my daughter bugged me to ride.  I began toride a closed route at Lake Bob Sandlin.  Due to physical problems I had to change seat to an easy seat and I beging to ride40 to 70 miles.  All of the time I was reading about bents.  In the next year I purchased a trek hybrid.  The next year I purchased a Bacchetta Giro 20  from Plano Cycling and Fittness and I am now hooked.   I don't think this is to bad for an old guy starting to ride in his late 60's.
Tom Nuchols

IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2008, 8:15pm

Quote from Eddie on Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:21pm:
...and he also wished he could ride a bike like we all do.

And here we arrive at the crux of the biscuit.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2008, 8:15pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print