Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 18th, 2024, 7:02am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Ride of the Year (Read 1194 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

First Ride of the Year
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:45am

Didn't have time today to do the LSR 200K today, but got up early and went for @3 hours.  I drove up to Prosper to cover some territory I didn't have time to get to from the house.  Started at the Exxon Tiger Mart off of FM289 / Preston in North Prosper.  Hit a lot of the Dirt and Rough roads I've been wanting to look at.  Discovered some were private (Bonnar Rd, oops, snuck through anyway and didn't get shot.)  And one bridge was closed to car traffic, but scrambled over and and around the piles of gravel set to stop other vehicles and walked across what remained.  The ponds, streams, and standing water were frozen over this morning, and only beginning to thaw as I finished up.  With some polishing yet to come I hope to have an interesting rough road route put together and published soon.  Saw 3 very friendly Buffalo, they seemed to think I might be there to feed them I guess.  Too many horses and cows to count, and one BNSF freight train.  Look forward to a social ride again soon with everyone.  Wish I could ride next Sunday, but will be busy.  Let me know the route Steve, I'm scanning all through this area for an ideal route for a paved ride as well.

Take Care,
Nelson.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nelson_ralls/2155331380/

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2008, 12:19pm by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: First Ride of the Year
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2008, 3:43pm

Neslon, congrats on the ride. You are a true Randonneur(unlike me who is a big candya$# when it comes o the cold). Peggy & I just got back from a 15+mile neighborhood ride. It wasn't too bad outside at 3 o'clock.

We'll have to ride together sometime together in/around the Celina area so you can some different routes.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2008, 5:01pm

I did the Happy New Rear ride today. It was 34 at the start and had warmed up to 48 at the finish. It was warmer than last year and was a pleasant ride except for the sections going straight in to the wind. There were 4 recumbent riders including John S. and Richard. The overall turn out was low - according to Mike only half of the pre-registered riders showed up. Steve - I guess you're not the only candya**. Nice quiet route with rolling hills to keep it interesting - just too short at 38 miles. Good cornbread and blackeye peas at the finish.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2008, 7:08pm

I'm definitely looking forward to our next ride together, Great that you got a ride in today and enjoyed the beautiful day!  Mmmm Cornbread, sounds like a good ride Ken, nothing that good on mine I'm afraid, my standard poptart fare I'm afraid.

Tomorrow mornings commute is looking pretty chilly.  Was planning to try out my new rack and laptop pannier for the Corsa, but may fall back to the Tour Easy.  Fairings are very nice.  Also I have flat pedals on the rest of my bikes for winter so I can wear warmer shoes, but need the spd's for the Corsa.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2008, 8:13pm

Good reports, I took my Vision USS out for a S.Euless neighborhood ride and put in almost 14 miles. Over on Midway the Euless police had their portable timer contraption setup and as you rode by it would tell you your speed in the posted 30mph zone. I was in a comfy mid gear front crusing east bound and was clocked at 18 mph. I wasn't trying real hard so I was very happy with the report because on my EZ1 working at it I was clocked at 14 in the same area under similar conditions.
I have been working on getting the chain the correct length so the shifting would be happy at both ends of the spectrum. I'm getting there.
The wind was blowing pretty good from the NW on my second run up Airline drive, it kept trying to pull my brain bucket back on my head! Sure was fun on the return trip though.
Hope everyone had a good day on this first day of 08.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:26pm

Quote from catroad254 on Jan 1st, 2008, 5:01pm:
I did the Happy New Rear ride today. It was 34 at the start and had warmed up to 48 at the finish. It was warmer than last year and was a pleasant ride except for the sections going straight in to the wind. There were 4 recumbent riders including John S. and Richard. The overall turn out was low - according to Mike only half of the pre-registered riders showed up. Steve - I guess you're not the only candya**. Nice quiet route with rolling hills to keep it interesting - just too short at 38 miles. Good cornbread and blackeye peas at the finish.

Ken

Ken,Peggy & I though about it. But $50 to ride 38 miles in the cold didn't make sense to me.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:28pm

I did 2.0 miles yesterday...   Grin

I convinced Terrie to get back onto the EZ1, wrapping her up in extra layers and cold weather gear, and we went out about 3:30...  and as soon as we turned the corner past the house, we ran into that COLD wind, that had been VERY effectively blocked by the house until then.

After a few more minutes of that, she was done, and my plans for a five mile northward jaunt were, too...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:53pm

I hate you...

Grin

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1