Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 8:12am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the next metric size up from a 10-32 bolt? (Read 3515 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

What's the next metric size up from a 10-32 bolt?
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:25pm

I'm trying to install a new dropout to replace the damaged derailler hanger on my Stratus, and I need to know what common metric size bolt will replace the current 10-32 bolts being used to hold the sprint braces and tailbox mount on the back of the bike. I'm trying to find the size of the #10 machine screw, but the only refference I have says it's the same size as a #10 drill, which isn't very useful. My best guess says I should use a 6mm bolt, but I don't have any of those hanging around right now to check, and it's been at least 2 years since I last saw my micrometer to check the screw size.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Re: What's the next metric size up from a 10-32 bo
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2007, 4:24pm

Opus,

Dont' know the answer to your question but I have the drill and tap for the hole the derailleur screws into, if you need it.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007, 8:51pm

Opus
My dial metric caliper show 4.75 mm and my mike shows .191 thousands.   I just purchased some 10-32 screws to mount water bottles this week.  I havenot located my conversion table togive you the correc cponversion.  
Tom

IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:51am

OK from your measurements then the next size up from 10-32, in metric, is a 5mm bolt. Hmm, there is a store here in Garland selling 5mm allen head bolts in stainless steel at a reasonable price, I think I'll hit them this Monday. I also have the correct taps for 5mm in both coarse and fine threads, and it looks like all I'll have to do is just tap the dropout without having to drill it out further.

Thanks.

Opus

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:54am by Opus the Poet »  

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print