Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 9:49am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Parts needed (Read 670 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Parts needed
Oct 17th, 2007, 12:20pm

For all you guys who pay attention to stuff on the curb, I need some parts. Specifically I need some BMX or MTB parts for the folding bent. I'm looking for front and rear hubs that have brakes, and rims. The rims I'm looking for are wider than the 21 mm I have now (27 mm outside to outside) but everything will be cheerfully accepted. The front rim I have now is chrome steel on a freewheel hub. Yes freewheel, this will be a FWD folding 'bent.

I have determined that no commercially available rim brakes will work with the 20"X3" tire on the rims I have because of interference with the sidewall of the tire, and I don't have the facilities to modify aluminum brakes and be sanguine about their reliability. I also don't want to build my own brakes out of steel. It would win me points at the car shows, but not with the police should I get stopped. So I need hub brakes, either disk, roller or coaster brakes, with rims that have the same number of holes.

Again I'm not asking for anybody to go buy anything, just watch for BMX or mountain bikes on the curb getting thrown away and grab them when you see them. If I have to build my own brakes the old style steel cantilevers with the straddle cable will be especially welcome as a starting point. The already have pad mounts and pivots so all I would need to add would be actuating arms to clear the tires to make linear brakes out of them.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Parts needed
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:25am

You guys need some 15mm combo wrenches for pulling those wheels? I'm getting pretty desperate for some wheels or some rims I can lace into the hubs I got. I have wide rims on my Xmas list, but with the way things are going in my house right now I'm not too sanguine about getting anything this year much less a $130 set of bicycle rims. I might get a new pair of bike socks, maybe 2 pair if I'm lucky.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print