Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 10:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bicycling Katy Trail in MO land. (Read 652 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Bicycling Katy Trail in MO land.
Oct 19th, 2007, 9:36am

While searching for info on Katy trail in Dallas. I came across a 220+ mile rails-to-trails project in Missouri also called Katy Trail.  
     http://www.bikekatytrail.com
I want to ride this!  Since this is a railway it will be very level with gentle hills.  It would be possible to ship the bikes to St Louis and fly on Southwest Airlines.  Then pedal to Kansas City and fly SWA from KC back to Dallas.

For shipping we could rent a cube truck.  When I went on the Austin to Ft Worth ride last spring they had a cube truck.  First they put a layer of bikes leaning upright with large sheets of cardboard (from Bicycle's INC) buffered between the bikes.  Once the first layer was complete.  They began to stack the bicycles on top of the first layer.  They said when the ride had a 40+ people they would rent a Greyhound Bus and put the bikes below.  I think this would be a little snug for recumbents.

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Re: Bicycling Katy Trail in MO land.
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2007, 11:06am

The trail is gravel so it would be a fat tire ride. Does sound fun though. My bentech has 1 3/8 tires so it would probably do alright. It would be a slow ride too. There would be lots to see along the trail. Would be a good fall ride. This is something I would definately consider doing.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Bicycling Katy Trail in MO land.
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2007, 11:40am

How about we just go ride the Mineral Wells Rail Trail, instead. It's 40 miles, out and back, and the Weatherford end of it is within a hour drive of my house. It's also a hard-pack trail, requiring wider tires.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2007, 11:43am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print