Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 4:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Stratus is now dual 700c (Read 769 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

The Stratus is now dual 700c
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:27am

Just finished yesterday, computer not hooked up, brakes need tweaking, but I got on the bike and rode it around the block a couple of times yesterday. The new fork drastically reduced the trail from the old 451mm '20" ' wheel and fork (old fork had the same rake as the Pyramid "recumbent" fork I got years ago from Power-On Cycling, which had the same rake as the BMX fork I found on the side of the road a couple of months ago). New trail is only 1.5" +/- which actually makes the big wheel version more agile than the 20" version, as well as almost 2 feet longer. The change in seat height and BB height are almost unnoticeable, I could tell a difference the first time I sat on the bike, but not the second time.

Now I need to finish the folding 'bent, and tear down the Stratus for "restification" The hubs on both wheels need rebuilding, the frame needs derusting and recoating with some kind of protective finish, the tailbox needs repair and re-skinning, almost everything needs new cables, and the seat needs a new cushion/cover. All the casings are good, and the front shifter cable is less than a year old, but the brakes and rear derailler need new cables.

I got a clarification on what my doctor meant by "short ride". It means as long as I don't get tired before I get home, I'm good. If I get out of breath or start getting dizzy, that's not good. Since i still get woozy trying to climb more than one floor of steps, that defines my exertion level as "no hills". That means riding to church and the grocery store (7.3 and 2 miles round trip respectively) and points in between and that's about it. Even a lap around White Rock is out.

Opus

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2007, 11:29am by Opus the Poet »  

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: The Stratus is now dual 700c
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2007, 12:14pm

Can you post a photo of the Stratus before you tear it down? I'd like to see how the bike geometry worked out.

Hopefully, you'll be up for longer rides soon. Hang in there.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2007, 12:31pm

Well, it will be a while until the folding 'bent is done, can't tear down the Stratus until I have a replacement ready to ride. The folding part of the folding 'bent may wait until the Stratus is back so I have someplace sturdy to carry cargo.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2007, 3:12pm

Well, I had my first ride to church today, 7.12 miles total. 2 things I noticed: first was that the bike rides much better now with the big front wheel. Second is that my computer reads much lower now. Before I changed wheels the trip to church was 7.25 miles on the computer with the actual tire rollout entered into the computer, now with the rollout listed for the tire size entered it's only 7.12.  Tongue

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print