Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 3:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel and training... (Read 451 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Fuel and training...
Oct 13th, 2007, 9:50pm

Since the Ohio race, I've been talking with Dennis Grelk about some things.  In my last e-mail, I told him the thing I was most impressed with was that he could enter every single race and win every time, whereas while I did the same thing it was a series of max effort sprints that left me too blown to beat a trike the very last go-round.  Here was what he had to say.  I'm glad that I'm the only one who pushed him at least close to his max!

"If you look at my sprint speeds you'll notice they're the same as my lap race speeds.

My first races were ultra distance events, and that training has stuck with me. Ten years of ultra distance training and you get pretty strong. Last weekend was not max effort, just enough to get out of reach. Closest thing I had to max effort was the trike race, that thing needs a diff.

I use Hammer Nutrition's Heed for fuel during short races and a 50/50 mix of Heed and Sustained energy, Hammer Gels, oatmeal cookies, and Knox blocks for ultras. Recoverite and /or chocolate milk for recovery. Ultra distance events are just eating contests, he who fuels best wins. The key is finding the fuels that you can stand to eat for the duration. If you don't like the taste of your fuel, you'll be less likely to consume the nutrients you should, and you'll get tired. Additionally, too much fuel too fast and you can put yourself in a food coma. It's a three part  equation: ride, fuel yourself, stay conscious. You can do two of the three quickly or all three in moderation, its a fine line. "

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Re: Fuel and training...
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2007, 11:26am

Words to ride by.
John S.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged