Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 4:05pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building a new bike (Read 1481 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Building a new bike
Oct 8th, 2007, 12:36am

I have scrounged enough "stuff" to begin building the folding backpack 'bent. I shall begin actual metal cutting after the new fork is installed on the Stratus, then as soon as the folding 'bent is done tear down the Stratus for a restification, you know to "fix" some of the things the factory didn't get right back in 1983, or that the technology didn't cover way back then. One thing getting changed is moving the shifters to near the top of the "conning tower" to get them clear of my knees while shifting.

On the folding 'bent I have been thinking about making a new cane that would double as the sprint strut for the seat back, so that I would always have a cane ready for walking when I was riding that bike. Thoughts?

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Building a new bike
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2007, 10:05pm

Make the cane hollow, so you can store a couple spare spokes in it   Smiley

I've got my old headset from the SXP, if you want it...  Had 'em put in the King...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2007, 12:00am

The tires for the folding 'bent came yesterday and they're monsters 22" in diameter with 3" of tread shoulder to shoulder. Lots of volume there for a cushy ride  Grin There's no room to package in suspension on this bike, the tires have to be able to soak up the bumps. The tire is so wide at the shoulder that a normal fork won't fit, so I'm having to build a new fork out of a junk 26" MTB fork. The tricky part of this build will be putting brakes on it that don't hit that tire Tongue Lots of fun Cheesy

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2007, 6:33pm

AAAck! More "fun". The drive wheel I was going to use had been "tacoed" in the bike rack at the Garland Library and has 2 dents in the sidewall of the rim, and won't true up anyway. The "next best" rim is chromed steel (but in near perfect condition, one of mine and I keep my stuff in as good a condition as possible). I'm a little leary of using this rim as it is freewheel, and wet weather and rim brakes on steel rims don't work well together.

I really need to get some wider rims, the ones I have now are only 21mm wide inside the beads and they are almost too small. 21mm wide rims, 75mm wide tread, could get a little nervous in hard conering. I had that problem with an earlier Trashbike (1.95" wide tires on a 15mm rim) and that one was nowhere near as extreme as this mismatch.

On another note when did bike shops stop keeping a "junk pile" for cheap repairs?

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2007, 10:21am

Hey Opus,

When I was ~17 in 1970 I built up my first road bike from a set of wheels that my boss gave me. I went to a local bike shop and he had literally a junk room with frames and wheels in piles. The frame pile was at least six feet tall (no exageration). He had every part imaginable  broken down and stored in coffe cans.  I got a frame and most of  the components from him. I did finish that bike and rode it many miles. I painted it white and when the paint was wet coated the entire frame in micro glass beads used on highway striping, then a final clear coat. At night the whole frame glowed- it looked cool.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print