Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 6:42am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GDB Airport Ride, or Singing in the Rain (Read 1090 times)
Bud_Bent

GDB Airport Ride, or Singing in the Rain
Oct 6th, 2007, 3:46pm

It was a fun ride, like the airport ride always is, even though I really don't like riding in the rain. There was great chat and camaraderie with riding friends headed out to the airport, then a rabbit that I just couldn't catch as I blew myself up on the airport loop, then feeling the drizzle start, and watching Paul slip-slide on the wet roads as I dragged my tired self back to the start. Did I mention that I really don't like riding in the rain?

Then, war stories were swapped over a sandwich, while the air conditioner froze my soaked self. Someone remind me to pack a towel and dry shirt next time the weatherman says a 40% chance of rain. I ended up with 54.3 miles at a 17.4 average. It was great riding with you, Paul, Steve, Peggy, and all the GDB folks.

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2007, 3:49pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: GDB Airport Ride, or Singing in the Rain
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2007, 6:36pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Oct 6th, 2007, 3:46pm:
It was a fun ride, like the airport ride always is, even though I really don't like riding in the rain. There was great chat and camaraderie with riding friends headed out to the airport, then a rabbit that I just couldn't catch as I blew myself up on the airport loop, then feeling the drizzle start, and watching Paul slip-slide on the wet roads as I dragged my tired self back to the start. Did I mention that I really don't like riding in the rain?

Then, war stories were swapped over a sandwich, while the air conditioner froze my soaked self. Someone remind me to pack a towel and dry shirt next time the weatherman says a 40% chance of rain. I ended up with 54.3 miles at a 17.4 average. It was great riding with you, Paul, Steve, Peggy, and all the GDB folks.

Yes,it was fun up to the point that it started raining. I always enjoy Paul & Bud's company(and Peggy of course). There were some very nice people on the bike ride. My computer said 54.42 miles-16.8 mpg. I had an 18.0 avg after the airport loop(before the rain).
I eneded up with a 16.8 mph avg.(not bad considereing the wet conditions on the way back).

Paul did a great job of saving the Rans rocket in the mud on the way back,but he wasn't as fortunate the 2nd time(although no apparent harm to the rider or bike). A slide on the butt on the wet roads coming from the airport...the American judge gives you a 9.8,Paul.  

Potbelly was an excellent choice. I just wish I had brought a towel and a change of clothes. This skinny body gets cold easily. Thanks again to Paul for the invitation & keeping us together.  Bud,you looked strong on the airport loop.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2007, 11:47am

Thanks for comin' out...  There was a lotta grit to wash off the bike when I got home, and the seat cushion STILL wasn't dry for Sunday morning's riding, despite the plastic bag over it and a fan blowing on it all night....    

Lesson:  don't go downhill fast in the rain, when a traffic light is ahead...    Minimal damage from my slide, fortunately, both personally and to the bike!!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2007, 3:14pm

Glad to hear no significant damage to the bike or yourself(other than to the ego,maybe). That section of muddy street woke me up & made me pay attention.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2007, 4:36pm

So that's three of us this year who have ground off a bit of our arses.   Maybe we should just see a plastic surgeon and get a buttsuck instead - might be less painful ;P

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2007, 4:42pm

Actually, it was kinda unusual...  I flopped the left side of the bike down onto the street, and somehow wound up sitting upright on my rear, sliding about 10 feet on the wet pavement...  and hopped right back up WITHOUT any roadrash, cuts, etc....  Didn't even tear my shorts, and there's only a minor abrasion on the side of the seat cover, because I had a plastic bag over it...

However, the slide did something I didn't think was possible...    

I got a "wedgie" on my recumbent....   Wink    (then the universe imploded, due to the impossibility)

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2007, 9:23am

oh so thats what the astrophysicists mean when they say "dark matter"

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged