Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 3:03am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favorite Texas Time Trial Moments (Read 2187 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Favorite Texas Time Trial Moments
Oct 1st, 2007, 5:48pm

Use this thread to describe some of your more memorable moments from the TTTT...

[Or, "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"]

One that keeps coming to mind is a scene from my last lap...  I had been cruising pretty well along the backside, feeling better and better, having passed "The Retreat," and daylight was increasing to the point where you could see a good distance without headlight.  After those great couple of fast downhill/rollers, I eventually came to the last long climb before you reach the Goatneck Hill descent, and spotted a guy about a hundred yards ahead of me, standing up on the pedals for that last climb of the lap, working hard....

Number one, I'm thinking, "Last lap, baby, give it all you've got!"

Number two, I'm thinking, "Darnit, he's got a 100 yard head start..."

Number three, I'm thinking, "CARROT!!!" Cheesy

SO, I give chase, up that last, interminably long hill to the crest, keeping "The Big W" in sight, and gain about half the distance on the guy -- but he goes over the top well ahead of me, and as I come over the top, I see he's already about a third of the way down or more, pedaling hard...

SO, I put the pedal to the metal, so to speak, thinking, "I can STILL CATCH him...!!"

Now, this particular descent has three stages to it -- 1) the initial fast descent, where I'd been hitting 40-42 mph;  2) A flatter section, where I would slow to mid-30's, and; 3) another faster section just before the curve to the bridge and the approach to the finish line.   I start pedaling, and hit forty-THREE mph, and I'm gaining on him...   I hit the flatter section, and suddenly I'm REALLY gaining on him, although he's still pedaling, because he's slowed...   I hit the third section, and crank it back up to 43 again, and he's MINE...

But, he doesn't know I'm THERE, as I stealthily come up from behind...   Cool

...and I give him the "DING DING!!" as I blow around him, and I see his head jerk around to the left so hard in shock that his helmet almost came off  Grin Shocked Cheesy and I heard "DUDE!!!!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!"

Yeah, baby....

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007, 5:49pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Favorite Texas Time Trial Moments
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2007, 6:40pm

My best moments were thinking I'd done a 55 minute lap to find I'd done it in 50, and having breakfast with mark Metcalf and having him tell anyone who would listen that I was a fast SOB.  I couldn't ask for a better compliment.  I had plenty of people going "holy crap" when I passed them like they were standing still, but it was all the cheering at the finish, when I had 10 different people asking me for my lap time, that I felt some real pride.

Otherwise, just the realization that WE WERE GOING TO DO IT.   I wasn't sure I was capable of it until we were more than halfway in.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2007, 8:15pm

I have so many great moments, certainly getting to give words of encouragement to my buddies Del, George, and Sharon doing the 500 mile solo.  Every time I passed I'd shout out and give them some dings from the bell.  Another occured when Dennis and I were in the tent Friday afternoon waiting for Jeremy to come back in so Dennis could start his lap, and Dennis and I became engrossed in a conversation with Pat Nolan about his PBP experience when Jerremy rolls up to the tent and shouts HEY!  oops not the smoothest of handoffs, as we had completely forgotten about the race.

Also Like Paul getting to the retreat on that 7th lap and realizing I had no reason to save anything for later and absolutely flying the rest of the way in passing 3 DF riders like they were standing still, and laughing like a madman!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2007, 8:40pm

I couldn't believe how many riders I passed. I knew a lot were 500 mile solo riders who were going to be passed many times by team and shorter distance people. I remembered reading the suggestion in the TTTT rules to give positive remarks to all the other riders on the course, and I decided right away that I was going to do that. Pretty much every time I passed a rider, I said, "Alright, looking GOOD!". One guy, that I went past especially fast, replied back, "Looking better!"

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007, 8:45pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2007, 10:09pm

I did much the same -- most times I passed a slower solo rider, I typically said something along the lines of "keep 'em spinning!" or "looking good!"...   or the classic "And we paid MONEY for this???" on a particularly slow climb section...   and all were typically appreciated and responded to!

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2007, 10:11pm

I'm not sure it would classify as a "favorite" moment, but...

After my sixth lap (and fourth in the ROC jersey), I caught a whiff of myself...  WOW, did I need a shower...    Grin Grin Grin  I can only IMAGINE what Brenda and the RAAM riders were like after 8 days without a shower!!!!!!!!!!

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:48am

So mnay moments stand out.  In no particular order:

The comradeship between cyclists(sharing the same goal of giving it your best)talking/sharing experiences with other riders like Nelson,Ray,Dexter. Having the team stick around for Peggy's ride on Saturday. That was special to me.

Rding at night is friggin' AWESOME-looking ahead on a pitch black course & seeing several blinking lights getting closer & closer as they were about to get passed.  

In my six laps,I was passed twice.

Passing John Schillter twice(who cares if he wasn't as fresh as I was-I still passed him).I know,he was on lap whatever compared to my lap 1 or 4.

The realtively consistant lap time of my lap #4(1hr2min)-& Lap#5(1hr4mins) with an hour rest between the two laps after suffering really bad leg cramps on lap#3.

The crew we had were the best. We would not had the success we did without our wives invovlement. The enthusiasm/encouragement from the wives fun to waych & be part of. They were with us the entire 25 laps/500 miles.

Getting ahead of our assigned riding schedule times that Bud had so diligently prepared,only to be blown up by our fast lap times. Everytime I rode the course, it seemed like Bud & Rose would pass me(in that red pick up) at the lime plant(going in the opposite direction from the state park)to the start/finish line.  At one point,we were so far ahead of schedule, I was about 15-20 minutes from the finish & Bud shows up expecting to have plenty of time to get ready for his lap. Only to be told that I was expected in at the start/finish line any time.  

Watching Peggy ride the tough 100 mile course. She rode her butt off(as we all did).  

41mph on Goatneck hill(daytime speed).  

I could go on...I think I have.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2007, 9:02am

An obvious favorite memory will be "The Crew" and their participation...  I'm sure every one of them (Peggy included!) were thinking  

"What have these lunatics gotten us in to?  Pitching tents with 200 strangers, having to drive several miles back to a campsite just to shower, and sitting around in the heat of the day and far into the night, just having to wait for one of them to pass by once an hour so we can clap our hands???"

Instead, everybody picked up on the friendly competitive spirit of the thing right away, thanks in no small part to Ray's excellent spot reservation for our stuff!  Conversations started up with Dexter and wife about his solo 500 mile attempt, and much was discussed about what was going to be done to help him complete his run -- and many of those same concepts were immediately applied to support the Flyers!

When we started "Flying" around the course faster than we thought we ever would, the excitement became contagious -- and I can't imagine having a better Crew along for support!!!  (Unless we can find some girlfriends....   Grin Wink  INSIDE JOKE!)

I really enjoyed having Terrie along for this -- but that's no surprise, I enjoy having her along for ANYTHING!!!  And thanks to all for the food preparation!!!

Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2007, 7:42pm

This was truly an adventure for me.  I really did enjoy all of it.  It was very nice to finally meet Peggy and Steve.  Enjoyed the conversations with Peggy, Terrie and Alexis!  Our hubbys were awesome!!  They are our "heros"!!  Food was great, dinner at Chilli's was great as well as the company.  Bud and I came home so tired, but it was all worh it!  I am glad I was there to experiece this great adventure with Bud, and SO PROUD OF HIM!  After all was said and done...the best part..was when I heard someone call Bud the "Captain!!  Alright .... Roll Eyes I told Bud....Im married to the Captain!!!!!  Should I say more!!!  kiss

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:03pm by Bud_Bent »  

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2007, 9:40pm

Quote from EZ-Rose on Oct 2nd, 2007, 7:42pm:
This was truly an adventure for me.  I really did enjoy all of it.  It was very nice to finally meet Peggy and Steve.  Enjoyed the conversations with Peggy, Terrie and Alexis!  Our hubbys were awesome!!  They are our "heros"!!  Food was great, dinner at Chilli's was great as well as the company.  Bud and I came home so tired, but it was all worh it!  I am glad I was there to experiece this great adventure with Bud, and SO PROUD OF HIM!  After all was said and done...the best part..was when I heard someone call Bud the "Captain!!  Alright .... Roll Eyes I told Bud....Im married to the Captain!!!!!  Should I say more!!!  kiss

Rose,you are a great person married to great man (and a helluva Captain). I posted earlier that teams success would not have occured without his leadership,determination,& effort.  Words cannot accuratley describe how much you & the rest of our wives played in the teams success. All I can say is "thank you" to Bud,yourself,the"crew" & my teammates. I'm still 10' feet off the ground.

Say all you want....you've earned it.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:14pm

Some of my favorites moments:
First I would like to thank Greg for encouraging me to ride the 100 mile time trial!! Thanks I would have never thought I could. Also thanks to Steve and Mike Parks for putting up with my insecurities and encouraging  me to ride. Or in Steves's case just singing me up for the event.  Even through I had not trained for this event . I'm ok with my times,only one way to go but to get better,stronger, faster!!! I had ridden some Steve's training rides but not with intensity I needed to.

Thanks to the whole team and the ladies for being there for me even after a long night of riding or crewing. Rose for the million dollars hands.Terry for the drinks and ice wating for me when I came in. Alexis for the pasta.

I was so nervous when Steve posted on Baccetta's web site I was"a strong solo female 100 mile rider"and John Schlitter posted back that he would be watching me go, only after meeting him were my nerves put to rest .JS is very supportive of all recumbent riders that my nervous disapeared. This was the most intense thing Ive ever done. But one of the most fulfilling and fun.  
One of the ways I got through each lap was to keep telling myself push, pull,push pull don't mash the pedals.

At about mile 15 or16 of the 20 mile course was a large building called the Reteat I would tell myself see the Reteat you've got it beat. ( the course).

My favorite quote is from a DF rider. I wore a mini mouse jersey to be a girl out there among all the men. I passed this DF rider on one of the first hills and as I passed him he looked over and said" is that mini mouse or mighty mouse on that bike" I smiled and climbed on up the hill.

Next year I will have trained for the hills and I will have more endurance.Look out for Mighty Mouse.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me through this event especailly my loving and supportive husband Mr. Starada.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:34pm

That was way cool when JS came down to congratulate you!!!!!

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2007, 1:38pm

Although this moment kinda beats 'em all....  Tongue

Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2007, 6:38pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Oct 7th, 2007, 1:38pm:
Although this moment kinda beats 'em all.... Tongue

Yep, each of our names on the front page of BROL is pretty cool.

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2007, 6:39pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2007, 4:34pm

We are....SUPASTARS!