Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 6:04am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Today's ride log entry (Read 3577 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Today's ride log entry
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2007, 11:23pm

I went down taking toys on the Santa ride last year and still have the bump on my knee to remind me wet leaves and sand make for poor traction.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2007, 3:23pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 10th, 2007, 6:08pm:
Let's not get too 'bent' out of shape, here... I'm sure it was just a reactionary comment in the heat of the moment. Here are a couple responses I got from posting the facts on the GDB message board:

Ah.  That would explain the e-mail Cheryl got from Ms. Baron.  I didn't realize you'd cross-posted my comments to another forum.

Just to clarify, there was no heat in the moment.  Natalie--who, by the way, is a dear--was upset that there'd been a wreck on her watch, and she was desperately trying to find a reason that it had happened.  She calmly made her preference about not having recumbents or mountain bikes in the group known to me (before she realized she was talking to the recumbent rider), and I'll honor that.

The only thing I feel bad about is that my involvement in the incident is now the only thing some members of the club are going to remember about recumbents.  It's unfortunate, because there's a small number of the membership who already didn't want me on the rides, and now I've given them a reason to feel justified.

Thanks for all the good thoughts, by the way.  Thanks to modern chemistry, the inflammation in my shoulder has finally come down enough so that I've regained nearly normal range of motion in my shoulder again.  There's a bit of crunchiness going on that I'm going to have to mention to my doctor when I go in for my next physical, but it doesn't seem I've destroyed the joint as I first thought.  I've actually been considering going ahead with my plans to ride this weekend's Cotton Patch Classic, but I don't know if my bike will be fixed yet.

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2007, 3:30pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2007, 3:59pm

Hey Foo....look for me at Cotton Patch if you do make it.  I'll be the Cat 5 racer at a rest stop after getting dropped Wink

Sorry for how this went down (you and the sentiment)...

DB

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2007, 5:06pm

Quote from FooRider on Sep 11th, 2007, 3:23pm:

Just to clarify, there was no heat in the moment.  Natalie--who, by the way, is a dear--was upset that there'd been a wreck on her watch, and she was desperately trying to find a reason that it had happened.  She calmly made her preference about not having recumbents or mountain bikes in the group known to me (before she realized she was talking to the recumbent rider), and I'll honor that.

Recumbents OR Mountain Bikes?????  Harder to fathom that reasoning.

And BTW, my cross-post to the GDB discussion board left out pertinent things like names, etc., trying to keep it as anonymous and non-finger-pointing as possible...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2007, 12:09pm

I've had some humorous comments on recent GDB rides since posting about Mike's accident...  and a few people thought it was ME who was in the accident!!!   Last weekend, I hadn't even gotten my bike off the rack before I heard, "I'm sorry, sir, but recumbents aren't allowed on this ride, they're too DANGEROUS!!!"   Grin

I just told 'em they were "Number 1"... Wink

The wisest comment I heard was, "It's not the type of bike, it's the RIDER that makes a bike dangerous or not..."   Not unlike the "it's the nut behind the wheel" corollary for cars...

Get back out there and give 'em what fer, Mikey!!!!

robert.j

rbent member

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2007, 9:12pm

I mentioned this event to my cousin who is a long time PBA member and often leads the tweener group.  He knows who was leading the ride that week and seemed surprised she would take that position.  Anyway, he said he'd talk with her about it.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #21 - Sep 18th, 2007, 9:44pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 11th, 2007, 5:06pm:
Quote from FooRider on Sep 11th, 2007, 3:23pm:

Recumbents OR Mountain Bikes?????  Harder to fathom that reasoning.

And BTW, my cross-post to the GDB discussion board left out pertinent things like names, etc., trying to keep it as anonymous and non-finger-pointing as possible...

PB

Who is "Natalie" trying to be here... the NTSB? Newsflash...they're called accidents,generally occuring from more than more causes. I'm curious,did she find the "black box"? Did she interview witnesses? Any video evidence? Did she secure the "crime Scene"???  What a MENSA ! 'Nuff said.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #22 - Sep 18th, 2007, 10:01pm

Quote from Strada177 on Sep 18th, 2007, 9:44pm:
Who is "Natalie" trying to be here... the NTSB? Newsflash...they're called accidents... [  ... ] 'Nuff said.

Easy there, Steve-O...  Mike's already said she's a nice person, and seems to have overreacted.  Chill, brutha...   Wink

HOWEVER -- if by chance, she's RIGHT....  OMG, we're all going to be in MORTAL DANGER this coming Saturday morning!!!!!!!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2007, 10:02pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #23 - Sep 19th, 2007, 7:08am

Paul's right, Robert  Steve.  

In the wake of the accident, Natalie has taken no official position on recumbents.   I've followed the thread on the PBA site, where there has been some discussion of the crash, and there has been no further talk of specifically banning recumbents or mountain bikes from the Tweener ride.

I tried to word my original post to say that the ride founder voiced her wish (as in "preference") that recumbents not participate in her ride.  She never forbade me to participate and, in fact, backpedaled pretty vigorously when she realized that she was discussing a possible recumbent ban with the recumbent rider.  Of course, there was no taking back her inclination toward doing so, and why would I force the issue by riding where I know I'm not welcome?

I guess the thing that chaps my hide is that the forum discussion has painted the incident as being the fault of some hotshot going off the front, pushing the pace, and pacelining on a ride where paceline riding is expressly prohibited.  The fact is that, at the time of the wreck, I was averaging around 6 feet behind the guy in front, and slightly to the right so I could see around him.  We were rolling at between 16 and 18 mph, but it wasn't consistent--hence my keeping a comfortable buffer.

As to the guy who ran up my back, I suppose the crash might have been my fault for not realizing that I had someone sucking my wheel, despite the fact that you can't draft a recumbent.  On the forum, no names have been mentioned (not that anyone knows mine), and no one has pointed a finger at "that thingy on the recumbent", though it feels that way.  

I admit my perceptions of all this are probably colored by the ride leader's comments and by those of at least one person on another forum (apparently we're sneaky and creep up on other riders without announcing our presence--something DF riders never do).  Maybe I just need to go ride with some people who aren't biased against me because of my bike and get my happy thoughts back.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2007, 8:07am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #24 - Sep 19th, 2007, 8:07am

Quote from FooRider on Sep 19th, 2007, 7:08am:

I guess the thing that chaps my hide is that the forum discussion has painted the incident as being the fault of some hotshot going off the front, pushing the pace, and pacelining on a ride where paceline riding is expressly prohibited.  

Which forum discussion are you describing, Foo?  Not this one, certainly?

We (as a club) don't need unnecessarily harsh or derogatory comments being directed at or received by Natalie, and that was never my intent by sharing the post on the GDB forum.  It was more a concern for common sense thinking by all involved.

On the other hand, Foo, I'd say to get back out there with 'em, and get them used to you being around...  'cause I know you're a good, careful rider, and you're also not the only 'bent in the area -- being a "starter/tweener" ride, it's even more likely to have other 'bent participants in the future !!!

Consider it "community service"...  Cheesy

Paul

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2007, 8:10am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #25 - Sep 19th, 2007, 10:28am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 19th, 2007, 8:07am:
Which forum discussion are you describing, Foo? Not this one, certainly?

No, not this one.  I was referring to the thread over on the PBA club forum.

Quote:
We (as a club) don't need unnecessarily harsh or derogatory comments being directed at or received by Natalie[...]

Absolutely not, which is kind of why I felt like I should attempt to further clarify.

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2007, 10:29am by FooRider »  

WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #26 - Sep 19th, 2007, 4:01pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 18th, 2007, 10:01pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Sep 18th, 2007, 9:44pm:
Who is "Natalie" trying to be here... the NTSB? Newsflash...they're called accidents... [  ... ] 'Nuff said.

Easy there, Steve-O...  Mike's already said she's a nice person, and seems to have overreacted.  Chill, brutha...   Wink

HOWEVER -- if by chance, she's RIGHT....  OMG, we're all going to be in MORTAL DANGER this coming Saturday morning!!!!!!!   Cheesy

As far as being in danger this Saturday,only if there are any railroad tracks present(reference to Farmersville when I broke my hand on a fall at a RR track corssing). I'm likely to take the entire group out.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print