Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 2:34am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Today's ride log entry (Read 3573 times)
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Today's ride log entry
Sep 8th, 2007, 1:15pm

Miles: 25.92;  Avg Spd: 15

PBA Tweener ride. DNF. Crashed out when I had to brake and the rider behind me ran into me.  Came out of the resulting pile-up better than some, but scraped up the frame, bent the derailleur hanger, and bent up both rims (true-able).  Computer and one tire are toast.  Shoulder dislocated during the crash but was able to pop it back in.  Gonna be a Darvocet night.

The ride leader has expressed her wish that I not return to the ride on the grounds that recumbents are dangerous.  Sorry, guys; I've let you down.

(No need to respond.  Just feeling a little disgusted and needed to vent.)

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2007, 1:18pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Today's ride log entry
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2007, 2:59pm

because DFs *never* crash, bump wheels or anything.  What a crock of crud.

BTW, I had a guy from the texas wheels yell at me t'other night for leaving the pack in the dust when we started our ride on the straightaway.  Seems that even though the fast riders catch up with me in the hills, they dislike being taunted by a recumbent a mile ahead of them.   Roll Eyes

When is the next ride this leader is on?  I say we all show up.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2007, 3:00pm

Oh, and of course I'm glad you're not too bad off.  Wish you'd have come ridden with us today man!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2007, 3:32pm

Dang, glad you weren't seriously hurt. Seems like df riders around here are blaming everything except bad mortgages on recumbents these days. What's up with that?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2007, 6:12pm

Quote from FooRider on Sep 8th, 2007, 1:15pm:
Miles: 25.92;  Avg Spd: 15

PBA Tweener ride. DNF. Crashed out when I had to brake and the rider behind me ran into me.  Came out of the resulting pile-up better than some, but scraped up the frame, bent the derailleur hanger, and bent up both rims (true-able).  Computer and one tire are toast.  Shoulder dislocated during the crash but was able to pop it back in.  Gonna be a Darvocet night.

The ride leader has expressed her wish that I not return to the ride on the grounds that recumbents are dangerous.  Sorry, guys; I've let you down.

(No need to respond.  Just feeling a little disgusted and needed to vent.)

First,let me send our thoughts for a quick, healthy recovery. We're very sorry to hear about the injury & the damage to the bike. Second,up theirs with that kind of arrogant/pompous attitude. Biking accidents happen regardless of uprights or recumbents. I thought the PBA= Pro Bowlers Association?! Forget her & her lame bike club!!!  

Like Greg,I'm tempted to show just crash their little ride,but I don't BOWL vey well!!  You didn't let anyone down. Take care. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

The Stradas

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
woodog

rbent member

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2007, 11:48am

Quote from FooRider on Sep 8th, 2007, 1:15pm:

Glad you are okay. Her 'wish' is absurd and can be taken to logical extremes. Racing is dangerous. Driving is dangerous. Bikes are dangerous. Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition.  

Sorry you had a bad experience.  

woo

hey hey hey hey hey hey.... C'mere. What kind of bike is *that*?
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2007, 9:14am

And this note, from the GDB Airport Ride this Saturday....

...must have hit a crack or bump on Valley View, west of Marsh, and lost control.. he went down hard… helmet was crushed in back…several riders had to avoid the crash.

He had three cracked ribs on left side with a collapsed lung along with his left shoulder broken. Its going to take time to heal.   He may be there up to 10 days total for pain and breathing control.  

It ain't just the 'bents, for sure...  Sorry you're banged up, Mikey!!!

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2007, 9:34am

Foo,

I care little about the scared roadies whinning. I seem to remember some glorious wrecks and quite a bit of blood in previous tour de Frances. Seems there were no recumbents invoved. I am glad your ok. If you gotta crash its best done on a bent. Sad to hear the bike was pranged. I did notice as I went into the office bedroom this morning that my Corsa had shed a little tear.  I am confident that you will ride again to make the DFrs carp some more. They are just jealous that you can go so fast without torturing your body.  

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2007, 11:07am

Quote from Richard on Sep 10th, 2007, 9:34am:
....They are just jealous that you can go so fast without torturing your body.

...and so far, too...   I just did a 150 mile ride from Wylie to Yantis and back yesterday, and from about mile 90 on, I was starting to hear the "wanna trade seats?" jokes / not-jokes...   Grin

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2007, 5:44pm

I still wanna know who the ride leader is.  It's worth the drive to to annoy them.   Wink

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2007, 6:08pm

Let's not get too 'bent' out of shape, here...  I'm sure it was just a reactionary comment in the heat of the moment.   Here are a couple responses I got from posting the facts on the GDB message board:

1)  Their (actually OUR since I'm a PBA member) ride leader is ignorant. Is she planning on banning tandems next? Tandems are a lot more freaky/hard to control than recumbents are.

2) It is unfortunate that this was said to Mike. We rarely have recumbents on any of the PBA rides. This may have led to some discomfort in the group, particularly since the Tweener group tends to have less experienced riders. I'm sure an offline discussion with [the leaders] would resolve any issues.

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2007, 7:34pm

excellent.  Glad to know that's not the PBA's consensus.  Just seems like there's been way too much anti-bent sentiment in the area lately and it's starting to fray my nerves.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2007, 8:10pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 10th, 2007, 7:34pm:
excellent.  Glad to know that's not the PBA's consensus.  Just seems like there's been way too much anti-bent sentiment in the area lately and it's starting to fray my nerves.

Exactly. To blame a prticular style of bicycle for an accident is short-sided. We all ride & we all know(and most of us have crashed)the risks.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2007, 9:31pm

Quote from Strada177 on Sep 10th, 2007, 8:10pm:
We all ride & we all know(and most of us have crashed)the risks.

Was that a "shot" at Ms. Strada???   Grin Cheesy Wink

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2007, 10:09pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 10th, 2007, 9:31pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Sep 10th, 2007, 8:10pm:
We all ride & we all know(and most of us have crashed)the risks.

Was that a "shot" at Ms. Strada???   Grin Cheesy Wink

Never(publically anyway). That was my self-deprecating humor(as I crashed & burned last year & ended up with a broken hand as a result of a nasty railroad crossing in Farmersville). Besides, Mrs. Strada reads this forum too.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print