Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 5:14pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tires -- opening the can of worms (Read 4127 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Tires -- opening the can of worms
Sep 4th, 2007, 1:10pm

This twice-now sidewall/tread separation problem with the Specialized Pro 1" bugs me, enough that I'm looking into alternative tire brands.  The things I liked about the tire was that it was light (220g), high pressure (120psi), and yet still apparently had extra puncture protection.

I'm tempted to go back to the Specialized Fatboy slick 1.25", although its weight is more like 360g.

Any thoughts/experiences with the Schwalbe Stelvio 26"???

What're the tires you Strada/Corsa people are using, and are happy with?  Granted, they're probably not 26" / 559s, but just for reference...

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2007, 1:15pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Tires -- opening the can of worms
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007, 1:53pm

Hi Paul,

been using the Schwalbe Stevio's for my rando wheels this year.  I have about 2000 miles on the set, and the rear still has plenty of wear.  Highly recommended.  I had the Primo Comets on my Stratus, and they rolled fast, and wore like iron.  Didn't think quite as much of them in the wet, but just took it easy.  Awfully good tire for the price.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2007, 3:27pm

Everyone gripes about the limited tire choices for 650c wheels, but there are even fewer when it comes to 26" skinny tires. The only ones I read good reviews on were the Stelvios and Continental Grand Prix's, and most reviewers gave the Grand Prix's better marks for wear, so that's what I'm trying on the 26" HED's on my Corsa, but I only have one, with the other on the way, so I can't give a personal review yet.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2007, 6:30pm

Well I have had very good results with my Kenda Kwick Roller in 700C, they also have it in a ISO 559 size:

212424      L3R/ IRON CAP      F/R      26x1.25      Folding      60      50-85      375±20g      $27.99

That's the full retail price from Kenda, mail or web order. The 60 between the folding and the 50-85 PSI rating is the TPI of the casing.  

Now if you're on a tighter budget or just don't like flat resistant tires:

212423      L3R      F/R      26x1.25      Folding      60      50-85      300±15g      $25.99

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2007, 8:22pm

I used the stelvios on my baron and never saw any trea wear whatsoever.   John Foltz complained he had tread separation twice within a few hundred miles on his, but I think they've changed the tire since then.  Seem to be very durable and very fast.  I'm giving conti gp's a try, but I still have stelvios on the p-38.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2007, 8:17am

I'm not bagging on the Specialized brand as such, just this particular "Pro" version doesn't seem to work for someone who puts the stress on it that I apparently do...  I've used the Specialized 'Fatboy slick' 1.25" very successfully in the past.

On my Alex rims, I'm currently running 1.25" GEAX Street Runners, given to me by a GDB pal -- they seem to run pretty well -- solid "slick" center, tread toward the sides...

PCF said they would warranty replace the tire, so I'm taking it up there for them to see...  but I'll probably go for the Stelvio

PB

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2007, 5:59pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 5th, 2007, 8:17am:
I'm not bagging on the Specialized brand as such, just this particular "Pro" version doesn't seem to work for someone who puts the stress on it that I apparently do...  I've used the Specialized 'Fatboy slick' 1.25" very successfully in the past.

On my Alex rims, I'm currently running 1.25" GEAX Street Runners, given to me by a GDB pal -- they seem to run pretty well -- solid "slick" center, tread toward the sides...

PCF said they would warranty replace the tire, so I'm taking it up there for them to see...  but I'll probably go for the Stelvio

PB

Alex rims??? I just spoke with Bacchetta & darn if Rich(Bacchetta guy) wasn't telling me about Alex rims(320dx tri). He was raving about the rims. I asked where I could buy the rims,he said he would sell them to me for $275 for the set(tax/shipping & rim tape). Bladed spokes,<3 lbs in weight. I pulled the trigger.  

I use the Michelin Ironman tires(low rolling resistance,with decent puncture protection).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2007, 10:02pm

The Schwalbe Stelvio's are good as well as the Schwalbe Marathon Racers, however I did destroy the Racer within a week on a cattle guard. For the money it is hard to beat the Kwest Kaliente's or the Primo Comets. The Michelin's are good and the Continental's are good too. In some respects it depends on what kind of "feel" you like and how much money you wnat to spend. My vote for the best cheap is Kwest and the most expensive Continentals. YMMV.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2007, 10:21pm

Quote from Strada177 on Sep 5th, 2007, 5:59pm:

Alex rims??? I just spoke with Bacchetta & darn if Rich(Bacchetta guy) wasn't telling me about Alex rims(320dx tri). He was raving about the rims. I asked where I could buy the rims,he said he would sell them to me for $275 for the set(tax/shipping & rim tape). Bladed spokes,<3 lbs in weight. I pulled the trigger.

I'm referring to the "stock" Alex DA-16 rims that came on the bike.  I got the Velocity Thracians last October for "faster" opportunities...

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2007, 10:31pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 5th, 2007, 10:21pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Sep 5th, 2007, 5:59pm:

I'm referring to the "stock" Alex DA-16 rims that came on the bike.  I got the Velocity Thracians last October for "faster" opportunities...

Gotcha. The Alex rims I'm talking about aren't stock, the 320dx tri came highly recommended over the Velocity Sparatcus Pro rims(much lighter). Like youreslf,I like "faster" opportunities. These wheels are a definite step up over the stock Strada rims. Just in time for the TTTT. I'll take a 1 mph bump in speed.

Still,you can't go wrong with the Schwalbe's or Michelin tires(IMHO).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2007, 6:54am

Conti Ultra Gator Skins - 1000+ miles and counting!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print