Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 7:11am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pedals (Read 2899 times)
Cookie

rbent member

Pedals
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:00am

Hi all:
I am a NEWBE to this site and to Recumbent bikes. I guess to be more accurate I'm new to serious biking. Been into hiking (backpacking) , short and long distant trails for several years. I am now tooking at doing some serious road biking.
While I was at the bike shop the other day I noticed there were a ton of different pedals available ( in design and price )   .  I am looking at getting a Rans Stratus XP or LE bike. Any suggestions out there, that might help me out, would be appreciated. Smiley

Cookie

Cookie
Use to walk but Now I ride
2007 Rans Stratus XP

Bent in Granbury
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Re: Pedals
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2007, 11:23am

I've been happy with SPD cleats.  This is a common format for mountain biking and shoes are a lot more comfortable.  SPD cleats are recessed into the bottom of the shoe so you can walk in them.  I'm using Shimano PDM324 pedals that are SPD on one side and open cage on the other, handy for starting up hills where you might not have time to get in cleats till you get up a little speed.  They should be $75, more or less.

If you're in to nothing but speed you might want to go with some other cleat type and road bike shoes.  They're a lot stiffer and will transmit a little more power to the pedals.  Many different formats are available.  I'm sure someone else will make a good suggestion.
I'm a little more of a "comfort" type guy!
Good luck finding something, both bike and pedals.  I don't know anyone who's had a Stratus XP that isn't very happy with it.  If you'd be interested in a used XP let me know.  I might know of one that's available and in perfect shape.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2007, 11:39am

Welcome to the forum, Cookie. If you ever really want to get an argument going among a group of riders, just tell them that one particular brand of pedals is best. Everyone ends up deciding on their own which one is their favorite.

The spd's that Robert mentions are good clipless pedals to start out with. They're relatively inexpensive, and easy to get into and out of. They might be all you'll ever want, or you might eventually decide you need something better. Either way, they're good first time clipless pedals.

Bebops are my personal favorite, and on all my bikes.

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2007, 11:40am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2007, 11:33pm

It somewhat depends on how you anticipate riding, whether you'll only ride with "clipped shoes" or not.  I've had the Shimano "half platform / half SPD" on mine for two years, because I occasionally work commute, and sometimes ride with street shoes.  There is minimal weight advantage from one pedal type to another.

Paul
(Stratus XP)

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2007, 6:42am

As a starter, it's hard to go wrong with the shimano system, but you'll likely graduate to something else eventually.  I also have and love bebops, but the look keo seems like it's good for bents as well.  

More important is a good shoe.  If you know you're going to stick with clipless pedals, you must have a good shoe.  FOr my money, it's nothing but sidi, and consider mountain style shoes.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MkCharlie

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2007, 9:36pm

Cookie,
Concerning the Stratus XP issue, I am considering selling mine. contact me if interested in seeing/discussing.  
Charlie
817-845-0783

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:48am

Quote from MkCharlie on Aug 21st, 2007, 9:36pm:
Cookie,
Concerning the Stratus XP issue, I am considering selling mine. contact me if interested in seeing/discussing.
Charlie
817-845-0783

What're you considering changing to, Charlie???  And why?

PB

MkCharlie

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2007, 9:24am

Hi Paul. to answer your question, let me give you the short answer - remember, this is the short answer.  

Since my back surgery, I have been able to enjoy my upright without back pain. Since I have seriously ridden uprights since 1969, it is a joy to be able to again do so. Secondly, I bought back and brought back my original recumbent - a Bacchetta Strada from California this summer. It currently satisfies my recumbent needs although I would love to have a V3 for the weight and longer wheelbase and may still get one. If I do or not, the Stratus XP is an extra bike. You will recall that I told you when we first met that I preferred the V2 Formula that was stolen necessitating the purchase of the XP. I have been very satisfied with it, but still prefer the higher BB. Finally, at my age I am not getting stronger - just the opposite. I am beginning to feel my age. I'm still able to ride well, but have lost the edge I have enjoyed most of my riding career. I need to be more careful about overdoing. Fortunately, I have had a long, enjoyable experience bicycling (38 years) and feel less motivated to be the strongest rider in the pack. I am a guitarist, archer, handgun shooter, motorcyclist, active in my church, father of 6, grandfather of 15, great grandfather of 2 and have plenty of enjoyment of life outside of cycling.

Remember, this is the short answer! - now aren't you glad you asked??

Thanks for you interest, Charlie

Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2007, 12:09pm

Yeah, I figure with Charlie getting weaker I should be able to catch him going up a hill maybe when he turns 93 or so.  And that assumes I keep getting stronger!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2007, 7:08pm

LOL, Robert. It IS nice of him to decide to let some of us keep up now.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 9:29pm

Nick Oliver pulled a fast one on me, with his $600 budget plans, then pulling the trigger on the SXP all of a sudden -- We coulda sent him Charlie's way, although I think he used a credit card for his purchase...  Charlie probably doesn't take those...   Roll Eyes

Charlie, whatever bike makes you happy!!  I'm sure you're just as formidable on the Strada as anything else!!!!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print