Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 1:57pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paul Thumbies installed (Read 3031 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Paul Thumbies installed
Aug 20th, 2007, 2:25pm

I don't have any pictures yet, but yesterday evening I installed my Paul Thumbies, and moved my bar ends off the bar ends.  I mounted them up so they are on top of the brake levers, thinking that under might not leave enough clearence with the tweener bars.  Now I think they would be OK there, and might actually work better.  Anyway so far I like them but had 2 slight issues.  One is that because of a bend in the Bacchetta tweener bars, I effectively had to move my brake levers down a little bit.  Two they do somewhat interfere with getting my whole hand on the brake levers.  I sure it would help to have a picture, which I will try to do tonight.  Does anybody else use these, and have any tips?  I do like having a bit more freedom on turns now, as the bars are not as likely to hit my legs, now that the levers are not there.

attached is an installation like mine.

The only idea I have other than running them on the inside (ie switching mounts to the other side) is to rotate the axis of operation around the bar away from parallel with the brake operation to have room for fully gripping the brake.  Still not sure that is better though.  I'll give it some time to see if it bugs me, or I get used to it.

Take Care,
Nelson.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2007, 2:28pm by Kwijybow »  

thumbies_ontop.jpg

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Paul Thumbies installed
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2007, 4:39pm

I'll be curious to see how these work out for you. As much as I don't like twist shifters, I've stayed with mine on my Corsa because I haven't seen anything else I think I'd like better.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2007, 6:39am

Bud, I'm not going to install these thumbies I have for a while, and maybe never if I've finally gotten the twisties to work on the tica.   let me know if you want to borrow them and experiment.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2007, 8:17pm

Here is a link to some pictures of my thumbies

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nelson_ralls/sets/72157601589280902/

I commuted to work today with them, I think I like them.  Definitely gets me out of death grip mode, which seemed to happen with the sram grip shifts.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:15pm

I just wanted to show the old Shimano thumbies and thier position on the grip. I cannot find this one in a 9 speed.

DSC00318.JPG

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print