Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 5:54am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem with Velocity Thracian wheel (Read 5596 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Problem with Velocity Thracian wheel
Jul 30th, 2007, 4:53pm

Back in October, I had purchased a set of the Velocity Thracian wheels for the SXP, as a birthday present to myself...  I expressed concerns at that time whether they would hold my weight (220), and was told they should hold up just fine, and Velocity would guarantee them.  PCF did the spokes, and I have never broken a spoke on them in over 2000 miles of riding.  

As mentioned elsewhere, yesterday I noticed a "ticking" sound coming from the rear wheel on my SXP, and found what appeared to be a loosened spoke, and thought it was due to a stripped thread on the spoke nipple...   But it performed OK for the rest of the century ride yesterday...

[Side note -- different issue:   As I was cleaning the bike last night after the 10-mile rainstorm we had gone through, having it up on the rack, I spun the back wheel to check the spokes again -- and could hear water sloshing around inside the wheel!  I wound up removing the tire/tube from both back and front wheels, and had water drain out the valve hole from inside the "triangular" rim body.]

I found and examined the suspect spoke again, and it had loosened up again --- So, I switched out to my old AlexDA wheels, and this morning took the offending Velocity up to PCF, and handed it to a tech.  A few minutes later, he brought the wheel back to me, saying, "You've got several places with cracks forming, and a couple bad ones!"

Sure enough, there were at least 5 spots where cracks were starting to form where the spoke nipple enters the rim -- I had never really examined it that closely (with my reading glasses on - natch!) before then!!!   They've got a call in to Velocity now to determine replacement conditions.  I haven't been home yet to check the front wheel -- but it doesn't carry the same stress, so it's probably OK.

Anybody else have these wheels, or a similar issue of cracks forming at spoke holes?   I believe that would have truly sucked, to have had that rear wheel fail during a 35 mph downhill or turn... (!!!!)   cry

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Problem with Velocity Thracian wheel
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2007, 5:23pm

Dang, I've never heard any bad stories about the Thracians before. Have you asked Charlie about his? Of course, his have 60 pounds less running on them...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2007, 9:28pm

Paul,

I have the Thracian wheels on the Cafe. Haven't had any issues but they only have 800 miles on them.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2007, 10:55pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jul 30th, 2007, 5:23pm:
Of course, his have 60 pounds less running on them...

Oh, so ye be a-callin' me a Lard-Butt, then, are ye??   Grin

OK, I can take a little constructive criticism from the TTTT-Team Captain...   Wink

And no, the front Thracian shows NO evidence of cracks forming...  but it only carries 30% of the load!

Richard

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2007, 9:07am

Paul,

I guess we will find out what kind of company Velocity USA really is. Plano Cycling should have handed you a new one on the spot. It really bugs me for top end manufacturers to wobble on their warranties.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2007, 9:29am

My stock velocity wheelset that came on my Corsa has been pretty good so far, although I did have to tighten up the rear spokes after a couple thousand miles.  I did go inspect them last night after your report of cracks, and thankfully didn't find any.  I did get some cracks on my stock Lemond wheels though (Bontrager Selects) that PCF guys found for me this spring, I doubt I would have noticed until it was too late.  So I appreciate them taking a look.  I think it must be a fairly common failure mode on the current generation of non eyelet low spoke count rims.  The 26" velocity fusion rims I have on my rando wheelset are awesome, but they have 32 spokes also.  Good Luck with the warranty return, I was pleased that even after 4 years Bontrager warrantied the Select rear wheel.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2007, 9:45am

Quote from Richard on Jul 31st, 2007, 9:07am:
Plano Cycling should have handed you a new one on the spot.

Nah, it's not something they stock...  I'm sure they'll cover things right.

PB

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2007, 5:45pm

Yesterday when going up hills and other low speed (ie quiet) situations where the torgue was on the rear wheel I kept hearing sorta muffled tonks.  It sounded very much like loose drive side spokes, but upon investigation today they seem to be in pretty good shape.  I found no cracks either but I may bump up the overall tension of the wheel just in case.  Anybody have any other ideas?  I've generally been pleased with these velocitys that came stock on my Corsa, but I'm a bit leary of paired low spoke count wheels in general.  Even though they are slower I'd ride my 26" rando wheels, but if I don't want to have to keep changing the brakes when I take of the 650c TT wheels.  Anybody else with a 650c wheel recumbent have wheel recommendations for a fast everyday wheel?

Thanks,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2007, 8:46pm

I had a 406 and a 559 on the baron, low spoke thracians,a nd they were the shizz.  Absolutely true, silent, and SPEEDY.  I'd say you got a random malfunction,  cry

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2007, 11:23pm

Still no response from Velocity, apparently... I'm getting a bit perturbed...  Doubt I'll have my wheels in time for Saturday... but I should at least have the SXP back with the new handlebar clamp.

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2007, 9:05am

This SUCKS...  Velocity apparently is not returning any phone calls to the guy at PCF, as of last Friday...!!!

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2007, 8:12pm

OK, as of this afternoon (8/13), a replacement wheel is on its way, at no charge...   Smiley

Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2007, 9:33pm

Very good! Maybe it will be like Mark Metcalfe and his Cannondale lifetime guarantee frame. He's already collected his third replacement from them.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2007, 9:48pm

Got the wheel Friday, and it's already got 125+ miles on it...   Smiley   So, we'll see how this one lasts!   I've already noticed that the "dish" isn't quite the same as before -- I don't have to recenter my brake pads when switching wheels, whereas I used to have to.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print