Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 10:10pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
September 8 Recumbent Ride in Flower Mound (Read 9389 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Re: September 8 Recumbent Ride in Flower Mound
Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2007, 10:11am

Paul - the ride starts at 8am.  We will be there by 7:30am.  We will park across from Chilis, and will be in a silver Lexus SUV.  Our LBS, Bicycles Plus is a few doors down from Chilis and will be open by the time we finish, in case anyone needs anything.

Also if anyone would like to discuss anything, my cell number is 817-975-8638.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #31 - Sep 9th, 2007, 5:32pm

I'd like to thank those who came out to Flower Mound yesterday.  

Dianna (sp?) was gracious enough to bring an extra bike so my wife could experience "going bent".  They drove to the High School and rode together.  Angie really liked it, even thought a blow torch couldn't get the pedals off the EZ-1.  Smiley

The rest of us rode a 50 mile route:  Ken, Steve, Peggy, Greg, Bud, Paul, and myself. Hopefully I didnt' miss anyone.  As Greg continually reminded me... We need to ride this route again, though going the opposite directions as at least 100 roadies in various size groups wizzed by in the opposite direction.  The one time a racing team was going the same directions as we did, and as we approached a 3/4 mile climb at 7-8% my chain got jammed in my rear derailurer and I had to stop  cry

Paul took some pictures and I can't wait to see them.  One was with some horses were laying down, looking paralyzed.  

Dianna and Angie finished before the rest of us, so Dianna missed the great laughs at Chilis.  Oh, did I mention a secret huddle where the "Reclining Flyers TTT Team" discussed strategy and made sure I couldnt' hear.  Little did they know that 20 years of ear piercing rock concerts have destroyed my hearing  Wink

One final thought; while I really enjoyed "trying to ride" with everyone, I am very worried about TTTT.  These guys (oops, and Ms. Strada177 too) are so incredibly fast, I couldn't  keep close to them if they all rode in their small chain ring.  

Looking forward to chasing down the roadies next time!!!!!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #32 - Sep 9th, 2007, 5:58pm

Sorry I missed riding with you folks!  I was thinking longly of the nice Flower Mound roads and good bent company while I struggled with couches, a piano, and assorted other heavy furniture while moving my inlaws.  Pretty sore today, especially as it took a couple more van fulls of moving this afternoon, but looking forward to next weekends brevets out of Cleburne, and seeing you guys at the TTTT.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #33 - Sep 9th, 2007, 6:39pm

Oh yeah - loved the ride.  Nice distance, nice scenery, plenty of rabbits to chase (the two-wheeled kind), and great company.  Nice hills to tackle to really get the heart rate going, and some smooth downhills as well that you can really crank up the speed on.  Good curves to lay the bike down and power through.  No gravel to skid you out, and few holes in the road.  In short - a perfect route.  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Sep 9th, 2007, 7:59pm

It was good to meet and see everyone yesterday and sorry about the pedals on the EZ.  However, when we got back to the High School, Angie rode the V-Rex and I think that is her preference. She seemed to like the short wheel base better.   Thanks for putting together the ride.

IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #35 - Sep 9th, 2007, 10:00pm

Quote from bikerteam on Sep 9th, 2007, 5:32pm:

Dianna (sp?) was gracious enough to bring an extra bike so my wife could experience "going bent".  They drove to the High School and rode together.  Angie really liked it, even thought a blow torch couldn't get the pedals off the EZ-1.  Smiley

The rest of us rode a 50 mile route:  Ken, Steve, Peggy, Greg, Bud, Paul, and myself. Hopefully I didnt' miss anyone.  As Greg continually reminded me... We need to ride this route again, though going the opposite directions as at least 100 roadies in various size groups wizzed by in the opposite direction.  The one time a racing team was going the same directions as we did, and as we approached a 3/4 mile climb at 7-8% my chain got jammed in my rear derailurer and I had to stop  cry

Paul took some pictures and I can't wait to see them.  One was with some horses were laying down, looking paralyzed.  

Dianna and Angie finished before the rest of us, so Dianna missed the great laughs at Chilis.  Oh, did I mention a secret huddle where the "Reclining Flyers TTT Team" discussed strategy and made sure I couldnt' hear.  Little did they know that 20 years of ear piercing rock concerts have destroyed my hearing  Wink

One final thought; while I really enjoyed "trying to ride" with everyone, I am very worried about TTTT.  These guys (oops, and Ms. Strada177 too) are so incredibly fast, I couldn't  keep close to them if they all rode in their small chain ring.  

Ray,thank you for a well organized ride. It was nice to meet you & Angie. As always with group rides,I enjoy the food/drinks as much as the ride themselves. Good times with good people. No worries about the "secret huddle". We were discussing what food would be easiest to prepare at the campsite. darn,now the secret is out.  

And as far as keeping up with us(Recliners)...there were a couple of times when you blew by me like I was stanidng still. You have the trump card regarding the TTTT-EXPERIENCE!!

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #36 - Sep 10th, 2007, 6:04pm

Definitely a good ride, and a good route, worth doing more than once again!  Matter of fact, doing it twice would make for a hard Century, for sure...   You've got a great Training Ground there for Cleburne, Ray!!!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #37 - Sep 10th, 2007, 7:35pm

Quote from bikerteam on Sep 9th, 2007, 5:32pm:

One final thought; while I really enjoyed "trying to ride" with everyone, I am very worried about TTTT. These guys (oops, and Ms. Strada177 too) are so incredibly fast, I couldn't keep close to them if they all rode in their small chain ring.

I see you took a page out of Bud's book for that one - SANDBAGGER!  Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #38 - Sep 11th, 2007, 5:24am

Paul - where do you post your ride pictures?  I especially would like to see the one of the 3 horses laying down....

note to Steve and Peggy:  Since your fellow "performance laiden" (ha, like that word 'laiden') rbent family are members of Lone Star Randonneurs, and are participating in ultra cycling events, we need you both to participate.  

Have a great week everyone, and I look forward to riding together soon.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #39 - Sep 11th, 2007, 12:24pm

Quote from bikerteam on Sep 11th, 2007, 5:24am:

note to Steve and Peggy:  Since your fellow "performance laiden" (ha, like that word 'laiden') rbent family are members of Lone Star Randonneurs, and are participating in ultra cycling events, we need you both to participate.  

I think this is a classic case of "Misery Loves Company"    Wink

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #40 - Sep 11th, 2007, 12:49pm

Here are my pics....   I didn't get the horses, unfortunately.    And Greg, naughty, naughty!!!

It seems to me that Ken needs to move his seat forward an inch or so -- the photos show his leg stretched out straight at extension, but isn't that a bit too far?  What say ye, Bacchetta peoples???

http://public.fotki.com/pbacoustic/cycling/rbent-argylefm-ride/  

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2007, 12:50pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Bud_Bent

Reply #41 - Sep 11th, 2007, 1:56pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 11th, 2007, 12:49pm:
Here are my pics....   I didn't get the horses, unfortunately.    And Greg, naughty, naughty!!!

It seems to me that Ken needs to move his seat forward an inch or so -- the photos show his leg stretched out straight at extension, but isn't that a bit too far?  What say ye, Bacchetta peoples???

Well, if you want to criticize, it looks like Ken's handlebars should be a foot lower, too.

Was the camera dragging the pavement when you took that shot of Greg?  Nice photos.

And nice ride, Ray. Thanks!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #42 - Sep 11th, 2007, 3:51pm

Quote from bikerteam on Sep 11th, 2007, 5:24am:
Paul - where do you post your ride pictures?  I especially would like to see the one of the 3 horses laying down....

Have a great week everyone, and I look forward to riding together soon.  

Ok..when/where(as long as the events are after the TTTT's)are the events? Count the "Stradas" in!!! Yeah, I'm kinda fond of the word "laiden" as well.  

Greg,Peggy got a clean bill of health from the "doc",so she has no excuses of not riding the 100 miles at the TTTT's. Hold her to that $150 bet!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #43 - Sep 11th, 2007, 3:55pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 11th, 2007, 12:49pm:

Yep,I would move the seat forward about an inch or so for starters(IMO).  And Greg needs to lower his middle finger an inch or so!!
Great shot Greg!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #44 - Sep 11th, 2007, 4:55pm

Thanks for the picx Paul. I agree, #20 is awesome.  You're a multi-skilled, multi-tasking, hmm multi-iconiclastic, multi-laiden (I couldn't resist) cyclist.  

Steve, for upcoming events, go to http://lonestarrandon.tripod.com/
and click on 2007 Brevet Schedule.  These are only the "scheduled" events.  

Any member can choose from an existing route, from 100k-1000k.  

Here's a link from the RUSA (Randonneur USA) site:  
http://www.rusa.org/cgi-bin/permsearch_GF.pl
Pick "TX" in the state drop down, and sort by distance.  This will show you all the available rides by distance in the state.  Persoanly, I do at least one 200k per month.  In April I completed my 12 consecutive months of at least one 200k per month.  I received a very nice/engraved medal for my efforts.  Nelson Ralls rode most of them with me, and can attest to many an epic ride.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print